Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

Schumacher Eclipse 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dyoung
The little dampener tubes in the front are brittle when building, broke two of them.
Can you run without them, just putting oil on the kingpins themselves (as "normal" with other 12th scale cars)?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dyoung
Bought one for myself and my wife and got to run mine for the first time yesterday. So far I'm impressed, more corner speed, very stable with the out of box setup on a large grey carpet track with med/high traction. Ran the same gearing/motor/esc as previous car and went 2 laps faster. Should have the other running for this weekend after some issues. That's the good, now the not so good. The little dampener tubes in the front are brittle when building, broke two of them. The thrust bearing for the diff comes with a spacer and on both cars the spacer actually compressed into the race of the thrust washer and I had to re-space the diffs to make them work. Also, if your going to run 17.5 you need to change the 76 spur to something smaller as there is not enough motor adjustment. Stormer has a lot of parts I just need to find somewhere to get the other items that will ship in the US.
Congrats on the successful first outing.

I broke one of the damper tubes in the front myself. Fortunately I had time to order spares from Stormer, which is only a few hundred miles away from me. The trick on those is to follow the "pro-tip" in the manual and use the supplied screw and a small bench vise to press the ball-end into the lower arm. You can absolutely run without them and grease the kingpins as you normally would. I'm considering doing this myself to save some weight (probably not even a gram LOL) and frustration as those suckers get caked up with fuzz and foam goo pretty quick. They are a pain to dismantle, clean and reapply lube to as well.
I'm about to place an order from Schumacher directly for some additional spares and items that Stormer isn't stocking. Schumacher is actually a little cheaper than Stormer and the shipping expense from the UK isn't that bad if it's a small package. I'm not sure of shipping speed, but I will keep everyone updated.
I too changed out the spur, but not due to not having enough adjustment in the motor. I switched the supplied Kimbrough over to a Xenon 76t as I prefer the 16-ball spur gear and feel the quality is a bit better. That said, we do run very low roll-outs (70-80mm) for 17.5 due to the extremely small size of our track.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by biz77
You can absolutely run without them and grease the kingpins as you normally would. I'm considering doing this myself to save some weight (probably not even a gram LOL) and frustration as those suckers get caked up with fuzz and foam goo pretty quick. They are a pain to dismantle, clean and reapply lube to as well.
That's one thing where I think I'd prefer something in the style of the Xenon take on the front damper tubes (which looks a lot more accessible):

http://xenon.ocnk.net/product/495
Old 12-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Seriously considering buying one of these early next year for a long term plan to run at our National championships in 2018 (gotta support the home state).

Is this the sort of car that Schumacher will support in the long run or have the simply bling-ed up their GT12 car in an attempt to get a few more sales?

Otherwise everything I've read so far sounds like it might suit me driving style wise and I need to get a bit more focused and serious if I want to not look like a joke at that level of competition.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Seriously considering buying one of these early next year for a long term plan to run at our National championships in 2018 (gotta support the home state).

Is this the sort of car that Schumacher will support in the long run or have the simply bling-ed up their GT12 car in an attempt to get a few more sales?

Otherwise everything I've read so far sounds like it might suit me driving style wise and I need to get a bit more focused and serious if I want to not look like a joke at that level of competition.
Schumacher really look after their customers with long term support, it is one of the reasons I run them. If you look at their website you will see the list of the older cars and all the parts are still available.

In the UK this will be a very popular car for the 1/12 season that is into its second round, I see no reason for this car to fade away anytime soon. Also, Schumacher do not tend to follow an annual release update like some manufacturers where you "need" to have the latest version, more rolling change updates if required - more about refinements etc, that tend to be backwards compatible.

You are correct in that a number of parts seem to be shared by the GT12 and stock cars, again another big class in the UK and so should be well supported.

The support form Schumacher is second to none from my experience.

If you do buy one I would grab a spare set of the front damper tubes, you may break one or two installing them as they are a very tight fit.

HTH
Mark

Last edited by Diggy; 12-05-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diggy
Schumacher really look after their customers with long term support, it is one of the reasons I run them. If you look at their website you will see the list of the older cars and all the parts are still available.

In the UK this will be a very popular car for the 1/12 season that is into its second round, I see no reason for this car to fade away anytime soon. Also, Schumacher do not tend to follow an annual release update like some manufacturers where you "need" to have the latest version, more rolling change updates if required - more about refinements etc, that tend to be backwards compatible.

You are correct in that a number of parts seem to be shared by the GT12 and stock cars, again another big class in the UK and so should be well supported.

The support form Schumacher is second to none from my experience.

If you do buy one I would grab a spare set of the front damper tubes, you may break one or two installing them as they are a very tight fit.

HTH
Mark
I've run Schumacher tc's before and they have always been reliable and well supported... 1/12 is not as popular here as in some countries so buying one is a sure fire way to find out if a company is supportive or not
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, there is not too many of us here either
Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Still haven't placed an order with Schumacher yet so I can't advise on shipping speed to the US.
I'm out of racing for the next ~2 months due to life happening. Our local hot shoe is going to run my car this coming Saturday. We'll see how it does versus his RSD.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you order have them ship using UPS. otherwise it will sit in customs here up to a week. It's worth a few dollars more to get it sooner. I've ordered on Monday and have it on thursday.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

Hi guys, I running the car here in the UK.

My car is down to the 730gram weight limit (725g) +a weight.

I am using the sanwa srg HR servo, black art ba006, hobbywing xr10, Core RC titanium turnbuckles, alloy screws and schumacher lightweight ballstuds for the damper tubes.

With only about half the screws swopped over, I got down to weight, so its not that heavy!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cyclone
Hi guys, I running the car here in the UK.

My car is down to the 730gram weight limit (725g) +a weight.

I am using the sanwa srg HR servo, black art ba006, hobbywing xr10, Core RC titanium turnbuckles, alloy screws and schumacher lightweight ballstuds for the damper tubes.

With only about half the screws swopped over, I got down to weight, so its not that heavy!
Wow! I have some titanium screws that need to go on.

I'm running a pretty heavy servo: Savox SH1257MG. 30grams. I could probably save 7-8 grams going to the Sanwa.

My SMC 1s ESC is 42 grams. I could save ~6 grams with the XR10 Hobbywing.

My SMC 5,800 is pretty light already at 145 grams. The 7,000 in my WGT car is 155 grams by comparison.

My LRP X20 17.5 is 165 grams. I have a Motive 17.5 that is 157 grams, so I could save 8 grams there, but my LRP is a strong runner on our track.

I ran my tires at 42mm front and rear. There are lighter wheels than the CRC's, but it's what we must run.

That's almost 25 grams I could save by running lighter equipment. Think I can save another 25 in titanium bits?

BTW, I don't think the car needs the diet. It's planted and fast even at 780 grams.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds good!

Also I could be wrong but I think the fantom motors I'm running are around 150g, and super fast!

I'm glad your liking the car so far!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Scirocco has the car now. He will be replacing some of the screws with Lunsford bits and I'm sure dialing in a bit more steering. Hopefully I can get him back in here to report his findings after the races Saturday night.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default silly question...

Motor plates look beefy with a large dimension between the spur and motor plate.

Can you get a comfortable grab on the pinion? Doesn't seem there is much motor shaft left.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by celt
Motor plates look beefy with a large dimension between the spur and motor plate.

Can you get a comfortable grab on the pinion? Doesn't seem there is much motor shaft left.
No issues with PRS and CRC pinions here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.