Wiki Posts
Search

Ryde Rally Racers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Ryde Rally Racers

just wanted to start a thread up for the rally drivers!
there has been some talk about starting up a class for them and i for one am all for it! so much i just converted my TT-01 to a rally car, goes ok too
will post up some pics soon.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Love the name 'Ryde rally racers"
Ok I'm going to have to put out a request, has anyone got a suitable car which can be conveted to Rally, I can only afford "cheap" as my trip to the UK cost more than I expected, mainly due to Vintage RC purchases.
I hear the TA02 chassis is a good starting point (even though it is a Tamiya)
Real looking forward to seeing most of you tommorrow at Ryde, I'll see the people who are going for practice a Castle hill soon
Peace out
Steve
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default CAT2000 'RALLY CAR"

Ive been thinking of this class for a while also. Ive already had this Corolla body mounted to a Cat2000 buggy. Count me in gents....

Old 09-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

i know it is like real late but is there going to be a rally demo at lunch today???
Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Jason, that's not a rally car, it's a buggy with a body

We're all talking touring car sized rally cars.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

well gave the tt-01 and kyosho alpha 3 a run in novice class and they got around the track pretty good considering the track is not in the best condition,
will see how they go next time
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Dave, might I suggest a VERY thin lexan sheet or book covering vinyl or something for the bottom of the TT. That was dragging a lot of stuff around under there because of all the odd shaped relief's in the chassis.

It was good to see them going around though.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

you guys should take them out to Castle Hill for a run, the track there is ideal for rally cars, Sean and Peli were eyes wide open when looking at the layout today.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker
Jason, that's not a rally car, it's a buggy with a body

We're all talking touring car sized rally cars.
Steve, I think your touring car sized rally cars have been around all of what-five minutes. When you said rally I thought you meant 1/10th rally cars, not 1/12th scale. I think if you compare the rally cars you are talking about with the Tamiya 1/12th Porsche then you'll find the cars you want to run are more of a 1/12th scale. All the way through the 80's and early 90's it was common to find many 'buggy's fitted with rally car bodies.
Guess i'll have to sit this one out then.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BORMAC
Steve, I think your touring car sized rally cars have been around all of what-five minutes. When you said rally I thought you meant 1/10th rally cars, not 1/12th scale. I think if you compare the rally cars you are talking about with the Tamiya 1/12th Porsche then you'll find the cars you want to run are more of a 1/12th scale. All the way through the 80's and early 90's it was common to find many 'buggy's fitted with rally car bodies.
Guess i'll have to sit this one out then.
Sorry mate, I guess you've not been privy to discussions.

I know that used to be the way, and for about 9 months in 91 I ran a Sierra body on my Sonic Fighter in 2wd stock.

BTW, this 5 minutes you speak of, is 17 years ( the first TA-01 Rally car, a Celica) Some times we have to just live in the present.

How ever you are more than welcome to run the Cat in 4WD.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

How ever you are more than welcome to run the Cat in 4WD.
No thats alright I'll just sit back and watch. I was getting excited at the thought of running a rally car and thought the CAT/Corolla would finaly find a class to run in. No dramas.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

u have got the 2.2 HPI Super Rally shell looking at the width and the orange sticker on the roof?

have u tryed getting touring car arms and driveshafts on it....but then it would be to long in the wheel base for a current 1/10 rally shell im guessing

either way i would love to see it finished,its too cool to leave on the shelf mate....i would have no probs with you doing laps in the CORR truck class for fun with it...

on a side note,Casle Hill has an insane layout for a rally car track,the surface is perfect and there are hairpins everywhere,nice and tight too

what body shells were on daves and jacksons cars?

Last edited by Peli; 09-14-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

jac has a impreza shell, i was using a old skyline shell as i dont have a rally shell for it, and it was only a test.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Rallying is so much fun, although the majority or "racing" that I did with them was done with buggies with the larger scale shells like the Peugot and RS200 etc etc.

I did muck around a couple of years ago with a TT01 and TL01 and other older cars like TA01's and 2's, I think you really need to make sure that the track is a little "smoother" for these smaller cars though (mainly ground clearance that makes it hard for the smaller cars)...

Having said that - quite possibly the most fun I had "rallying" with a "smaller scale" type car was with my Mini M03 chassis...damn, that thing was SO MUCH fun. All I did was raise the ride height and change the springs - was a complete blast to run....obviously I used the Rally block tyres.

That could be a cool class to run - and EXTREMELY cheap! Not to mention VERY close racing with controlled motor and gearing!! Some of you could dust of the old minis and give them a new life!!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just rebuilt an unused TT-01, raised the height to its max and stuck in the hobbywing 13T in it. Dont have any rally tyres (can get my hands on some HPI rally tyres though). It seems to work well in the grass but not sure about dirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.