Wiki Posts
Search

2007 Challenge Cup - Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Time to put some thoughts down:

1. There is not much point having a cutoff date for entries if it is not enforced (ie. entries being taken after the date). Entry cut-off dates should be enforced. This would also solve the problem of numbers.

2. The Challenge Cup should be for those that support their local clubs and not necessarily for the people that run only the big meetings. Clubs should nominate which drivers will be supporting the series at the start of the year. These drivers should be given preference.

3. Cross entering between motor classes should stop. Way back when you couldn't do this, so why has it changed? Cross entering classes with the same motor should still be allowed though (2WD stock and 4WD stock is okay, for example). I'm not sure if this occurs in off road, but it probably applies more to on road where you have more motor classes.

4. The event should only be run on one day. As NOFX says the logistics involved in running a canteen for two days instead of one is greater and you have to have volunteers to staff it. My wife was on canteen at Ryde and it took her a day and a half to recover.

5. No finals should be dropped to fit the event into one day. If this means putting an upper limit on entries (say 90), then so be it. Entry comes down to first in best dressed. See point No. 1 on cutoff dates also. This might encourage people not to leave it till the last minute as they might not get in.

In doing all this it has to be remembered that these are meant to be less serious events than a State Titles and therefore need not be spread across two days. In the days of the ROORDA tour, clubs had to nominate drivers and only those drivers that were representing their club were entered. Perhaps the Challenge Cup should be more like that - after all, the Club Challenge, as it was then called, replaced the ROORDA tour.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just leave it alone ! its fine how it is ... and we dont need control tires either. we would have got through the day at ryde if there was no delay for the power outage. theres still room to start a little earlier at say 7am on the sunday. currently everyone is making it to a sunday only event.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

we dont want to stop entrys, the number of entry is a great thing.. we just need to accomadate everyone.

you dont need a canteen on sat, nor do you need one at all. or 100 box's o crispy cream's

crossentering.. who was doing this..

the events are as serious as you make them.. whether they are over two days or not.

considering you dont need to do the two q's on the sat.

i am sure the track will be open for a little while on the sun morning for those who just want to turn up on the sun.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugengreg
just leave it alone ! its fine how it is ... and we dont need control tires either. we would have got through the day at ryde if there was no delay for the power outage. theres still room to start a little earlier at say 7am on the sunday. currently everyone is making it to a sunday only event.
yeah its fine if you like 1 A final. what a joke that is.

you get taken out first corner after working your tits off all day to take tq, and its race over.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swanny

In doing all this it has to be remembered that these are meant to be less serious events than a State Titles and therefore need not be spread across two days. In the days of the ROORDA tour, clubs had to nominate drivers and only those drivers that were representing their club were entered. Perhaps the Challenge Cup should be more like that - after all, the Club Challenge, as it was then called, replaced the ROORDA tour.
Do you even remember what the ROORDA Tour was? merely a grouping of each of the clubs major events into a series, identical to what the Club Challenge is.

I presume from the above comment you are referring to the good old days of the ORCCA Cup and Shield events, these events were by invite only, from memory 3 drivers in each class, each driver to only race one class. Points tallied to nominate a winning club.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think the 2 rounds of qualiying on Saturday Arvo is great. That way the people that take it seriously can turn up (and are normally there practicing) have 2 rounds of qualiying and go and stay in a motel if they aren't local. Really the whole thing about cost is a storm in a tea cup, most racers who travel generally do it with other people and at the end of the day its only $30 - $40 to stay somewhere when shared between people. When a set of tires cost $20 I think the cost issue of staying overnight is non existent. If it is, then sleep in your car.

If you are one of the people who turn up purely for the fun, turn up on Sunday only, have two qualifiers, then potentially three finals.

Keep everything the same, just 2 (optional) qualifiers on Saturday arvo, 2 on sunday morning, and three finals. Maybe we can worry about control tires this time next year as we are having trouble reaching a decision on this one.

Three finals is a must, as Painy pointed out, I'm little bit over the first lap banzai antics of the single final, as it places no emphasis on qualifying and seeing we're doing so much of it, it should be important.

All of this is really about daylight, did someone say Summer Series?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry I must be missin something here? I thought the whole idea of this thread was to make the series BETTER.

Two choices.

