Wiki Posts
Search

On-Road Tracks in VA, NC, MD

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default On-Road Tracks in VA, NC, MD

Well, we're not as lucky as SoCal or Florida, where we have a track on every corner. Here's a list of the tracks around here (on-road) that I have been to and wish to visit again, and my impression of them. Everyone else please feel free to add to this:

1. Linville Hobbies, VA- Linville, VA (near Harrisonburg). Permanent asphalt road course and oval. Very nice. Uses the AMB RC system. They race electric and gas there. There are some pretty fast guys there, but everyone I've met there is pretty nice and willing to help.

2. Chapel Hill, R/C- Chapel Hill, NC. A parking lot track. They don't have a timing system yet, but they are suprisingly well organized. They race pretty much everything. Gas, electric, gas trucks, T-Maxx, Supers, etc. Both times I have been there there has been at least 40 racers. Everyone there is easy to get along with.

There are a lot more, I'm sure. Especially in the Richmond and Northern VA area, but, being in Roanoke, that is a little too far for me to travel. Please post any tracks you can. I know there are many off-road tracks in this area, but I'm a road racer.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

The Track

16806, Oakmont Ave, Gaithersburg, MD.

Carpet track(Nice), comp lap counter, and hobby shop. I havn't raced there yet but I went to scope it out a little while ago and it looks good. http://www.rctrack.com/
Old 09-23-2001, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Fatdoggy the track is cool but can be very technical for roadcource. I hear there is an interest in running oval there once or twice a month on sundays.

Another track thats cool to race at is RCO in Hanover PA. They run roadcource on saturday nights. Once again there is interest in a sunday oval program there once or twice a month. Whatever day or style you race at RCO remember NO TRACTION COMPOUND is allowed!!

I have others but they are getting near or have passed the ends fo thier seasons. If this thread saty around a few months ( or if anyone asks) I'll post them here later!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2001, 03:46 AM
Tech Addict

In Richmond we have 2 parking lot tracks. One run at The Hobby Corner in the 360 West shopping center. That track is run by our club VORRA www.vorra.org . We just got the website up and still working on it, but it gives directions, contact info, and track info. We do have a lap counting system (it's old but works & we're working on getting an amb system for next year) run just about every class: nitro cars & trucks, electric cars & trucks, and even have an off-road class we put the t-maxxs and monster blazers in.

The other is run by K & W Hobbies is the city's East End. I don't have any info on that track because I don't run there.

We also run at a parking lot track in Doswell across from Kings Dominion. This track is run by an 1/8 scale club SARA www.members.aol.com/sara1996va , but they run 1/10 nitro cars as well. They also have a lap counting sytem.

In Dumfries, you have Brown Brothers www.bbhobbies.com . They have a permanent asphalt track as well as a permanent dirt track. The onroad track is tight and fairly technical, but very nice to run on and they use an amb system.

In NoVa, you have a parking lot track in Chantilly and Rider's Hobbies in Sterling. Both have lap counting sytems, but I don't think they are an amb system. But they work though.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

We at Hobbytown in Frederick,Md. with alittle luck will have a permenent onroad track next season. We've been running parkinglot races but the time to load the track take it to the lot, unload and set up, then tear down and pack it up is taking WAY to much time. We proposed to the owner about it and he's all for it. We currently have a amb system but again he said if we get things worked out he'll trade-in the old system for the new one as well.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: On-Road Tracks in VA, NC, MD

Originally posted by Cosmo

2. Chapel Hill, R/C- Chapel Hill, NC. A parking lot track. They don't have a timing system yet, but they are suprisingly well organized. They race pretty much everything. Gas, electric, gas trucks, T-Maxx, Supers, etc. Both times I have been there there has been at least 40 racers. Everyone there is easy to get along with.
I am not sure when you last raced at Chapel Hill but they had a timing system there but something went wrong when setting it up. They should have the bugs worked out by now.

I was there for the Sept. 23rd race and snatched a second place win in the stock electric class. They are well organized and growing. I hope to return there again.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:28 PM
Tech Rookie

i race at Browns Brothers they have a very good track its not too hard and im not a pro the people are very nice.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

We have recently taken over the racing in Roanoke. We hope to turn things around and get things organized. We held our first race this past weekend. Not a large turnout, but it's a start. It would be great to see some of you northern VA/Richmond guys come down some time. Our web site is http://roanokerc.cjb.net.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Cosmo,

When do you guys start up your nitro season?

Are the dates on your site updated?

Is 20% nitro still the max allowed?

I'm trying to plan my season for this year. Hopefully, I can make a weekend trip (or 2) to hit Linville and you guys. A big thing would be the nitro %. A lot of us (myself included) run 30%.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Our season will start the last weekend of March. We run on Sundays. We don't have any rules on how much nitro % because it hasn't come up. Obviously if someone running 30% blows everyone off the track, people will start complaining and we'll have to look into it then, but the track is tight enough that I don't think it will make a difference.

We don't have our transponder system yet, but we should in a few months. It looks like we might not have it for the first few races. We have some timing software that we use where you push the #1, #2, #3 etc. on the keyboard to score the cars. It's not as accurate as transponders, but it works well enough for now.

We have talked to the people at Linville, and they want us to run a race up there this season sometime. We are going to do that, but we're not sure when yet.

We are still deciding which track layout to use here, and in the next few weeks, if the weather cooperates, we're going to lay out a few different tracks and do some testing to see what tires work, and we'll post that on the website.

Our website is http://roanokerc.cjb.net Our schedule is up there too. If you need to get in touch with us you can email us at [email protected]

Also, if you want, email me your address and we'll put you on the mailing list for the newsletter.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guy!!!!

I asked about the nitro % because 20% is what's listed on your site. Also, I wasn't sure if the dates posted on the site were left over from 2001 or updated for 2002. I can start doing some planning.

If anyone's interested, we run in Richmond on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month. We just ordered a new AMB system that uses the personal transponders, but we will have "loaners" for anyone that doesn't have their own. We're also updating our driver's stand this year. The one we've been using is toooooooooooooooo small. This one will be 16'. Hopefully that'll be enough. We also got plans to update the internal lane markers so that we can change the layout easier. That'll probably take a few months to get in place, but we plan to have the AMB system and driver's stand in place by March.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

brown brothers hobbies in beautiful, scenic ,,rustic dumfries,va has a permenent asphalt track and we will run saturdays and sundays starting at noon on both days probably starting around the last weekend in march. we will nitro and electric roadcourse.so come on down and join us for some competitive racing and a lot of fun.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

bigbob, about how big is your paved track?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Chantilly Racing:

We will be starting are parking lot race in late April. Once the final schedule gets reviewed, and approved, I'll post it on the web site.

New track material/ design this year, so setup and tear down time will be greatly reduced. No more screwing.

http://communities.msn.com/chantillyracing

See ya at the track.

Mark
Old 03-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Are you affilated with Hobby Hangar or Ryder Hobbies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.