Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sykemike
Any new updates on diff fluids, motor placement for outdoor track?
That is going to depend on the track dude. There is no magic number for this stuff. If you're going to run 3 degree motor set, I would recommend running heavier center diff fluid, and battery forward. If you're running 0 degree motor setup then you should run forward ESC and 5-5-3 to start with in diff fluids.
3 degree should prolly start at 5-7-3 in my opinion
Old 10-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. Anybody else have suggestions that's running on outdoor track?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
Please share part numbers, rates and what you like in the AE selection.

If anyone has recommendations for alternative springs please share.
I have similar spring weights to kit with AE. Grey Front Truck spring AS91637 4.45lb and Grey Rear 2.6lb AS91641. Running 30/35 wt oil on a very bumpy astro track 3 deg motor and stock diff oils.

Not a massive difference in feel but they are longer so work with the shorter spring cup[ well.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freebird
28?????? thought kit suggested and Mayfield approved was 25-26.
Well our LHS minimum ride height is 28 not everyone local tract are same ride height. I know crazy ride height but nothing we can do we're not owner the track.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sykemike
Thanks for the reply. Anybody else have suggestions that's running on outdoor track?
I like 775 for now, but too early to commit to one wt. My 2.0 likes 773 but lap times are not any different from 573. The gold standard of 553 has worked well everywhere for years. Test them one at a time back to back same day if possible. I have only been able to do that once and it took and entire day to try 3-4 different combos. Takes me at lease one lipo to get a feel for change of diff fluid and temps do matter.
Originally Posted by cutting42
I have similar spring weights to kit with AE. Grey Front Truck spring AS91637 4.45lb and Grey Rear 2.6lb AS91641. Running 30/35 wt oil on a very bumpy astro track 3 deg motor and stock diff oils.

Not a massive difference in feel but they are longer so work with the shorter spring cup[ well.
Win Win. That's as good a place to start as any. Springs ordered. FYI, In the Past many have used Kyosho springs including Maifield on buggy. Thanks

Originally Posted by raved007
Well our LHS minimum ride height is 28 not everyone local tract are same ride height. I know crazy ride height but nothing we can do we're not owner the track.
Longer AE springs might be what you need as well.

FYI, I tested my 2.0 tuning springs. New or like new springs were really close in matched pairs. The older Orange and Silvers had sagged some and had about 1.5mm different length between matched sets. That's normal for 3 year old heavily used springs. Satisfied that the the 2.0 tuning springs are good to go.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WOW! sorry to hear that. Kit setup and spring;imo; thats going to be real hard to achieve. you'll have to research for some taller/longer springs.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Don't think AE spring works i tried using 4mm spring cup i too short in the front can't get the 28mm right height spring colar is all the way down. For rear i use Kyosho super hard spring/red.
AE do 54mm long front springs and 72mm long rear springs in sets. you can use them with the normal shorter spring perches on your front shocks without issues. i have a set of grey front and rear to start testing with.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Great practice day at the track. Testing and trying different lines with long or short pit stops to make changes. Most productive testing I have had in a while.

After every lipo I reset ride height as front, but mostly rear springs seemed to sag and not hold settings. These are brand new TLR springs Purple front and Red rear. However, by resetting ride height I was able to maintain a good enough setting to see great improvements in handling from my other setup changes to move forward. Lap times dropped over a couple seconds and truck was easy to drive fast everywhere. 3.0 truck is finally turning laps as fast as my 2.0 truck which I ran back to back testing.

Backing up a second, I did install the 3.0 front a arms, carriers and hubs on my 2.0 with some much needed bearings. This made the truck turn even better than it did with aluminum 15 degree carriers I was using before. Very aggressive and worked great in the tight turns. May need to take a little of that steering out.

I'm so close to cracking the 3.0 handling for my local track. The only thing holding me back today is a high quality set of springs that will stop changing by the lap. I'm starting to question the diameter of the 22 springs. The damping of the shock seems fine, but these skinny springs seem overwhelmed by this truck. AE springs will be here in a few days, but I'm not sure they will be the final answer. I'm thinking big bore springs will meet the challenge. Nothing smaller than the 2.0 tuning spring diameter. More testing is needed and about $60 in springs and adapter to use them will likely follow.

Anyone test a big bore spring conversion on other rigs?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Spring diam has nothing to do with it. It is material, and coils mean more. Yes larger diam wire will change spring stress some but there is something else going on here. Will chat with Frank about this some. I have been running 22 shocks on my truck for most of the year and have not had ride height issues like you are having at all so it is not diam of springs at all. Also the weight of the truck is not the issue either. The spring can support the weight with rate and stroke or it can't.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default center diff?

hey dudes, hate to bother. on the center diff, are there any shims washers used in between the bearing and diff housing? and on both sides? not shown on the exploided view on the download. I don't have a manual. thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Spring diam has nothing to do with it. It is material, and coils mean more. Yes larger diam wire will change spring stress some but there is something else going on here. Will chat with Frank about this some. I have been running 22 shocks on my truck for most of the year and have not had ride height issues like you are having at all so it is not diam of springs at all. Also the weight of the truck is not the issue either. The spring can support the weight with rate and stroke or it can't.
I too have had this issue on large 1/8th scaled type tracks. Ran mine for its first indoor clay track and the kit setup worked flawlessly. now to go back through the truck and just double check everything. I do think that the kit springs included for the rear are not stable. I did order the LF spring kit for the rear and the optional front spring kit suggested on the TLR site. I did not use them on raceday saturday as it was a new layout and so I just worked on driving and line improvement over messing with setup changing. I did though have to adjust ride height between rounds as something changed. Maybe spring cups? I did lose 2 that fell of shock eyelet somehow. found them; and used small zip ties around the cup and the bottom of the spring to at least tether the spring cup.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SCTE 3.0 Gearing

Hi guys, Ive been running 8ight ebuggies, and 22t's... Recently just assmebled a SCTE 3.0, hands down a great car. Love it, but on my track we race SC 4x4 on 3 cells and ive been having problems with gearing I think, maybe you can help me out on this.

I am running a 3800kv Castle Creation motor, with a mamba max SC ESC. Using the stock spur with a mod 1 14t piņion gear.

The battery is a 3cell 5000mah 30c.

I am getting less than a 5 min runtime, and maybe, just maybe ruining batteries. Is it the gearing that is all wrong, or might it be something with the esc setup?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Guys I don't recommend the LF spring kit for this truck. I am not sure any of them are of sufficient spring rate for this truck. We are normally quite a bit higher then what the LF kit supplies as those springs are all bunched pretty close around the Std "yellow" spring.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 350lt1
Hi guys, Ive been running 8ight ebuggies, and 22t's... Recently just assmebled a SCTE 3.0, hands down a great car. Love it, but on my track we race SC 4x4 on 3 cells and ive been having problems with gearing I think, maybe you can help me out on this.

I am running a 3800kv Castle Creation motor, with a mamba max SC ESC. Using the stock spur with a mod 1 14t piņion gear.

I am getting less than a 5 min runtime, and maybe, just maybe ruining batteries. Is it the gearing that is all wrong, or might it be something with the esc setup?
Never even attempted 3S in this truck however you should be getting much better runtime then that.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 350lt1

Dude - your geared for close to 60mph with that motor on 3s and a 14t pinion. Try a 10 or 11 t pinion . That will gear you around 40mph and allow that thing to be more efficient. A 30c pack in a sc truck is not the best choice , but with the increased voltage it may be ok . Have you puffed a pack open yet ? I have personally always geared my E kits for the 40mph mark and had good luck with it . I doubt you will actually need more speed than that .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.