Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Rookie

as Long we dont seperate the Profs the Amateurs and the hobby drivers a technical discuss is pointless...

Drivers who win major races in stock since years and didnt even show up at the worlds in Tampa ....shame on u lazy bones!
hope u have it cosy the next years
Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
6.5t with Spec tires
Would the Worlds in China have pulled any more entries this year ?
I think the spec tires would have pulled a few more privateer entries at least. Not sure about the 6.5 limit though.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yonins
as Long we dont seperate the Profs the Amateurs and the hobby drivers a technical discuss is pointless...

Drivers who win major races in stock since years and didnt even show up at the worlds in Tampa ....shame on u lazy bones!
Love that first "hero" post
Really unproductive
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yonins

The thread is about 12th Modified, the F1 class of Indoor RC. If you're not willing to run with the Pro's, Mod 12th is not the place for you.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by miller tyme
The thread is about 12th Modified, the F1 class of Indoor RC. If you're not willing to run with the Pro's, Mod 12th is not the place for you.
This is the thing most everyone on here posting forgets. It is 1/12 MOD, it is suppose to be hard. We needed to make a change as things got out of control, so we did. I am not sure if it is the answer but a change was needed. If R/C racing is a hobby for you, great, enjoy it.
However for most of us running 1/12 MOD it is a sport with very high competition and expectations. Money, time, and travel are usually not a concern, competition and going fast is.

Steve Dunn
Pro One
Old 08-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul

My only fear is that by all accounts, WGT should be more successful than it is given the low tire usage and low maintenence. .
I doubt it's the spec tires. It's probably more the fact that it turned into blob bodies, and pin and steer style driving. I know for a fact that there were hex adapters made to run sedan foams during the testing for the class. The Viper and Corvette bodies on the cars at the nats in Omaha in 2008 were much cooler than what came 6 months later...not to mention the class was hamstrung with the front engine car only body rules. Spec tires is probably the best thing about the class.

I can't see spec tire hurting mod 1/12, it can only go up from where it is at .
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
This is the thing most everyone on here posting forgets. It is 1/12 MOD, it is suppose to be hard. We needed to make a change as things got out of control, so we did. I am not sure if it is the answer but a change was needed. If R/C racing is a hobby for you, great, enjoy it.
However for most of us running 1/12 MOD it is a sport with very high competition and expectations. Money, time, and travel are usually not a concern, competition and going fast is.

Steve Dunn
Pro One
Perhaps this post defines why 12th mod is not popular.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why? Because time, effort, and work is needed to run mod? No, it's not as easy as running 17.5 pinned all the way around the track......you have more power than you know what to do with most all of the lap. While I agree the current speeds of mod 1/12 are stupid fast and maybe a turn limit might slow things down for a short while......dumbing things down so nobody gets their feeling hurt because they don't have those 'special' tires is like getting an ice cream cone even though you lost the game....
Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After all these posts. The most logical imo is a spec tire. Takes all confusion out of it. Motors / power battery should remain

How do the top guys feel about removing boost?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Never going to happen unless all the MFG's agree on a common wheel offset
Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
And that's why they're popular.
In that they are accessible, contrary to 1/12th MOD? Maybe 1/12th is dying because it's an evolutionary dead-end and it will be replaced by the next class?

Originally Posted by gazza
Never going to happen unless all the MFG's agree on a common wheel offset
ROAR mandated a common wheel size and hex size for 1/10th offroad buggies why not doing the same to 1/12th, I think to be a step in the right direction
Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
ROAR mandated a common wheel size and hex size for 1/10th offroad buggies why not doing the same to 1/12th, I think to be a step in the right direction
I'm a big fan of this, although hopefully it wouldn't be ROAR setting the rule. It would be better if it came down from IFMAR, similar to 1/8 buggy tires. I love that they're all the same size and fit everything.

The only factory car with a funky offset AFAIK is the Yokomo, but it's VERY possible I'm wrong. As far as other manufacturers Pro One is the only one producing a different offset, but they aren't publicly available at the moment.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phil Trotta
After all these posts. The most logical imo is a spec tire. Takes all confusion out of it. Motors / power battery should remain

How do the top guys feel about removing boost?
I would agree. A spec tire could make things easier. Removing boost would be unnecessary, I found it to be of limited use in mod club racing and i wouldn't dial it in at an event just because.

I have personally run the CRC purple stripes and they were perfectly fine. Not as fast as blues but still a good drive. My only gripe with them is that the fronts seem to wear out a lot faster than the rears.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yokomo has since gone to a basic offset wheel with the YRX12. Some Japanese manufactures also offer a "USA" spec offset kit. So I really wouldn't be too concerned anymore about the offset issue. Make a rule and they will build something that conforms if they haven't already.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I think full size Formula One is a good example of the dangers of a mod class with zero restrictions, and one with too many restrictions. In the early years you could build your own competitive car and motor and have an honest shot. Technology advanced exponentially, which drove the single chassis private owners out of the series due to development costs. Then the FIA, in an attempt to control costs implemented (IMHO) wayyyyy to many mandates and regulations and now we have these crap sounding turbocharged V-6s with a joke of a hybrid system thrown in to appease the granola mafia idiots of the world... What a waste... Formula 2 has better sounds and racing btw... But I digress...

Anyways my point? Perhaps in an attempt to regrow the mod class you begin with implementing a logical regulation besides what is already there (1/12, 1s, etc) and maybe use a control spec tire like the Green/Blue spec foam combo that many of us already use normally (like what McFactory said earlier here). The biggest barrier to guys entering 1/12 scale competition (whether its a true problem or not) is their perception that the foam tire thing is a little too much like black magic, that's what I've heard anyways, when trying to convert some of my buddies over to the class.

As far as changing motor rules-I think the con of doing that would push too many of the true diehard mod guys out of the class. I think a logical and rational compromise to both the die hard guys and the new guys would be to use a control tire. That is, if you want the class to grow.

Oh yes, and if you can figure out a way to get kids off their butts and away from their Xboxes and Playstations-we probably wouldn't be so concerned with growing the sport, let alone having that conversation "How to grow RC?" which I think has no answer besides just going out and racing and letting the passers by get a glimpse and maybe an interest in the sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.