Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
NTC3, MTX3 or 705 Which one is the best? >

NTC3, MTX3 or 705 Which one is the best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3, MTX3 or 705 Which one is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

i would like to see the magazines do a touring car shootout

i think you guys are right i just know which car suits me best and i think you do too
Old 11-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

okay from the top of the food chain.... world report..

when it rained, there was a flowing trail of associated parts, gearbox covers, spurs... every run these were replaced on all of there cars... alll every run...

granted the ntc3 is the best out of the box on to the track( as the factory setup works rather well...BUT BUT... all the cars work equally well,

kyosho had very few cars there.. but was in the hunt..

mugan had a couple of cars there but not there new one( some parts that made it to the new one weere presant and helped but again only a few cars running... competitive

Serpent had very good showing.... new car is almost identical as far as entire desighn... ran exact same setup on the pro and the 705

Trinity had a small number of cars, and some custom parts.. plus the cyrul factor, give him the worst car and watch him win the championship........

speed they were all identical, duarbility ntc3 lost miserably, saw team drivers tossing radios on the ground in disgust, serp had a bad day a proven tank desighn failed on a car that was almost going to double lap the field at the 30 minute mark( salvin is a all or nothing driver and nothing short of incredible) and a bearing seizing up on a shaft, also going between last and third, with almost a lap down from the sarrt......... most were pretty comparable.....

all cars could equally handle the track and drive equally as fast and good( everyone had the same handling and setup problems.... barry baker is also incredible but works the car way too hard sometimes( like a salvin)

get the car that most of your locals are racing that will give you the best support, and spend your money on setup tools and tires, pretty much every car playing at the end of the day with the big boys was a all plastic out of the box car, very few if any aluminum or modified parts...... just good assembly and setup and driving....... a fast digital steering servo is much better than a aluminum radio brace......
Old 11-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Company Representative

Originally posted by jason102276
the 705 is designed for one way only there is no possibility of running a gear diff i do like the fact that 705 uses rear ball diff but my local tracks are small i may need that front diff and i already have all the parts from my old car so im better off this way
WRONG it is exactly the same front end (change chassie, and radio plate)
Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rranger
What you said is proofing my word, usually there are 2 ways for a car to go through a corner, by the differential effect and the chassis roll of by sliding the rear end with no diff. and less roll, sometimes a combination of two. Impulse and 705 basically are on road racer design came from their bigger brother Impact which is no rear differential at all. so the suspension geometry is limited to perform enough roll to get out from the corner, that makes it over steering (although serpent had done something to improve), that means you have to slide the tail in the tight corner, but unfortunately they don't have a really wide rear tyres like Impact, so the sliding tail become hardly to control, I guess your car is the one with too much sliding, it can be solved by setting, but it did takes time right?
Well, you are right about people not getting the settings right for the Impulse PRO. In the hands of a wrong person, it can be really frustrating and long process. The learning curve is very steep for the Serpent Impulse. I was warned before hand though... Not blowing off my own trumpet, but I got the right settings pretty quickly, thanks to the now defunct HPI forum and mytsn for examples of setups that could contribute to a better handling car. I was then driving one way front diff with rubber tires. Just recently, I switched to foams to test out, made some minor adjustments to the front sway bar, slant the rear shocks more, changed the rear droop settings and walla, I would not want to go back to rubber anymore...

Driving with foams is a blast. I can push the car to it's limit and throttling in the middle of the corner and yet my rear does not swing out. The car follows exactly where I point it at. Lots of steering with no rear swingout contrary to what you think how I drive my Impulse. Yes, I use front one way diff with almost locked rear.

Anyway, it is true that Serpent designed the Impulse with least body roll. If you want body roll and lots of suspension travel, then better get the HPI then. For high speed tracks, you wouldn't want body roll. That's what the anti-roll bar is for which is to keep the tires flat as much as possible while cornering. This is faster and provides the most grip due to more constant tire contact.

You also limit the amount of rear droop in order not to let the weight of the car shift to the front. Anyway, for high speed tracks, no matter what car you use, almost all the top drivers use rear solid axle with one way front diffs.

You forget that the 2WD Impact comes with a ball diff...
Old 11-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Tech Prophet

the 705 is designed for one way only there is no possibility of running a gear diff i do like the fact that 705 uses rear ball diff but my local tracks are small i may need that front diff and i already have all the parts from my old car so im better off this way
I guess you read the FAQ which mentiones that the 705 does not take front diff... Wrong.

The 705 does take the front gear diffs since the front bulkheads are the same and the 705 and Impulse PRO also uses the same one way front diff. Read the mytsn forums.

Even the parts list for the 705 mentions the inclusion of front gear diff which is the same one used in the Impulse Streetspec / PRO... Don't know why they have not changed it yet...

Ok, maybe I'm wrong but are the front diffs of the MTX-2 interchangable with the MTX-3? I heard that lots of parts are different.

If the parts are interchangable, then you made the right choice of staying with Mugen (not that Mugen is a bad car...)

