Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2019 Hills Off Road Vintage Festival EP10 OFR >

2019 Hills Off Road Vintage Festival EP10 OFR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

2019 Hills Off Road Vintage Festival EP10 OFR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Got home safely this morning after a long drive. Thanks to everyone for a great event and weekend, have to rethink how I approach next year re classes I enter etc, first job see my optometrist about my depth perception vision so I can get through the back jump section. Anyway thanks again, see you all next year, together with a few more Queenslanders
I'm_Serious, MadRacer and muvro like this.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavy
Got home safely this morning after a long drive. Thanks to everyone for a great event and weekend, have to rethink how I approach next year re classes I enter etc, first job see my optometrist about my depth perception vision so I can get through the back jump section. Anyway thanks again, see you all next year, together with a few more Queenslanders
Hey Dave

Terrific to hear that you've arrived home safely.Thank you for all the effort in making the trip down, it was a pleasure to have you and your fantastic schumachers at the event. We look forward to welcoming you and more Queenslanders next year.

All the best and if you need help etc with regards to classes to enter for next year, please get in touch any time

Cheers

Mikey
Old 11-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Hey All

Just a few quick thank you's. The event couldn't have gone ahead without the continued support of the Hills off road club members who work tirelessly on the track and the committee that runs it. In particular Ben Cribbin and Peter Cooper. Peter only gave up his whole weekend to run the meeting and basically just help with everything, Ben organised all the entries through rcsignup, got them sorted on the computer and ran race timing for us on saturday and hand crafted the shortcut for the track. Also Rob Smith who gave up time during the day to cook up the bbq so we had a nice lunch and Michael Fretin who assisted

Thanks again to all those that travelled and to everyone for putting the huge effort to prepare their cars and then put them on the track and race in the spirit of the event

The club series dates and state titles dates will be worked out late this month when the clubs come together, not long after that i will be able to announce the 2020 dates for both the enduro and the festival. My aim is to get us a little bit out of the heat, so potentially late April for the Enduro and September for the festival if we can squeeze it in

Cheers again

Mikey
I'm_Serious and muvro like this.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Hello all.

After hearing of David Guyatts efforts making the trek south, I have decided to make that same effort next year. Trying to rustle up interest with 3 or 4 of us Boondall vintage crowd looking like we could make 2020.

I have a few cars I would like cleared up regarding classes.

Tamiya Terra Conqueror 4wd vintage or classic? (same chassis as Manta Ray, but I notice dirt Thrasher is in classic)

Also I have a Kyosho ProX I would like to run in 2wd classic but I also have a Mid Motor ProX converted from Rampage Pro (nitro) chassis - same wheel base and was same year car and share 95% parts - basically just rear diff and bulkhead are turned about.
You mention that we can run different cars during our chosen class, so I was wondering if the Mid motor ProX would be legal for one or 2 runs? Also can you run modern shocks in the classic class? I have vintage shocks it’s just that modern shocks are fitted atm. I ask this as VONATs in the U.S allow modern shocks in some classes for various reasons.

all help appreciated and would love to run all kyosho down there, apart from the Terra of course.
Cheers,
Nathan
Old 12-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marshy2012
Hello all.

After hearing of David Guyatts efforts making the trek south, I have decided to make that same effort next year. Trying to rustle up interest with 3 or 4 of us Boondall vintage crowd looking like we could make 2020.

I have a few cars I would like cleared up regarding classes.

Tamiya Terra Conqueror 4wd vintage or classic? (same chassis as Manta Ray, but I notice dirt Thrasher is in classic)

Also I have a Kyosho ProX I would like to run in 2wd classic but I also have a Mid Motor ProX converted from Rampage Pro (nitro) chassis - same wheel base and was same year car and share 95% parts - basically just rear diff and bulkhead are turned about.
You mention that we can run different cars during our chosen class, so I was wondering if the Mid motor ProX would be legal for one or 2 runs? Also can you run modern shocks in the classic class? I have vintage shocks it’s just that modern shocks are fitted atm. I ask this as VONATs in the U.S allow modern shocks in some classes for various reasons.

all help appreciated and would love to run all kyosho down there, apart from the Terra of course.
Cheers,
Nathan
Hey Nathan!

great to hear from you. Yeah it was awesome Dave made the trip and of course we'd welcome the Boondall crew, I've been a fan of what you guys up there have created

ok to the questions. Terra conquerer according to my research came out in late 1992 so it may be run in vintage. You're right about the dirt thrasher being included in classic, in these cases, its really just a matter of throwing the right body on the car, so if someone had a dirt thrasher or blazing star, just throw a manta ray body on it and its fine for vintage.

Pro-X is awesome for classic class and by all means run the converted mid motor in classic too and its fine to run multiple chassis in a class over a day, you dont need to let us know, just move the transponder over to the car you're running

Modern shocks are ok, the caveat on that is really about whether they're big bore or not. so for example, if you have kyosho rb5 shocks on it, then thats ok because they're small bore. It's really about trying to keep the look of the cars to the period.

All the best in putting putting together a trip to the festival. We're happy to help with shade/tables/chairs for our interstate visitors to try and make things a bit easier

Cheers and feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions

Mikey

Marshy2012 likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up Im In next meet too...

My Good friend Marshy has convinced me to do another trip down. My biggest decisions is what classes and cars to run.

Not sure on current rules and classes but will read up.
Marshy2012 likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Shocks and Re Re

Mikey I just built a new Turbo Optima Re Re .

Its not stated if this re re can run in vintage but i assume so ?

