Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Is the ANYthing in the pipeline that will drop right in a touring car (or any offroad) car that ONLY has battery cutouts? The current packs can be rigged to fit, but that's not always the best (or safest) way to go. We have some RDX's and ZX-5's (aftermarket chassis) that are screaming out for a lipo pack that fits correctly.
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
But we will have another Platinum version within the next month.
That is all I can say

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 05-08-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

That is all I can say
Faster, Rick, faster!

Outdoor mod TC starts here in a couple weeks.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem is that when you add scallops, the overall height of the pack makes it impossible to fit in off road cars that do not have battery slots. Since the battery is not legal, we figured it best to go for the off-road fit rather than release two separate packs. But we will have another Platinum version within the next month.
Rick, that is great news, I hope you had some input with Orion to design this next pack to fit the Tamiya 415MSX.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hopefully the internals will be the same as the current version and that the new casing will be sold by itself so that I/everyone can update if I decide to.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Rick, that is great news, I hope you had some input with Orion to design this next pack to fit the Tamiya 415MSX.
Unfortunately, the design of the MSX will probably prevent any LiPo from ever fitting. The problem is the rear bulkhead and the fact that is is contoured to conform to the shape of an individual cell. There will not be enough room unless the bulkhead itself is modified. Even so it will be a tight fit.

I run an MSX so I feel your pain

Every manufacturer with a car that does not allow the installation of the Platinum has asked for samples so that future design will make installation easy with no modifications.

The fact is that LiPos are being used now. Manufacturers will not risk losing sales to their competitors because better technology doesn't work in their car.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Hopefully the internals will be the same as the current version and that the new casing will be sold by itself so that I/everyone can update if I decide to.
This will not be possible with the next version. It is different in a way I can't discuss yet. But feel that it could be more user friendly and more acceptable to clubs/track/racing organizations when considerting their use in competition.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

That is all I can say
Ohhhhh
can`t wait
Old 05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This will not be possible with the next version. It is different in a way I can't discuss yet. But feel that it could be more user friendly and more acceptable to clubs/track/racing organizations when considerting their use in competition.
Juicy info.

Can't wait to get the official word from you guys and see some pics.

As much as I want the new one, you guys take your time and get it right. You've done great with the current version and I'm sure the new one will be just as good if not better.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Rick,

Tamiya has a 415MSX Stick Pack conversion kit part no. 48385, that comes with a new lower deck, and it looks like a new right-side rear bulkhead that is designed for the stick pack. My question, have you seen this kit, and would it work with the Orion lipo? Appreciate any knowledge you can share.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Rick,

Tamiya has a 415MSX Stick Pack conversion kit part no. 48385, that comes with a new lower deck, and it looks like a new right-side rear bulkhead that is designed for the stick pack. My question, have you seen this kit, and would it work with the Orion lipo? Appreciate any knowledge you can share.
Actually, it looks like the number is 49385
Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Rick,

This is the first time I have seen this conversion. Since the Platinum is no wider and no taller than a stick pack, it should work. I can't tell how the ends are retained though. If there are just stops at each end and each side, and a top plate to hold it down, it should work!

It looks like to could also probably adapt this conversion into something that allow pretty quick battery changed. 30 minute electric mains

I am ordering one today!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

This is the first time I have seen this conversion. Since the Platinum is no wider and no taller than a stick pack, it should work. I can't tell how the ends are retained though. If there are just stops at each end and each side, and a top plate to hold it down, it should work!

It looks like to could also probably adapt this conversion into something that allow pretty quick battery changed. 30 minute electric mains

I am ordering one today!
Thanks Rick, I am going to order mine today also, be curious to get your feedback on any handling changes do to the reconfiguration of the chassis bracing. I'll post my findings after the Reedy Race.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

It looks like there are two holders that run the lenght of the pack on each side, countoured to the rounded shape of a stick pack. I think these can be modified easily to accept the square edges of the LiPo. The may be able to just be reversed.

But the main problem has been addressed (bulkhead) with the new parts and by moving the battery forward slightly.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xray should issue a similar kit for the T2 at least a new LiPo compatible rear right bulkhead...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cvt01
Xray should issue a similar kit for the T2 at least a new LiPo compatible rear right bulkhead...
This is why Tamiya is the current World Champion TC Builder - they are always thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.