Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner looking for Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Beginner looking for Car

Beginner looking to get into the sport, looking for complete setup with spares, nitro 1/10 or 1/8 scale car. Have done a bit of research so no over priced rubbish thanks. I'm in Sydney

MUST be a Car, NOT Buggy

Last edited by Auskart; 04-05-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ygpm
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone.!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Try RC Hobbies or Northern Beaches Hobby Shop, both in Sydney and both online as well
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default You have posted in the wrong forum!

Try posting in the want to buy forum
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

mate. to be honest. if your buying your first rc car go to your lhs and buy new. I got in to rc bout 3 years ago and bought cheap cars on line and has nothing buy trouble. Parts availability and advise the two biggest issues with second hand or cheap on line brands. Save your self money in the long run and buy quality straight up. Just my two cents
Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Denise from PowerHouse Performance in the city is a good guy to talk to, also Rubens from RcPit at Yagoona (i think) - both good guys that wont rip you off
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you are beginner to RC then I would recommend buying new but I know this isn't always an option ( bought 2nd hand myself ) . Buying new has it's benefits because you don't have to worry about someone else molesting the car and putting it back together in the wrong order or incorrectly with wrong screws and stripping threads etc. Also, hopefully the place you bought it from stocks spare parts, which you WILL need.

Also, lots of people sell 2nd hand nitro cars because they can't tune them and get them running right. If you buy new, atleast you get to learn the engine from the ground up hopefully without problems that someone else has introduced. Breaking in and tuning nitro engines correctly is a big learning experience in itself, let alone everything else RC related.

If you buy new it costs you more upfront but saves you some hassles in the long run. Cheap out like I did and buy 2nd hand and you'll be forever tinkering and correcting others mistakes (fine for me, it gives me something to do)

1/10 touring car rims/tyres are cheap as chips on ebay (biggest consumable besides fuel) so I'd consider this when choosing what scale to buy. Also get an engine with standard head (not turbo) to make glow plugs cheaper to replace.

There are a million cars to choose from but for starting out I'd look closely at the range your local hobby shop sells. Start with their cheap model to see if the hobby really is for you, if it's not you won't waste tonnes of money. If you buy the best of the best at the beginning and you don't want to stick with it, you'll be way worse off.

My two cents
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Best option is get to the track you are planning to race at, spend a day with the regulars talking about what works at your local track and what spares you may need, then you have the option to go new or second hand depending on the brand you choose.

Once you choose brand, research new prices from all the local Stores in your town, also keep an eye out on the forum or post in the Wanted to buy if you are choosing second hand.

That would be my recommendations of what to do and also chat with the guys at the track to where they get there spares, what you will need so you are not paying over the top prices, so financially you keep on track as well joining a great hobby.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Talking My turn!!

Where to start, is always the hardest thing to decide.

Firstly where do you live? Do you even live near a track?

If you live near a track what do they race there?

Are you going race nitro or electric?

Nitro 1/8th scale will cost you the earth, make no mistake..

If nitro is your thing then your limited to where you will race nitro 1/10th. If you decide to do that then look at the Xrauy NT1 Nitro car with a novarossi typr engine. You will need at least $1500 to get started even if you buy someone else 2nd hand one. there are a few around for sale.

My advice would be to start in electric on road or offroad. a bit easier for beginners and Lipo tech is so much better now.

Look at brand like Team associated, Losi, and alike.

You need to make you sure what ever you buy you can obtain parts very easily.

Hope this helps