Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

saddle pack
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...-Saddle&cat=13

Vote 1 - Lipo
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It is not official in any of the International RC governing bodies, and I can not see why it should be official here in Australia without proper testing guidelines, safety considerations and the fact if a Lipo goes kaboom, who gets sued?

Keep Lipos for small/one off events, but not for major events.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i vote yes,

i've been using them in various RC for years & never had an issue. it's simple, follow the safety instructions & you will have a battery that will out last & out perform Nimh or Nicd cells (these cells blow up too if used incorrectly). the sooner they get into racing applications the sooner the R&D will accelerate to match the application.

i think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about lipos at the moment.

it has to start somewhere, how about australia leads for once in stead of follows..

just my $0.02
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive seen both LiPo and NiMh explode... i couldnt really say that there is much difference in the explosion, both bad!

i wonder if the A123 LiIon wont be a better idea than LiPo or NiMh?

regardless the Li technology is great, once you understand 'the deal' they are easy to live with... nothing to fear but fear its self!

go with them i reckon!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Totally Agree

Originally Posted by promugenman
i vote yes,

i've been using them in various RC for years & never had an issue. it's simple, follow the safety instructions & you will have a battery that will out last & out perform Nimh or Nicd cells (these cells blow up too if used incorrectly). the sooner they get into racing applications the sooner the R&D will accelerate to match the application.

i think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about lipos at the moment.

it has to start somewhere, how about australia leads for once in stead of follows..

just my $0.02
Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PeteB

Don't think they would fit most saddle pack designed cars as they are to high and I wouldn't trust these batteries either. I'd rather see Orion or Peak make a saddle pack specifically designed for current cars before I used any Lipo's in my buggy.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I vote for. The technology is there, it has been around for a long time and is well understood, and they are a vast improvement over NiMh batteries.

20 minute mains? Oh hell yes!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only real problem with them seems to be safety. You must remember that when they become legal, novices will be using them. Forget the "follow the instructions and you will be fine" approch cause some novice is likely not to. The other problem is that they detonate when hit. Have you watched stock racing recently? I'm sure its goin to happen sooner rather than l8r in this class... what of the poor marshal that picks up the car when it starts acting all funny?

Lipo's seem to be better in everyway over current nimh but the question is how safe are they when everyone is using them?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Exactley, anything you need to charge in a fire proof container is asking for trouble when you have novices and kids involved.

Safety should be put ahead of performance in this case.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

the guys racing RC bikes in QLD are using them, & when a bike stacks it's generally not a soft impact. i use one in my bike & it's not all that scary. the safety instructions are pretty easy, use a proper Lipo charger, same as for Nimh cells, and don't run them low, as soon as they drop performance STOP & recharge. how hard is that? you can also charge them several times a day, no need to wait for them to cool down, so you don't need as many packs.

also they last many more charges then a nimh, and for the same price get much better specs than the top of the range matched pack out there.

they don't explode, they flame out. no more dangerous than a 1/8th nitro buggy, which are now using lipos as Rx packs, and Nitro 1/8th take an absolute beating.

i've just sold myself on lipos again
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its funny when you hear "I've never seen one explode/flame" But I have heard heaps of stories of "the flames where this big!".

It does happen.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

If lipo was allowed I would nearly consider changing from nitro. At the moment 5 min mains, having a ton of packs, discharging and recharging after a 5 min race, making sure the pack peaks right up to start time...just doesnt do it for me. I dont understand why the rc plane community seem to have been running lipo for donkeys years and they seem to embrace it, not sure why rc cars are finding an issue.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lipo's are the future, there is no doubt about it, just as Im sure the Stock class will be using Sintered Rotor Brushless in the future and the old brushed technology is left as a reminder of days gone by, HOWEVER........I think the mos timportant factor is safety for both users, marshalls and beginners and even spectators.

One comment regarding beginners being the ones who will probably have the most difficulty regarding explosions or whatever, I don't entirely agree with, I think it will be the guy's who are trying to find ways to be more competitive buy means of overcharging batteries that will cause more of the troule. An example is those guy's who dont quite have the driving skill or set up knowledge but THINK they do and make the mistake of believing it's the way they charge their batteries, so they re-peak at ridiculous amps and next minute, ka-boom, they are the ones who will do the most injury to themselves and other.

It's funny though, because that happens right now with nimh and we get explosions, but for the amount of morons who do this stupid practice (re-peaking at stupid rates - 8/9/10 amps etc) we really dont see that many explosions compared to how many do, so really, is this hypew about lipo's being so unsafe such a real worry, or is it like everything new, not enough understanding and too many dickheads trying to test the limits.

If lipo's like nimh's are charged according to the instructions then there shouldn't be any problems,

having said that, I still think lipo's should be put onhold for now until all this hype has been laid to rest and everyone understands the lipo technology much better. So I vote NO.....................for now.

Here's a thought, have a look at the battery in your mobile phone, it's a lithium Ion battery, has been for over 10 years. Does anyone have a fear their mobile will blow their head off? No, so why the fear of lipo in RC, apart from the very stupid few who push past the manufacturers intructions, instructions that are written after many many hours of testing.

Not having a go at anyone here, just pointing out that yet again in this society, we are governing our decisions based on the fools of the world rather than the knowledgable...................................... ............
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

you're ipod uses a lipo too.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i think currently the nail in the lipo coffin is that orrca and arrmcc wont accept them so whats the point all honestly? who wants to have two sets of packs? it deffeats the original reason i even brought this up in the meakin park forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.