Search

R/C Drawings

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default R/C Drawings

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is into drawing R/C or other stuff on there PC.

Here are some of mine.

Cheers, Brett.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Drawings-carbonfibrenude.jpg   R/C Drawings-decksongrasshopper.jpg   R/C Drawings-mxbike.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Good stuff what program are you using?

I use Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. I used to do alot of painting for Online Racing Sim Games for years and used 3D max as a rendering program, alot more fun when you can 3d your final work on a product

This is what i am talking about, not one of mine but just one quickly pulled up from the web

good stuff
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

I use Microsoft "Picture It". It's a cheap little program, cost me $5 from St Vinnies. I can't afford any fancy programs like 3DMax. I don't know what's available these days, i guess there are a lot of better high end programs out now.

Nice looking F1, wish i could do that!

Cheers, Brett.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im sure if you search a torrent site you would find a copy of 3DMax with serial or key gen.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There's also Maya (which I use), XSI, Lightwave, and Blender. Blender is legally free I've done alot of 3d work, currently do it as a hobby but I'm actually a qualified game artist. So I'm skilled with low poly 3d
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys, it’s good to see so much design talent out there amongst the RC community. You all should get together and design your own Australian designed race car or product, the rest of the world is doing it.

The only problem I see with designing an RC car in Australia is that you would still have to get it made in China just to get some profit return.

Anyway I do 3D CAD mechanical solid modelling designs for engineering, which includes stress analysis, motion simulation etc. In one of my 3D CAD courses I had to do an assignment on stress analysis and what spring rate characteristics would do under certain weights, so I thought I would add a sample of what I did to your forum discussion.

The thing is I used a Mugen MBX6 front shock tower and shocks for my example.
Software used AutoDesk Inventor 2009 and Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended.

When you open the PDF file, first click to view the whole page, then left click on each model to activate, hold left mouse button down and move mouse to rotate model.
(A lot of the textures aren’t there, like Carbon Fibre, just to keep the file size small. TIP if you click transparent you can see shock piston position)

Enjoy
Cheers, Kev Wright

Will be converting the entire MBX6 to a 3D working solid model soon.
Attached Files
Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Wow...
I have been in IT for a little over 14 years & I didn't even know you could do that with a PDF file! very cool.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Regular

I have Blender somewhere, i'll find it and go through the learning curve.

Here are some more.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Drawings-concept-carpet-racer..jpg   R/C Drawings-ghost-bike.jpg   R/C Drawings-mini-heli-drawing.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Sweet...
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thats awsome stuff
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I didn't realise you could do anything like that with a PDF very cool.
I haven't actually tried to design a R/C car in 3d. I'm a game artist so I tend to go by whats visually correct then instead of doing CAD type stuff. Considering this was my latest render was this and its not even R/C related

I think smcars.net has got a resonable Blender user base and its all cars there.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

The Carpet racer concept car is my pet project, can't wait to do it with blender.

Here is the full kit and a chopper pushbike i did about 15 years ago.

Cheers, Brett.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Drawings-carpet-racer-concept-car.jpg   R/C Drawings-chopper-pushbike.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Hello to everyone who PM/Emailed me to find out about CAD info from the PDF file I posted, didn’t think I would get such a large response from posting it, sorry I haven’t replied to everyone. A lot of people are asking me the same questions so I thought I would share & post most popular question answers here for everyone to see.

1. Choosing/buying CAD (Computer Aided Design) software to help me make a design for my hobby part to get CNC 2D cut? (Such as laser, plasma, router or water-jet cut). Make sure the software can output to a DXF file. Just email your DXF file to your local engineering shop for a quote. Most Eng shops will charge you a fortune for a one-off small part and a largely reduced price if you use a full standard sheet of material, as they will nest the part and let you know how many parts you will get from a sheet.

2. CAD software – for 2D design make sure it can output to a DXF file. Software such as low cost TurboCAD Designer 2D & higher range AutoCAD Lt. There is also Raster to Vector software out there that can save to DXF if you search the web. I find ScanPro to be a good one, I use it to convert sketches to DXF.

3. If you want something CNC machined as a 3D solid part (like motor mounts, chassis etc) then you need to output files such as IGES or SAT, or even if you can convert straight to G-Code to send to an Eng shop for quote/manufacture. (The above programs won’t do this, you need 3D CAD software) Good 3D software I use is Rhinoceros 3D & Autodesk Inventor.

4. What’s CNC? This stands for Computer Numerical Control. Basically used inside an electronic controller to automatically operate a servo powered/ball screw machine centre (milling, lathe, plasma/laser cutter etc)
I recently got myself a small industrial quality CNC milling machine which I can run from my laptop. I use Mach3 programming software which converts my 2D DXF files or 3D IGES/SAT files to machine code (G-Code) which tells the machine how to machine it. Very simple.

5. Stress analysis? You don’t want/need to know about it, to technical.

Some guys sent me a couple of drawings to convert to DXF files and I am fine with this, just make sure you give as many dimensions as possible. Also anything wanted converted to 3D format, no problems. Please no requests for machining jobs, have no time or patience for hobby jobs at the moment! I hear there are other guys out there with CNC machine centres who may take on hobby work, please post your details on here if you can take on hobby work.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread Tech Head, but if/when you guys get some pics done with the Blender software, please post them! I don’t have time to learn a new program like Blender, but it’s sample gallery looks awesome!

I will post some DXF & 3D files here of parts which people can use soon.

Cheers Kev
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

I don't see any evidence of hyjacking here! All I see is info about the thread title.

Thanks Bigkev, I'm sure lots of subscribers here will gain valuable knowledge from your post.

Cheers, Brett.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Here’s DXF files of Mugen MBX6 buggy home made skid plates. Includes front & rear. Have any problems with files let me know, didn't test the PDF.

Cheers, Kev

(Sorry if you don’t have this buggy, but this is all I have plus an MTX4)

Edit: Sorry use new PDF file in my next reply, accidently made them DWG files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mugen MBX6 Skid Plates.pdf (194.7 KB, 906 views)

Last edited by Bigkev; 09-04-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: This PDF only has DWG files updated below

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.