Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > Ask Hitec
Why am I breaking HS-645MG? >

Why am I breaking HS-645MG?

Why am I breaking HS-645MG?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Why am I breaking HS-645MG?

Hi all,
I cannot for the life of me figure out why I continue to break steering servos in a SC10 RTR. We have three SC10’s in the house and are on our fourth broken servo. We’ve broken three stock servos (two on the same truck) and now one HS-645MG on the same truck. When I went to install the HS-645MG, I found that the servo saver was full of grit and nearly locked up solid. That could explain the first two broken servos. I pulled apart the servo saver, cleaned and lubed everything till smooth the installed the HS-645MG. The RTR radio doesn’t have end point adjustments but there seams to be no binding throughout the range of the servo. The HS-645MG lasted two days. Now it won’t center up. It seams to have lost its home (center). When powering up the car it turns to full lock and will not move in any direction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is getting expensive.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Company Representative

Make sure you are using a servo saver that is for a Hitec servo. If it doesn't say for Hitec or say 24 tooth spline then it does not fit our servo.
Second, if the radio does not have any end point adjustability then you will have to do this mechanically with the steering linkages to prevent the servo from trying to travel past the mechanical limits of your steering knuckles. If it's not setup properly and the servo tries to move past the mechanical limits of your steering geometry then you will end up damaging the servo.
Third, if you are stripping the gears inside the servo then you need to A).use a better servo saver
B). stop crashing into things
C). move to a premium level servo with a even stronger gear train like our Titanium geared servos.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. The SC10 has an integrated servo saver, like the T4/B4. In my previous post I expressed my concern that a build up of grit in these stock servo savers may have something to do with breaking servos. We just went through another HS-645MG this week so that brings the total to three broken servos on one truck and four on the other. The latest has an internal short but all of the other have been a broken gear / skipped tooth. I'm reluctant to spend even more money on a sevo unless I've identified the issue.

These are both ready to run trucks (ie no streering end point adjustments, etc). I have ensured that the steering travel does not over travel the servo travel (built in steering stops). The trucks are run on a track only, no curb impacts, etc. We have not broken a single other part so, my gut feling is it's not a case of abuse.

I'm stumped, in all my years of RC I'v neve broken a servo. Now, 7 in one year.