Search

New batteries for stock racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default New batteries for stock racing

Hi all,

Looking to get some new batteries for stock racing. I've heard great things about LRP Lipos so want to bite the bullet and give them a try.

Whats better for stock racing? the 5600 LCG or 7500 stock spec?

Thanks all
Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
I've tried both of the lipos in question in both 17.5 blinky and 13.5 boost stock class. Both are very good. Neither have any issues with run time in my experience, even on large outdoor tracks.
My advice would be, if you are struggling with weight I would always go for the LCG lipos as they weigh less and the weight is lower in the car. I run an Awesomatix which are generally quite light and I have to add weight, so in my case I usually use larger capacity lipos and position them as far to the centre line as I can. I know I'm never ever going to have any issue with voltage drop and I can more easily make the required weight.
In stock racing I find weight is a killer. So use whichever pack gets you to the right weight (even distributed of course).
By the way, I've noticed in your signature you run Silverback products. I am a big fan of the Spiral-X lipo and run a 6200 pack regularly. Very good punchy packs and good low internal resistance.
I usually run my LCG packs by hooking up my icharger to discharge through a resistor bank at a high ampage to about 3.6v then charge at 2-3c to full charge. I've yet to swell or negatively affect either of my packs, so the Lrp's seem quite hard wearing and well made.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Tried the Silverback Spiral R 6000 last night in 1/12 13.5 and went great. Lots of punch. Big weight saving over 8000s too.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would have to agree with the weight comments
With the new weight this yr I'm noticing my xray was a pig with the 325g 8200 packs I was using from EAM. But his packs have held higher voltage than the other packs I've tested so it comes a hard decision . make min weight with lighter battery or have the best battery made in my car .
Now we have Awesomatix cars and it allows us to run the best battery and still make min weight ...
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I run a 7500 mah pack on my A800 comes in at 315 grams, and I have to add 30 grams of ballast on the opposite side as well as a heatsink / fan on the motor, and even with 15 grams down the middle I am just on 1350 all up. The larger packs are great but you need room on the opposite side for weight otherwise balance is an issue.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I didn't. I have NO weight on my A800. But with gravity tires (heavier tires)
RReedy motor.
Car balances out perfect .
Tho I do have a ti/alu screw kit & avid ti ball studs . car comes in @ 1350 perfectly balanced
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For stock classes the general concensus seems to be the higher the mah the better. Each manufacturer usually has different weights at the same advertised mah as well.

My personal thought process is run the largest capacity you can while making weight and the car is still reasonably balanced side to side.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nwagner
For stock classes the general concensus seems to be the higher the mah the better. Each manufacturer usually has different weights at the same advertised mah as well.

My personal thought process is run the largest capacity you can while making weight and the car is still reasonably balanced side to side.
Really, with stock racing it is normally about low ir to give more punch, more mah doesn't matter as you are not using anywhere near the capacity.