But if the parts are indeed different, then it's the same thing as getting the V1RR, GT4, Serpent or the NTC3 and start over again. Well, the NTC3 goes a few steps further because the starter box will be diffrent and your metric tools would have to be changed to imperial...
Old 11-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am reasonably sure i read on mytsn under description of 705 or maybe in faq but anyway it said one way only diff wouldnt work if you modified it and it worked or whatever cool i just read that and took it to be true
either way mtx-3 is awesome out the box the setup is great even on a loose track i never run on before i felt that it was the fastest thing id ever driven and those who saw the race thought the same thing and those people are now shopping for mtx-3
i hopr that people do continue to voice other opinions and buy other cars it wouldnt be as fun if everyone was the same anyway
the new car is physically faster than old car as i was able to hang with or even sometimes catch 2 ntc3 with better engines and a mtx-2 with modded engine
ammdrew you are a tristate guy arent you i would probably made a different car choice if i raced there often i was at nats and my mtx-2 had no speed i used my ntc3 instead and then i was fast enough but i broke alot i ran into the wall at end of straight after my reciever pack dumped ruined oneway front arms upright and bending chassis which cost me afew diff gears before i realized problem anyway i would probably buy a serpent if i raced there more often due to its better long track gearing
Old 11-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

there are only a few parts that are the same between mugens the front diff requires internal gears and outdrives those parts are interchangable not much else though it is compltely new design and in my opinion a very good one i didnt know about the serpent diff because i only read product info on the car before making up my mind not the forums
Old 11-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Tech Prophet

i am reasonably sure i read on mytsn under description of 705 or maybe in faq but anyway it said one way only diff wouldnt work if you modified it and it worked or whatever cool i just read that and took it to be true
either way mtx-3 is awesome out the box the setup is great even on a loose track i never run on before i felt that it was the fastest thing id ever driven and those who saw the race thought the same thing and those people are now shopping for mtx-3
i hopr that people do continue to voice other opinions and buy other cars it wouldnt be as fun if everyone was the same anyway
the new car is physically faster than old car as i was able to hang with or even sometimes catch 2 ntc3 with better engines and a mtx-2 with modded engine
ammdrew you are a tristate guy arent you i would probably made a different car choice if i raced there often i was at nats and my mtx-2 had no speed i used my ntc3 instead and then i was fast enough but i broke alot i ran into the wall at end of straight after my reciever pack dumped ruined oneway front arms upright and bending chassis which cost me afew diff gears before i realized problem anyway i would probably buy a serpent if i raced there more often due to its better long track gearing
Yes, you are right again. The 705 FAQ on Mytsn still states that the 705 does not take in the front diffs... Well, in this case, Serpent is wrong. It happens...

I don't doubt that the MTX-3 is a fast car out of the box. In fact the other day, the MTX-3 TQed at our track. Didn't make it to the A mains though...

Anyway, yes I woud agree with you that the world would be a dull place to race if all racers start to buy only one car.

Different people different taste... After weighting the other criterias, most importantly to consider is the fact that when you buy a particular car, make sure that you're not the only one driving it. It is good to drive what other people at the track are driving. Parts support and price should also be an important criteria to consider.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Tech Prophet

there are only a few parts that are the same between mugens the front diff requires internal gears and outdrives those parts are interchangable not much else though it is compltely new design and in my opinion a very good one i didnt know about the serpent diff because i only read product info on the car before making up my mind not the forums
So you're saying that if I have a complete front diff assembly from the MTX-2, I can just swap it out and put it in the MTX-3 without modifications?
Old 11-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

no you have to use the diff case that came with mtx-3 and put the internal gears and outdrives from old mtx-2 diff also same gears as the mbx4

after the diff is built it is a direct fit

for some reason mugen didnt supply us with those parts just a new case the old front diff was much bigger it used like a 36 tooth gear i think the new car is 32 maybe even smaller

so what happened to the mtx-3 that tqed
Old 11-26-2002, 06:01 PM
Company Representative

I normally race in a small parkinglot track in minnesota, sometimes blown off and sometimes not, if i am ambitiouse i will put down vht, or sugar water, but at best gauranteed just blown off, so i normally race on a low traction and lots of marbles with minimal compatition, i just go to great lengths to race with the big dogs, and usually can run pretty well with them especially since all my racing comes out of my pocket, and i usually do not get good tracks to practise on....
Old 11-27-2002, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

ammdrew i think that the mtx-3 would handle perfectly under the conditions you described it sounds just like where i ran last weekend and was dailed in perfectly with the stock setup

you dont run a solid rear under those conditions do you?

do you run front and rear diffs?
Old 11-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

who on here is sponsored at any level

i am not sponsored i sure wish i was
Old 11-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Tech Prophet

ammdrew i think that the mtx-3 would handle perfectly under the conditions you described it sounds just like where i ran last weekend and was dailed in perfectly with the stock setup

you dont run a solid rear under those conditions do you?

do you run front and rear diffs?
Andrew runs on front one ways with an FPS ball diff in the rear. He sets the rear diff accroding to the track.

At the Nats and worlds, he was using an Impact solid axle with one way front diff.

So you're running full time diffs on your MTX-3?
Old 11-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

no im not running diffs yet i was in such a hurry to assemble i didnt put the front diff together yet but i will there is at least one track i go to where it will be needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.