Hitec 5925

Old 12-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Iceman27

Default Hitec 5925

Dear all,

I had purchased (a few months ago) a Hitec 5925 servo. After some time, 1 of the metal gears had stripped! I then purchased the replacement gear set from my LHS.

1st qn. Aren't the metal gears NOT supposed to strip?

After some use, this same servo then failed. I then sent it for repairs thru my LHS. After a month, the servo returned & all seem in good working order.

Now a couple of weeks later, this servo has once again failed. I believe the potentiometer is screwed.

2nd qn. Why would the potentiometer foul up? My buddies have been running the Airtronics (Sanwa) servo for years & all that seems to give way are the motors. This servo of mine is less than a year old!

I had checked the gears to make sure that they were not the source of the problem. When I did a comparison to the old set of gears that had stripped, I noticed a difference.

The gear (servo horn) on the repaired servo had a small o-ring that seem to fit below the servo case. But the orginal gear did not have such an o-ring. When I put in the old gear for comparison, there was a lot of play in the fit of the gear on the top servo case.

3nd qn. Would someone care to explain? Seemingly different gear for the same servo.

Iceman27

Old 12-27-2002, 05:03 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where are you located at? What were you using the servo in? Were you using the aluminum horn? TTYL.

Gary
Old 12-27-2002, 10:21 PM
Iceman27

Hi Gary,

I am located in Singapore. Was running the servo in my MP7.5 buggy (steering) & was using the included aluminium servo horn.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Quick qeustion

I help out at a LHS and had a customer ask me" What does Coreless mean on the Hitec servo". Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A coreless motor is pretty much the same as a brushless motor, no brushes to wear out. They are also more accurate in their centering abilities that normal motors. TTYL.

Gary
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Gary Fliegel View Post
A coreless motor is pretty much the same as a brushless motor, no brushes to wear out. They are also more accurate in their centering abilities that normal motors. TTYL.
Gary
Sorry, I know this post is almost a decade old but I can't believe no one has said anything....I've had coreless motors apart and they are nothing like a servo motor. They are a conventional brushed motor with a variation on the windings. The windings form a cup on the armature which rotates around the fixed permanent magnets attached to the end of the case. There are brushes contacting the commutator as in a conventionally wound brushed motor. This light weight winding (with no ferrous core...hence the name) is quick to start up and stop. (Centering has to do with the output which is after the gear train and determined by the servo electronics; amplifier and servo potentiometer.)

Jerel