Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
Race Chilhowee Knoxville!!! ROCCK Racing Club Owned & Operated Off-Road Track >

Race Chilhowee Knoxville!!! ROCCK Racing Club Owned & Operated Off-Road Track

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race Chilhowee Knoxville!!! ROCCK Racing Club Owned & Operated Off-Road Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cajvol94
*****SAT RACE FEB 21st POSTPONED TILL FEB 28th*****

Due to the current and forecasted weather Friday/Sat this Sat Feb 21st Club race is moved back to next Sat Feb 28th. So we will be racing 2 weekends in a row.
Will there be practice instead or nothing at all?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Is the rocck having a club race on the 28 of February? I'm hearing two different things
Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Austin's dad
Is the rocck having a club race on the 28 of February? I'm hearing two different things
No race next sat the 28th. The city has an event planned at the pavilion.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

So what about practice the 21st?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Post 2015 State Championship

2015 State Championship
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Tech Initiate

I need to go to this...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Wow...this race is selling out fast...

I'm signed up....and Ben...so, we're good...Can't wait!!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 2wd buggy

I want to get into 2wd buggys and was wondering which platform to go with the mid motor or rear motor, motor size, esc and steering servo?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

I was hoping i could make it but being 3 hrs away i just cant get on the waitin list and just jump over there with yall, but maybe thruough the summer i can come check yall out sometimes
Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kg4ujd
I want to get into 2wd buggys and was wondering which platform to go with the mid motor or rear motor, motor size, esc and steering servo?
Well....2wd buggys and SCT's are my favorite classes...and I've got a lot of experience with both rear and MM 22-2.0's at our track....

Here's the way I'd decide....

Do you like TLR? If so...then a 22-2.0 kit comes with parts to make it run either way....

I'm running....

RM or MM 22-2.0 with setups from the TLR website....no changes.....the Maifield MM setup that is popular...and the Root August 2013 RM setup. The RM car has won a lot of races for me....from the first time I put that setup in the car....

I am running Tekin RS Gen 2 Esc's......and I feel that this is VERY important for 2wd....you NEED a quality ESC with loads of programming options for timing and brake settings to get the most out of the car while keeping it easy to drive.

I run an 8.5T or 9.5T motor and I do boost it up although it takes careful use of the programming to get faster with this high-power setup since it can be a rocket......I'd recommend no hotter than a 10.5 (or 13.5T if you have not ran a lot before)......the lower power systems are good for starting out fresh into the 2wd class...get that hooked up and fast and then we'll talk about more power......simply strapping in BIG power at first will be frustrating.

My favorite 2wd servo is the low-profile Savox SC1251mg servo....running on 7.4 volts from the ESC.....SPEED and light weight are key to a good 2wd car.

Now for my best secret.....don't run a heavy battery......I actually run lighter than normal.....REALLY light...pro-tek 2s shorty packs....but only the lightest and smallest ones I can find....they are only 2800mah and REALLY small and thin...much lighter than the standard 4400mah shorty packs. I have NO problem making time in a 10min race with these packs and my 8.5T setup...and the lightweight pack makes the car feel very nimble.

http://www.amain.com/protek-rc-2s-su...800mah/p423773

Have you got any 2wd experience?

Rear motor is more stable and comfortable but slightly less corner speed...but is generally easier to make the car hook-up on rear grip. Better for inexperienced 2wd guys. MM is not hard to get working right with motors down to 10.5T or so...but is more challenging to get flying fast with HOT motors. I've been running a pair of 22's...one set up for MM and one for RM. I have been racing the RM car most of the time with a goal of trying the MM and getting the "current" setup in it.....now, I'm there but the last two times out it had ESC and servo issues...so I raced the RM car and did very well.

I will be running the MM car for a while now to see what it gives me...but if I'm struggling with grip.....I'll throw down the RM car and it's rock solid.

