Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

My new Slash arrived today, its alot of fun. I look forward to running it at Knox, hopefully when the 2009 season starts.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good on ya far-q..come over to my table next meet and say Hi ...
Glen..well this could mean 6 trucks for a race in the new year !
I think we may get a feq.clash ?as there is only 4 that the slash comes in !
Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Tim,

Both mine and rod's have been spektrum'd up, so that should help a little. I can bring my crystals from the slash with me aswell.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Slash racing at Castlemaine

Anyone who has a Traxxas Slash is more than welcome to come up to Castlemaine this Sunday January 4th for the start of our 2009 race season. We have two stock Slashes up here already and would love to see more on the track. I have tested mine out on the track and it is perfect. A bit taller in the gearing may be required and that is about all.
For the purposes on discussion, we feel that running them stock is the way to go, but in particular, leaving the stock motor in and not changing to a 27T brushed or ?? brushless. Keeps the vehicles cheap and keeps them a fun vehicle, which is what they are.
Cheers
Glenn
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

That sounds good Glen.

Xr 400...we choose to change the motor due to it gave a bit more kick and everybody has a stock motor in their box [if you have been in RC, you will have a stockie kicking around] Plus it will last longer due to it can be rebuilt.On saying this,the standed motor that comes with the kit, was not all that slow and some good driving skills would get you around the track just as well.
I'll be running the kit motor this weekend and I'll let you know how it went.I'm faster with slower motors
To keep things easy...if you run at Knox you can change your motor ,if you run at anther club you will need the kit motor.This I feel still keeps the class buget and honest.
We may even go back to the kit motor ,as a bit of oil,may see the motor running for a long time.
Let us know how you guys are going...
Timmey
Old 12-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Timey.
Fair comments there. Cannot fully agree with your statement about everyone having a 27T in their box, though. We have been a predominantly nitro club here for with regards off road, and it has only been in the last two years that electric has kicked off with our on-roaders. The on road classes that we run are all 540, so except for a few odd ebay purchaces, there are no 27T motors up here.

There are different ways of looking at all situations, of course. If you are getting existing electric drivers to have a go with the Slash, then 27T is probably valid. If you are looking to get nitro drivers involved, or bring in new people to the sport, then a box stock class is the way to go. What all clubs need is an influx of new racers/members. And what a great vehicle for just that. They are cheap, drive well, are robust and look just brilliant. They will walk off the shop shelves and we all have to do everything we can to get them to the track.

Interestingly, our best supported class is our Club Spec 540 on-road class. Very cheap, very simple. Tamiya TT-01, add bearings, limited gearing options, batteries and tyres. Simply put, you are not allowed to spend any money on these cars. Racing is closer than close and everyone loves it.

If you apply the same formula to Slash class, Stock motor and Speedy, 7.2 or 7.4V packs, Slash original or proper after-market wheels, tyres and bodies, then the class will be a screaming success.

The focus must be on racing, not comparing wallets.

Have a Mod class if you wish, but I feel that the focus should be on Box Class.

Cheers

Glenn
Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

doh *edit*

I would vote to keep it kit form at knox.. I thought that was the idea? but a re-read of the rules & its in short the same basic stock class of engine we have here. 17.5 brushless with any esc you want, or co27t any esc or kit form. :/

will have to read better next time - keeping it kit = more fun for all I think. anyway - few weeks till I get mine
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Fair comment xr400 ..I agree all with what you said.I think it is good to use the stock motor with the kit due to new people comming into the hobbie from anther hobbie and they can race straight away.We were just trying to give the trucks a bit more edge as we have large jumps at or track.
Just from my angle...we are a electric off road club,and in any of the tool boxs around the pits you will find a 540 motor,stockmotor and a mod motor due to people being in the club and trying all forms of racing untill they settle into one they like.When a person comes to the club they start off with a 540 and then move up to a 27 stockie , just to give the racing a bit more edge.I know with on road you will find a big number of guys running 540 as this motor pulls a onroad car around well,where a silver can doesn't have the low down grunt to lift over jumps.
Now talking about silver cans, the Traxxas kit motor is not like a 540 silver can motor where they almost last for years. It has a lot more 'pull' and we feel it will wear out and not be a easy item to come across , and when we did compare it to a rb 27 stockie it was not that much slower.Which leads me to think a person could be faster with a slower motor [ lot less burn outs ]
We have a guy in the club who did more laps in a timed race than most rb 27 stockies and he used a 540 silver can.It was due to he was driving the car around the track , not loosing power in wheel spin and crashing.
I've got 4 silver cans as I flip from 540 to stock through out the year,as 540 racing is a lot easier on tyres than rb stock and we have fun too.
Back to slash..the idea is to keep people in the hobbie so keeping the slash as standed as possible is a good thing...and I'll be running the kit motor this week end .
I'll talk to the guys in the club and see if we can come up for a race meet weekend sometime.
timmey
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The Slash has been upgraded to 17.5 brushless and is all ready for Saturday arvo. You are right, there isnt much difference between the 550 titan and the BL motor, althought the BL handles the bigger gearing with less heat.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have one that I put the VXL system in. It is a lot of fun and they are sooooo strong.
You couldn't race with it though, even if it was a class because it is way overpowered for the Slash setup, (unless I'm just doing it wrong)
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by farque
You are right, there isnt much difference between the 550 titan and the BL motor
There you go....any way I'll be running the titan just to see how it can go.I recon it will do ok !
Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not that I'm lining up for one (too many toys already) but I was told, right or wrong, that the titan motors are about fifty bucks a throw. Seems like an RB stock brushed would be far more economic come replacement time.......
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

mmm, really? the co-27 pro is about 70 bucks... 50 is a saving of 20.
or cheaper to replace brushes & cut comm?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For some reason, everyone I know who have tried 540 size motors say they struggle a bit. I guess they are big, pushing a lot of air.

I think the best control motor for them would be the LRP Big Block Special. 12x2 550, bearings, adjustable and about $60 - $70 AU.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

untill there has been some time with these motors we wont know how long they last, but they will last longer when geared better than out the box!
i know i keep on about this but the thing comes over geared, dropping a tooth or two on the pinion makes a difference to performance and longevity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.