Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered! >

Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered!

Like Tree1Likes

Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered!

Old 07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: ESC

Originally posted by Tronky
Just got myself a Tamiya electric, was happily building away when I realised there's no space for a msc and second servo as space's pretty tight and there's no mounting holes in the upper deck. The upper deck's graphite, so I suppose drilling holes is definitely out.

May I know other than the "big" Sanwa esc which cld be had for ard $60, is there any other cheapo esc avail in S'pore? I need only something that cld take me to 19 turns.
If you're talking about the TA04R, 04TRF or TB Evos... ppl who go for these serious graphite'd racecars would not even dream of putting in MSC!! All other Tamiya cars which can take MSC would supply MSC & all fixing parts in the kit.

With ESC, you get what you pay for.
Don't buy the cheapest ones, especially if you're using hot motors.

LRP & Nosram have some very compact ones (Quantum, Dominator).
Try look for the Futaba 330 too, that's pretty small.
All these would be about the S$100 mark new.

High-end stuff from KO, Futaba, Novak, Keyence, CS etc etc
would be as small for "unlimited motor" but you'll be up for
$300+ for the latest models & designs. You get what you pay for.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry Need help on 2 EP questions.

Hi,
need help on 2 EP questions.

1) how do you cal. the 2 gears? ( motor pinion & big gear ) so that I'm using the right gearing not to burn the motor and batt. I using 23t stock motor.

2) my TA04 front dogbone keep droping out when I hard cornering. Is it the dogbone too short??What dogbone ( brand ) and U shaft to replace??

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i used to run 23T motors at about 6.4 gearing....

final drive ratio = (spur/pinion) x (diff/center pulley)

to prevent ur dog bonez from dropping out, simply insert o-rings inside the drive cups or the axles... the idea is to keep the bonez centered... make sure there is no binding as u move the arms after dat... or u can just go out and buy a universal...
Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

hey guys ..... i need some help ....
i am intro air brushing bodysheel ...... could anyone give me an idea where to get the paint for polycarbonate???

currently using acrylic paints ... doesnt seem to stick to the body ..... heehee .....
Old 07-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

i've seen some at chi long hobby... i think the brand is fast colour...
Old 07-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

sorry ...... but i need more details ...... im from JB ... it would help if you could give me a better pic on where it is ..... i wont be totally lost ..... but i still need more details ....
Old 07-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Tech Champion

i cannot remember the address off hand...

it's somewhere in bukit merah... for more detail, u can send a PM to Kylelim... he's the shop owner...
Old 07-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: ESC

Hi,

Just got myself a Tamiya electric, was happily building away when I realised there's no space for a msc and second servo as space's pretty tight and there's no mounting holes in the upper deck. The upper deck's graphite, so I suppose drilling holes is definitely out.

May I know other than the "big" Sanwa esc which cld be had for ard $60, is there any other cheapo esc avail in S'pore? I need only something that cld take me to 19 turns.

Try getting Futaba MC330R like what WC recomended. I got mine at Winnie's 4mths back at around $95. I have the manual in pdf. Email me if @ [email protected] if you want the manual.
Below is the excerpt of the specs for the MC330R.

Eh, tronky, we met at Pasir Ris didn't we? Remember that saturday night? :P When your Electric is up, let's go for a spin.
Attached Thumbnails Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered!-mc330cr.jpg  
Old 07-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Default Battery discharge.

Besides using stringed 12v light bulbs, is it ok to use a small DC fan like those cpu fans. Fans at 12V 0.7Amp. I used 2, was wondering if it's ok. Enlighten me please.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation 6.4 gearing

Hi Hellangel,
thanks for the reply,
but I still don't understand how you cal. 6.4 gearing??
Can you help by giving some eg.
Which is the best gearing on what motor??
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi nixaad

My electric's up, in fact we are now playing electrics alternately with nitros. We'll start off with nitros in Pasir Ris before heading off for an electric session.

Bought a FF02 late last mth, realised it tail spins everywhere (worse when I change to a better motor) so I had gotten myself a TA04. Now the FF02 wld be used for rallying. Steven's gotten himself a new TA04 too and is fixing it up, both his TL01s are now "bashing" vehicles doing kerb jumps, climbing of steep inclines and believe it or not, bashing on pebbles and rocks.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: 6.4 gearing

Originally posted by wolfman
Hi Hellangel,
thanks for the reply,
but I still don't understand how you cal. 6.4 gearing??
Can you help by giving some eg.
Which is the best gearing on what motor??
Thanks.

i'm assuming u have a TA-04...

the TA-04 has a diff with 32T and a center pulley with 15T... let us assume dat ur pinion is 40T and ur spur is 120T...just sub these numbers into the equation i provided in the earlier post and u can calculate ur gear ratio...

final drive ratio (FDR) = (spur/pinion) x (diff/center pulley)
FDR = (120/40) x (32/15)
FDR = (3) x (2.13)
FDR = 6.39

i think 6.4 should be a good starting point for 23T motors... u may have to gear up or down a bit to fine tune to ur particular motor...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Hi nixaad

My electric's up, in fact we are now playing electrics alternately with nitros. We'll start off with nitros in Pasir Ris before heading off for an electric session.

Bought a FF02 late last mth, realised it tail spins everywhere (worse when I change to a better motor) so I had gotten myself a TA04. Now the FF02 wld be used for rallying. Steven's gotten himself a new TA04 too and is fixing it up, both his TL01s are now "bashing" vehicles doing kerb jumps, climbing of steep inclines and believe it or not, bashing on pebbles and rocks.

*speechless* I'm missing the fun... u guys constantly at Pasir ris every saturday night? I think it's time for me to be a regular there. Btw, if you're playing electrics, did u guys brought any charger?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:50 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery discharge.

Originally posted by nixaad
Besides using stringed 12v light bulbs, is it ok to use a small DC fan like those cpu fans. Fans at 12V 0.7Amp. I used 2, was wondering if it's ok. Enlighten me please.
It depends what you want... how much current you want to discharge your pack at??

1 lightbulb sucks about 2A. Use multiples... most ppl use 10 for 20A draw - to replicate in-car use. They flatten your pack in < 5 mins.

I also have 2X "4-inch PC casefan" wired in parallel to battery plug. Most will self-start off 7.2V (ie don't need assistance to start spinning), but some won't - just gotta try. I only use these fans to cool battery & motor; if connected to a fully charged pack they will run for hours. I usually connect them to the first pack I used, then they run for at least 1hr after that.

When I connect battery to 20/25/30A discharger, I usually have the fans blowing across the battery too.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Battery discharge.

Originally posted by WC
It depends what you want... how much current you want to discharge your pack at??
<-- What do u mean 'how much current you want to discharge' ? I mean, discharge is discharge, to my pea brained knowledged, it means to discharge the current leaving it empty to fill it up later. Care to clarify?

1 lightbulb sucks about 2A. Use multiples... most ppl use 10 for 20A draw - to replicate in-car use. They flatten your pack in < 5 mins.
<--- Meaning that, say a Cell at 2Amp, discharge at 2Amp lah, so got 6 Cells, 2Amp X 6 Cells= 12Amp. So moi fan at 0.7Amp, needs say, 3 more fans to discharge a Cell. I got 6 Cells = 18 fans to discharge the Cells. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.