Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Chicagoland R/C Raceway, Tinley Park, IL >

Chicagoland R/C Raceway, Tinley Park, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicagoland R/C Raceway, Tinley Park, IL

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Off Road

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
http://www.chicagolandrc.com/offroad.htm

I heard the current track is a lot better then those old pictures...
yeh, i was looking for some new pics...trying to decide whether i should race at AJ's or Tinley on Sat.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Off Road

Originally posted by Matt Overton
yeh, i was looking for some new pics...trying to decide whether i should race at AJ's or Tinley on Sat.
There are 24 hours on SAT........I don't think it is that hard to split that into 2 and race at both location...........
Lots of coffee........a lot.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Matt,

I was thinking the same thing... off-road or on-road.

If I get the XXX-S together in time I'll probably head to AJ's.

Jimmy
Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We don't have any pictures of this year's off-road layout, but the area is the same as those pictures (if that means anything). That old layout was basically 4 straightaways with 180's on the ends... not much fun. The current layout is more fun. No 'big air' on the current layout, but that can be changed for future layouts. The off-road track directors need your input in these first few races to figure out what to change, if anything.

I was thinking that we wouldn't conflict with AJ's since he runs off-road this year on Sundays, but I didn't think about those of you that want to run both on-road and off-road. Tony and Frank are really debating whether or not it's worth while to keep the off road track in Tinley this year, so I'd say that if you think you'll want to run off-road on Saturdays at all this summer, you probably should come to these first couple of races to show your support before they decide there isn't enough turnout to justify the work.

That said, I'm going to AJ's (but I'm not an off-road guy).

As for the on-road points series, the two supported classes are nitro and electric touring cars. There will be trophies for at least the entire A-main and some of the B, however, Leisure Hours is sponsoring this first race, so they are supplying the trophies and can decide which trophies to supply.

Also, for those that have not heard, we'll have some nice give-aways (via raffle ticket) at our points races this year. Things like bodies, tires, fuel and even Airtronics radios (you can see our list of points series sponsors on the lower left side of our home page).

And parking/pitting shouldn't be nearly the problem it was last year. There is a very large gravel area for pits (150' x 150', at least) directly to the south of the track. But if you must have a 'track side' pit, get there early. And there is electricity right at that south end of the track, so bring with your own 50' or 100' extension cord, and you'll have your own outlet to plug it into. If you don't need electricity, there are many more 'track side' pit spaces along the East side and at the North end of the track that are nice, but don't have AC outlets nearby.

Overall, we've got a pretty nice location for racing this year.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

walt.

just wondering how the electrical hookups are this year...

one thing i remembered last season was there was really only 1 or 2 main extension cords people plugged into. Then periodically as people showed up or left they would 'unplug' random cords or surge protectors.

if you weren't watching you would get disconnected and your batteries stopped charging.

anyway......hope the first weekend is a blast. i plan to make it out next sunday.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Nexus
walt.

just wondering how the electrical hookups are this year...

one thing i remembered last season was there was really only 1 or 2 main extension cords people plugged into. Then periodically as people showed up or left they would 'unplug' random cords or surge protectors.
I never wanted to invest in fixing the electrical problems on the other side since I knew we'd be moving. Now that we moved, I had no problem plunking down some money to fix the power problem. We now have an AC power junction box with 4 separate 6-outlet strips each on it's own 20 amp breaker. That junction box will be set up on race days right at the south end of the track, where pretty much everyone will be pitting.

If you come with your own 50' or 100' extension cord, you can be pretty much guarenteed to be plugged into one of those 24 available outlets that are right on a main circuit. Those 4 outlets strips are wired right into the circuit breaker box, so they can not be unplugged. We shouldn't have any power problems out there this year.

Last year we were all on a single 15 amp circuit with a single (but good) extension cord leading to the pit area. Now I have four 20-amp circuits right at the front of the pit area.

It's not as good as any permanent track would have, but it's way better than last year, and should be way more power than we'll ever need (as long as I keep a handle on number of air compressors hooked up).

I think you'll like it.

See you next Sunday.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Early?

Hey Walt, how early are guys showing up to get those spaces right near the electrical junction spool?

And what time does breakfast start in the bowling alley kitchen?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Early?

Originally posted by chicagokenji
Hey Walt, how early are guys showing up to get those spaces right near the electrical junction spool?

And what time does breakfast start in the bowling alley kitchen?
At our first race of the season, guys were starting to show up by about 7:30am. Our goal is to have the track open for practice by 9am, so they are getting there pretty early. The first couple of guys were there before I had set up the first track board.

However, like I said, everyone should be able to pit within 100' (or even 50') of our electrical junction box. Since you'll be the only one on your extension cord, you can get a cheap 16 gauge cord and be fine. A 50' 16 gauge extension cord costs $5 at Home Depot and will be more than enough as long as you don't run an air compressor. For another $8 you can get a nice reel to store the cord on.

I'd rather get a long extension cord than have to get there really early just to sit right next to the outlets.

As for breakfast time at the bowling alley, it is either 8am or 9am... I need to confirm that. I'll try to remember to ask them and let everyone know.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Early?

I just want to make sure I can get next to Davito, that way I can glom onto his starter box, cool expensive tools and all the cigarettes I can mooch.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just want to make sure I can get next to Davito, that way I can glom onto his starter box, cool expensive tools and all the cigarettes I can mooch.
I don't know if you want to pit that close to him. Looks like I'll be out there this sunday.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Just tell DeVitto........"YOU can do it...." LOL
Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default got power?

Yea, Walt's power solution was pretty sweet. It looks like a 'power robot' a.k.a. R2D2!

It worked good...
Attached Thumbnails Chicagoland R/C Raceway, Tinley Park, IL-r2d2.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

how sweet is this pic? nothing like keeping warm with your pit towel!

Ha!!
Attached Thumbnails Chicagoland R/C Raceway, Tinley Park, IL-cold.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by TC_Tuner
how sweet is this pic? nothing like keeping warm with your pit towel!

Ha!!
T man....good to see you again, are you stocking TWESTER TIRES now or GQ...? Just wondering cause I might need some foams...thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

TC-Tuner isn't Tony... it's Eric. He's sponsored by GQ tires, but doesn't sell them (as far as I know). Tony is selling Twister tires this year (I just asked him yesterday).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.