Wiki Posts
Search

What’s the best engine air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What’s the best engine air filter

Most of the searches looking at other brand name motors seem to all show foam air filters.

I have seen pictures of some that have a blue hard plastic outer shell but I don’t know what they are called.

The question is what’s the best air filter and is there anything that’s not made from foam,and if there is are they worth it?.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Novarossi INS Box, that would be the blue cased thing, other companies also make an INS box, it's a newish thing to do with making nitro cars a bit more quiet, could be required in all forms of nitro at some stage, to keep the dirty hippies off our backs...

All filters will have some oiled foam in them somewhere, even the INS Box is just a box around an oiled foam filter, and with good reason, 'nothing' traps dirt like oiled foam, it's the most efficient form filter.

Best air filter?, probably most are as just fine, buy one you can live with, I went with a Motorsaver just because I like that they keep the oiled foam within something, stop it from picking up surface dirt, you can brush build up off the mesh cage.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aussie
Most of the searches looking at other brand name motors seem to all show foam air filters.

I have seen pictures of some that have a blue hard plastic outer shell but I don’t know what they are called.

The question is what’s the best air filter and is there anything that’s not made from foam,and if there is are they worth it?.
I think oiled foam filters with a pre filter is good for off road as it is easy to change the pre filter as required through out the day.

I think the hard case ones are more for on-road were there is less dust
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

OK thanks guys for the replies,i'll stick with what works oiled foam filters.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

One thing I have noticed on engines is a large number of users have fitted ho bao filters but not on ho bao engines.
Are they being used to possibly make the engine breath better being a larger size ?
Would someone like to put their thoughts forward.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

its not really so much as brand but what works so just make sure its low profile so it fits well under the body some are bulky and tangle with brake linkages etc etc, be sure it fits very snug on your carbie throat, most filters have the option of being totally disasembled so you can clean it totally, also be sure that you can source more air filter elements easily as there are so many sizes out there, I have an xray low profile and team associated low profile on my buggy and truggy that work very well. I also run a after market washable lycra sock you get them on ebay.
cheers
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Some people I have spoken to say they throw away the foam filters after a days race.
What about washing them out with soapy water,drying them and refitting using filter oil.
Mine has an outer layer and inner which is thicker on the losi truggy and I really can’t see dust getting to the motor through so much foam.
Is this a good or bad idea.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

a new one is always gonna be better but as long as you cleen them properlly you wont have a problem
Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aussie
Some people I have spoken to say they throw away the foam filters after a days race.
What about washing them out with soapy water,drying them and refitting using filter oil.
Mine has an outer layer and inner which is thicker on the losi truggy and I really can’t see dust getting to the motor through so much foam.
Is this a good or bad idea.
it might get a bit $$$ I wash my filters for both onroad and offroad out with the fuel that I use never had a problem and they come up clean