Shocks. Any rules i couldn't see anything listed..
I know big bores aren't allowed. What other rules on them please. ?

Thanks
Marshy2012 likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Mickey for the information. I shall coordinate a group of cars to suit and get back to you with any further queries. Cheers
NOFX likes this.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MadRacer
Mikey I just built a new Turbo Optima Re Re .

Its not stated if this re re can run in vintage but i assume so ?

Shocks. Any rules i couldn't see anything listed..
I know big bores aren't allowed. What other rules on them please. ?

Thanks
Hey mate

Fantastic to hear you're thinking of coming down for the event!
Shocks, its ok to use more modern shocks if needed, like i gave the example of RB5 shocks on an earlier Kyosho, or other people have asked about trackstar shocks, they're all good to use or if its for the Optima, the repro gold shocks seem pretty good, and yeah, as you said, no big bores.

The rere Turbo Optima is absolutely welcome at the festival it can be run in the vintage class or any of the later classes if you wish

Cheers

Michael

Old 12-21-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Shocks

Originally Posted by NOFX
Hey mate

Fantastic to hear you're thinking of coming down for the event!
Shocks, its ok to use more modern shocks if needed, like i gave the example of RB5 shocks on an earlier Kyosho, or other people have asked about trackstar shocks, they're all good to use or if its for the Optima, the repro gold shocks seem pretty good, and yeah, as you said, no big bores.

The rere Turbo Optima is absolutely welcome at the festival it can be run in the vintage class or any of the later classes if you wish

Cheers

Michael
good to hear Michael. Looking at running Wild One with frog or trackstar shocks in Plastic fantastic if that’s ok?
cheers
Nathan
Old 12-22-2019, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

good to hear Michael. Looking at running Wild One with frog or trackstar shocks in Plastic fantastic if that’s ok?
cheers
Nathan
Hey Nathan

Plastic is one of the classes where the cars are meant to be very stock with minimal changes including the cars retaining original shocks. You can check out the guidelines for what can be changed but essentially it's oils, Springs, pinions, bearings and tyres/wheels can be changed

Cheers
Old 12-22-2019, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation RE re Wild One

Hi Mikey,

We Need to clarify this please. ( For Nathan & I )

I have a Wild One & love it. I also love my Fox BUT in plastic Fantastic I am thinking of running the Wild One or Frog.

The Re re Wild One has stupidly hard rear springs on unique short throw dampers . Its so bad the only traction is on tarmac . As soon as i put on some softer shocks it was transformed . I would like to run the Wild One but the shocks have to be changed or maybe some FROG shocks can be fitted like the ORIGINAL spec Wild One had in the 80,s . If Tamiya kept true to the Re re this wouldn't be a problem but for some reason they screwed up the RE Re shocks on the rear. To be honest the Wild One is no Fox contender it just just looks very cool on the track.

If Re Re shocks have to stay and cant be swapped out to original Frog shocks it just means my Wild One will stay on the shelf that's all.

Cheers.
Marshy2012 likes this.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Agreed MadRacer. I would prefer to run a Wild One as they look so cool. Would like to run a rere for durability but the rear shocks on it are not true to original. If I could run Frog ( which is a plastic contender) rear shocks, I would be happy and I am sure Fox drivers wouldn’t feel threatened 😁😁.

cheers

Last edited by Marshy2012; 12-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Wild One rere shocks

Originally Posted by NOFX
Hey Nathan

Plastic is one of the classes where the cars are meant to be very stock with minimal changes including the cars retaining original shocks. You can check out the guidelines for what can be changed but essentially it's oils, Springs, pinions, bearings and tyres/wheels can be changed

Cheers
Agree with the class rules but I must say no one would dream of changing Fox suspension as it’s already awesome on original and the Novafox. It is my understanding that the Wild One (original)had essentially frog rear suspension, just asking to allow the rerelease Wild One to have Frog rear suspension like original.
Thanks for quick reply Michael and thanks for guiding us through the rules. It’s all about running something that’s close to our heart and enjoying the hobby 👍 .
cheers
Nathan
Old 12-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Agree with the class rules but I must say no one would dream of changing Fox suspension as it’s already awesome on original and the Novafox. It is my understanding that the Wild One (original)had essentially frog rear suspension, just asking to allow the rerelease Wild One to have Frog rear suspension like original.
Thanks for quick reply Michael and thanks for guiding us through the rules. It’s all about running something that’s close to our heart and enjoying the hobby 👍 .
cheers
Nathan
Hey dudes,

I've put this to the vintage council. whilst we understand the sentiment and reasoning etc the consensus was keeping the rules simple keeps things simple then everyone is on the same playing field so its a no for the Frog shocks

As you say, its about running something that's close to your heart, that is absolutely the ethos of the festival that's really been coming through over the last few years, run the cars that you like, not because its the best car but because you have a connection with it. That's why we don't see a field full of Losi JRX Pro-se and RC10 graphites in the 2wd vintage class.

Plastic class is a real centre piece of that philosophy, run the plastic car that you like, with its good sides and downsides and have fun driving a bad handling car. That being said, there's also enough scope in the rules to tweak the setup for you to fit a softer rear spring, maybe even add a hole to the piston and run light oil in the shock to get the rear to how you want it. Alternatively, it sounds like you have experience with the original wild one shocks, there's nothing stopping you from fitting them to the car.

As always, I'm happy to help guide you guys through the rules and for sure, if there's things in there that aren't clear, it helps me refine them as well

Cheers

Mikey
Marshy2012 likes this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.