Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bearing rebuilding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

do you usualy take off both shields, or just one shield?
i take both off to clean but replace only 1
so now i only take one off to clean

i only do this because my bearing are very old and after many rebuilds u realy need new shields, mine are bent a bit and this slows the bearing down
Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

i've got a set of rubber seal bearings is there anyway in which i can take of the rubber seals to clean them without damaging the rubber itself?
Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
i've got a set of rubber seal bearings is there anyway in which i can take of the rubber seals to clean them without damaging the rubber itself?
I just use my Power putty. Put the bearing on a flat surface push the power putty onto the bearing seal firmly and lift off the putty. Usually the seal come with it and can then be cleaned in your rumbler or ultrasonic cleaner. If this doesn't work I have used a very fine pin to put under the inside edge of the shield, make sure you work it in under the main part of the rubber shield and then lever the sheild out. This usually causes no damage but over time you will have to replace the shields eventually.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

You pro's probably already know this but heres a little tip.. After I remove the shield retaining rings carefully with a pin, I place the bearing in a small jar of metho and give it a little shake. within a few shakes the shields will have fallen out from the bearing and the bearings have had a quick flush.. This saves damaging the shields by trying to get them out with a pin or small screwdriver.. I then place the bearing in the rumble tray and clean as normal..

Steevo
Old 02-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

lucky im an external uni student with all day to spare most of the time cause it looks like the reflex will be getting a serious pull down next week!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by quozl
I just use my Power putty. Put the bearing on a flat surface push the power putty onto the bearing seal firmly and lift off the putty. Usually the seal come with it and can then be cleaned in your rumbler or ultrasonic cleaner. If this doesn't work I have used a very fine pin to put under the inside edge of the shield, make sure you work it in under the main part of the rubber shield and then lever the sheild out. This usually causes no damage but over time you will have to replace the shields eventually.

Cheers Alastair
Wats a Power putty ?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Bearings?

Errr.....
Here in Singapore, bearing for car kits are so cheap, we simply use and throw it away and replace with new ones.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by zoombie
Wats a Power putty ?
It's great stuff check out this link

Power Putty

There are a few different manufacturers of it. You can buy it up here in Brisbane in little boxes from Hobbyrama or get the Serpent stuff from CMC or your local Serpent agent.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-06-2003, 09:28 PM
AC
Tech Regular

Default Re: Bearings?

Originally posted by Teeka
Errr.....
Here in Singapore, bearing for car kits are so cheap, we simply use and throw it away and replace with new ones.
How cheap is cheap? And do you get the lower quality bearings because you just use them once and then chuck em?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by zoombie
Wats a Power putty ?
it's some stuff that serpent makes it has the consistancy of dirty blu tac. (stuff used to stick posters on walls)

you can go ahead and get the serpent stuff or just use blu tac, the dirtier it gets the more it becomes like power putty. (consistancy wise).