Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

BMI Racing Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

That looks awesome. What type of bodies are you going to run on that?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default BMI on the oval...

I love the looks of that chassis, but I have one major concern with it. Being a long-time oval guy from WAY back, I'm curious as to the design of the chassis and why the batteries are set so far OUTSIDE of the with of the wheels? If I am not mistaken, not only will this be impossible to put under any oval body out there (dirt or NASCAR), but is not legal for racing according to most sanctioning bodies.

I'd love to see this chassis with the inside edge of the chassis right on the external edge of the left-side tires, maybe without so much "room" to move them in and out. I think you are really on to something here, and with dirt oval racing growing again in waves, and the TC classes being a new part of that growth, this could be a nicely sized untapped market. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rumored touring car from Custom Works be an "oval ready" or at least oval friendly version of an already proven TC design.

I'm VERY intrigued about this. Is there potential to offer this chassis to the public or even on special orders? I may have to find another FTTC3 to build...

Can you guys provide any insight on some of the design thoughts behind this experiment?

-doug
Old 03-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Because the cars will not run a wing on the back as typical oval cars, I have thoughts of a Dodge Intrepid. I need to look and find one that is at least 8" wide front to rear. We used 200mm arms on the right and 190mm arms on the left to help osset the weight. From the left side of the chassis to the RR tire measure right at 8". You really can't see it but that is the new matte/flat black graphite. This stuff does not flex and is really cool looking. The whole car will have the same graphite. Chassis, upper deck, bumper brace, front/rear shock towers, neff wing, and custom rear body mount. I am going to work with Jason on a Custom Works type rear body mount. Beings I am using the aluminum mount and graphite shock towers, we can put a graphite plate in between the aluminum shock mount and tranny case. Have it extend out the rear and then have a "Y" split for the body mount.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, by the way... here's my current infatuation:

Old 03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Thats just too cool. I was a semi-pro dirt racer for years, I would love to see dirt ovals start popping up around the US more. Keep the pics comming.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

I am also liking the idea of the front steering knuckles on the rear with fixed links for assymetrical rear toe.

Ok, where did that rear mounting plate come from, and where did you get the shock tower mounts?

This thing gets cooler every time I look at it...
Tech Fanatic

If you look close you can see small holes in the battery slots. I had Jason do this so we could mount the IRS lBattery Locator plates. These will help keep the pack from moving from side to side and they are fully adjustable. You can move the plates in and out.

I think the above post will explain that the car meets all rules as far as wheel base and width.

If needed for dirt oval racing you could install the Associated 200mm conversion on all 4 wheels. I think the 190mm left and 200mm right is a great place to start.
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

ApexSpeed very nice looking BMI TC3. How does it work with the shocks laid in like you have them on the front of the car. Do you run the setup on asphalt with rubber tires or on carpet?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Both towers are GPM TC3 rear tower upgrades . I will have Jason make new towers with a different roll center on the left side to allow the tires to work parallell (spelling?).

The rear suspension took some work. I wanted to be able to adjust the rear tow on each wheel. Way back in the day we used to run 1 1/2 deree tow on the left and zero on the right. This helped the car swing in and out of the corners quicker. The rear mount is a K-Factory NTC3 rear arm mount. Jason altered the mounting holes to accept either the standard TC3 or NTC3 mount.

The motor mount was moved and reversed (machining) for the left side. the servo mount is also on the left.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by wyd
ApexSpeed very nice looking BMI TC3. How does it work with the shocks laid in like you have them on the front of the car. Do you run the setup on asphalt with rubber tires or on carpet?
This is a rubber/carpet car, and the odd looking front shocks are actually an optical illusion. The front shock tower is really a rear tower, using the stock rear body mount holes as a shock mounting position. They are almost exactly in the same spots as the front tower's holes that I was previously using (based on BB's Trackside setup on Associated's website).

This weekend will be the first run for me with the rear tower on the front, and I wanted to start out with a setup that I already am familiar with and change it during the day to have common data to compare.

On a side note, yeah, the motor mount is a pain and kind of difficult to get used to, but it is minor with the quality and craftsmanship on the rest of the car. The battery slots fit battery packs right out of the box better than any R/C chassis I have used in the past 20 years. Absolutely amazing.

Stunning product.

I haven't even run this car yet, and I already want this oval chassis... I have a sickness.

-doug
Old 03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

pics
Attached Thumbnails BMI Racing Discussions-tc3-oval-018.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

more pics
Attached Thumbnails BMI Racing Discussions-tc3-oval-015.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

pics
Attached Thumbnails BMI Racing Discussions-tc3-oval-016.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

steering
Attached Thumbnails BMI Racing Discussions-tc3-oval-018.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 07:15 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks Apex. Great looking car.

Tornado nice looking start for the oval TC3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.