Tyler has been running a MM B5 AE car...I've driven it, and it is good also. Mark Moon won the money race in January with a B5M.....I was running my RM car in second place only 7sec back after 10min....on the last lap but choked and Looper put me back down to 3rd with a MM 22-2.0.....and in 4th place right behind me was another MM 22-2.0.

So...it's a toss up...... The RM cars are easier to hook up the rear end but once you get that working right you will normally be searching for more steering.......the MM cars have better steering and higher corner speeds....but can be tricky to get rear grip when the track is dry and slick. When the track is in good shape it is NOT hard to hook-up the MM cars.

So....either get the AE or Kyosho you like.....or just get the TLR and be happy since it is bulletproof and comes with all you need to run both MM and RM.

I LOVE running the 2wd buggy...but also the SCT....I run a 22-2.0SCT set up for MM and love it.....although my old truck before the 2.0's came out ran well as RM.

If you have any 2wd questions....PM me anytime....it's a pleasure to help out folks that are interested in running (or running better) in the classes I like to run....we need more 2wd guys.

Here's the no-holds barred top-of-the-line wish list for the best 2wd setup.....

For Rear motor....
TLR 22-2.0
TLR bellcrank steering kit - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT...REQUIRED!!!
Savox 1251mg
Tekin RS Gen2 power pack with motor of your choice....10.5 recommended until you get that running FAST
Pinion gear from TLR manual for your motor
Pro-line M4 electron's for the front and rear....run the foam that comes with these tires
Pro-Tek batteries listed above....the little 2800mah ones
Cab-forward body of your choice....TLR runs best but looks stupid...the Pro-line bulldog works well for me in RM
TLR lightweight -2.5mm chassis (optional...but does help)
Side-pod weights from RocketRC....or just use lead or putty....about 10g on each side in middle pocket
Run the Frank-Root August 5, 2013 setup...right off the sheet...ALL of it...the car will be DIALED IN

Mid motor....
Same as above...but run the Maifield MM setup.....BUT add the Rear TLR tranny weight kit...TLR4151...in addition to the full Maifield MM setup.

Of course...if you run Kyosho, Durango, AE, or other chassis....I'm not as much help...but I have hundreds of hours on TLR 22's.

Last edited by Bivens; 03-01-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Tech Initiate

What about the short course buggys do you run those with the short course trucks?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Sometimes, but I would highly recommend against it. Some people have issues with it even at club races. You might race with the SCTs but you will not be eligible for the podium. You will be unlikely to run it at the big races at all.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Only 10 spots in 4wd SCT? Why isn't it a full class along with the rest of them? I understand needing more room for other classes but there's no reason to deduct from an already existing class, it won't shorten the time any as there's still a 4wd SCT race, just smaller numbers on the track at that given time
Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WalshD250
Only 10 spots in 4wd SCT? Why isn't it a full class along with the rest of them? I understand needing more room for other classes but there's no reason to deduct from an already existing class, it won't shorten the time any as there's still a 4wd SCT race, just smaller numbers on the track at that given time
It actually makes a huge difference. We have a class of 10 trucks that will run one heat in each round. If we added more, it would require us to add another heat to each round and a b main to the schedule. We had a dozen guys ready to sign up and pay to run another class that was already full and only had 10 4wd sct spots filled. The decision was pretty easy. You cap one class that may or may not fill up and expand the class that you already know will fill up. We are working on ideas to remedy this situation in the future and will hopefully be able to figure something out.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jbranscum09
It actually makes a huge difference. We have a class of 10 trucks that will run one heat in each round. If we added more, it would require us to add another heat to each round and a b main to the schedule. We had a dozen guys ready to sign up and pay to run another class that was already full and only had 10 4wd sct spots filled. The decision was pretty easy. You cap one class that may or may not fill up and expand the class that you already know will fill up. We are working on ideas to remedy this situation in the future and will hopefully be able to figure something out.
That makes more sense, I was just disappointed that I wouldn't be able to race at all! Hopefully we can work something out because I'd love to be out there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.