Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Can I salvage this Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor? >

Can I salvage this Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Juglenaut
  • 1 Post By the rc guy
  • 1 Post By freaksofnature

Can I salvage this Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Can I salvage this Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

I've dusted off an old OFNA Jammin' SCRT10 with super low hours on it. When I got it I purchased the Havoc Pro SC ESC combo with the non-Ballistic motor option. It's a sensored, brushless setup, as many of you know. However, the truck will only run for a couple minutes before everything cuts out. I know the battery and radio are good because I tested them on another truck. I've tried resetting the ESC several times, checked temps, etc. I've read threads that mentioned a firmware upgrade but since Novak is no more that could be tough. I just replaced another Novak ESC and motor combo because the ESC was not compatible with non-sensored motors.

I'd love some advice on troubleshooting and hopefully salvaging this motor if the issue turns out to be the ESC. The motor has about an hour of run time on it and I'd hate to chuck it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

t0adman likes this.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

unlikely.. you can try and add a fan .
t0adman likes this.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

By odd chance is it set for lipo and your running a nicd pack cuz if so that will give the same symptoms you are having
t0adman likes this.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Talking ESC

Originally Posted by t0adman
I've dusted off an old OFNA Jammin' SCRT10 with super low hours on it. When I got it I purchased the Havoc Pro SC ESC combo with the non-Ballistic motor option. It's a sensored, brushless setup, as many of you know. However, the truck will only run for a couple minutes before everything cuts out. I know the battery and radio are good because I tested them on another truck. I've tried resetting the ESC several times, checked temps, etc. I've read threads that mentioned a firmware upgrade but since Novak is no more that could be tough. I just replaced another Novak ESC and motor combo because the ESC was not compatible with non-sensored motors.

I'd love some advice on troubleshooting and hopefully salvaging this motor if the issue turns out to be the ESC. The motor has about an hour of run time on it and I'd hate to chuck it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
OK, if I'm reading your post right, you're running a SENSORED ESC with a NON-SENSORED motor....right? It runs for a bit & then it will stop......right?
If the ESC is SENSORED ONLY, then I would try to find a SENSORED motor to run instead of what you're trying to do. Or a ESC that will run either in SENSORED or NON-SENSORED mode. I have a unbranded Castle Sidewinder V2 ESC that is NON-SENSORED & I'm running a Tekin Redline 4 or 6 turn without problems. You can get the unbranded Castle on FleaBay for like $30 or something. You can find the Tekin on their website for like $24, so not a major investment for either.
As for a fan, it's not really going to help with the setup you're currently running. The sensor wire tells the ESC the timing of the motor (position of the rotor). The fan will help the ESC stay cool & it will cool the motor when mounted.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
OK, if I'm reading your post right, you're running a SENSORED ESC with a NON-SENSORED motor....right?
Thanks for your reply.

Nope, I'm running a Novak ESC and motor combo designed to work together. I'm wondering if there are other ESCs that are compatible with older Novak motors in case the motor works fine but the ESC is shot.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

novak had there own sensor wire layout that was unique t them.I dont know it that esc motor combo fell into that area..I never liked novak due to that and other reasons..I know there was a web link to what esc where in that .I dont think its still up I looked. id just invest in another esc motor combo and save myself the hassle.