1. Keep it a one day event just like it is. (Only clubs need to be prepared so there's no power problems etc) so B/C finalists like myself don't have to hang around till late to prove I'm bloody hopeless

2. Make it 2 days. Screw practice just run more quailifiers. As many as possible, lets say 8 heats . I would preferr a heap of 5 min runs over 1 30 min run as my gay motors & batteries hate being run for 30mins straight Plus I'd have more time between rounds to change my set-up (I need all the help I can get ).

& in referrance to the amount of entries has anyone thought that maybe just maybe we may get more entries because people would have more time to run 2 classes over 2 days

Now I don't want to here anymore regarding the limiting of entries please as we are discussing

HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER

not

NO I'm sorry little boy you can't race today

& on a side note (this is a pet hate of mine as I heard it earlier in the year) We are Remote Control Car Clubs Not bloody fast food outlets Who cares if there's no food on Saturday I want to drive my little toy cars
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Three finals is a must!! Here-Here!

Easy solution Sat = Stock Sun = Mod will keep the majority happy!
Numbers on the rise so still plenty of atmosphere !

The buying power of a Club or Sponsor supplying the 300 odd Control Tyres that maybe required could represent a huge saving to the racer.

Surely ,if they pass on the savings that could mean Holeshots for say $15 and maybe $1 goes back to the club! Everyone is Happy
Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ari's and Josh's examples are great. we need more racing 1 final is just not up to scratch.

I think we have to face the fact that 2 days is the best way to solve the problem. we are not getting enough racing currently.

what about both days with 3 rounds on sat and 4/5 rounds on sun but run it like the reedy race with 5/7 or 6/7 counting to declare the winner. it rewards consistency (i will have to find some) and its different. if it was structured correctly you could turn up on sunday and still win but you would have to make all rounds count. the benefit of practice and other rounds is for those that run up on sat. lets face it sat practice at ryde was bigger than most club meetings....

the state of offroad at the moment is awesome, we should never limit entries and the old orcca days where we used to get selected were great if you got selected. Personally I want to see everyone get a go and get as many people running 2wd and 4wd as possibe.

control tyres are great. we should definately adopt this rule. make the selection at the beginning of the year and have it the same as the state titles/nats. we all have way too many different tyres in boxes and this would help the problem. it would keep costs down and give us all practice tyres for all events also.

just my 2c worth.... offroad is back and as big as it ever was!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Painy
ONE CLASS ON EACH DAY WOULD SUCK ASS.

would feel like your going to a clubbie, also on one day there would be 30 people, on the next there would be only 30.. great atmosphere.. not.

hahahaha too funny. no atmosphere, no one there to watch me drive my little toy car. no one will come and watch me unless we make them come both days hahahahhaha

lets rent a crowd or play a clapping/background noise track for painy

p.s no one really watches the races anyway. not even the marshalls 90% of the time hahaha.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

haha its not the same for painy as what it is for you! cause you suck
Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Berkky
hahahaha too funny. no atmosphere, no one there to watch me drive my little toy car. no one will come and watch me unless we make them come both days hahahahhaha

lets rent a crowd or play a clapping/background noise track for painy

p.s no one really watches the races anyway. not even the marshalls 90% of the time hahaha.
no one watches you, they watch the pain race tho, cause i rip it up.haha
Old 08-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

We are Remote Control Car Clubs Not bloody fast food outlets Who cares if there's no food on Saturday I want to drive my little toy cars
Here Here Chris, well said. But leave the driving to Jo, she is so good now with that BJ4.

Surely ,if they pass on the savings that could mean Holeshots for say $15 and maybe $1 goes back to the club!
Doubt you will ever see them that cheap.

Easy solution Sat = Stock Sun = Mod will keep the majority happy!
So that would mean the stock guys would have to return on the Sunday to watch the mod guys do battle, ummmmmm I don't think so. Maybe be starting the Qualifying heats at lunch time and running into Sunday could be a go, 2 Sat arvo - 3 Sun mourn and the finals Sun arvo.

I did notice that with you Berky, standing there with your hand on your hip looking for some one to pick up. (guys bums to the wall) If you actually watch some of the racing you might find out that you go better on the track than in the fences
Old 08-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Peter,

$15.00 for holeshots is not unheard of.....
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

The only people that have said something cencible on here are OLD 69 and line burner. control tyre for the interclubs thats a bit of crock if you ask me. could you imagine what tyre ryde would choose i tell you we wouldnt have been using holeshots and the racing would be terrible. leave the tyres open and run the event over 2 days same as the states. were getting the numbers so thats what we should do if you cant get one weekend of a month you only run one class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.