Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Perfectly normal with the Ice.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I charge mine at 4.8 as well. They never get more than barely warm. I'm talking just barely noticable.
You can charge the Platinum packs A LOT higher than 4.8A
Old 04-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
You can charge the Platinum packs A LOT higher than 4.8A
Yeah, I saw Car Action mentioning some pretty high numbers in their article about the packs.

But theres two things...

1. I want my pack to last as long as possible. So I figure, if I have the time to charge them at the recommended 4.8a, why push it.

2. I'm trying to show some of the HIGHLY misinformed people locally that these packs are safe and reliable. So I'm not trying to push mine to the limit.

And I think that if we all want these packs to become more common, we should all hold off on pushing them in the charging department. Cause we all know, all it would take is ONE damaged Orion LiPo, to reinforce all those rumors that I'm sure we all hear at the track every time we run our packs.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I actually put a skull and crossbones decal on my body as a joke No one else gets it, but me and my racing bud who use li-po, since we always read thoretical stories on how li-po's will start a small thermo-nuclear reaction. So far I'm happy to report no hair loss, or burnt skin, however I have gained a few pounds, not sure if its the li-po or the cheesburgers.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

rcdougie - Thanks, I wanted to make sure I was not messing something up.. I did mess up a couple of packs when I started in R/C.

I agree, showing people that these are safe and following the instructions is the right way to start with them... ;-)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbipro
I actually put a skull and crossbones decal on my body as a joke No one else gets it, but me and my racing bud who use li-po, since we always read thoretical stories on how li-po's will start a small thermo-nuclear reaction. So far I'm happy to report no hair loss, or burnt skin, however I have gained a few pounds, not sure if its the li-po or the cheesburgers.
Almost the same here.

I've gone to refering to mine as "the flaming death pack".
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

The charging method is CC/CV Constant Current / Constant Voltage. It means when the selected current (4,8A) is starting to charge, it will not put more then 4,8A until it reach 8,4V. Then it will go through constant voltage and maintain 8,4V until the amps goes down to almost 0A. Then the charge will stop.

It is normal to see the amps going down after you have reached 8,4 Volts.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm considering to buy one of those. My concern right now is the polarity issue.
It seems on the pictures that both the + and the - side have the same connector. How do you guys avoid to connect it to the speedo reversed?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cvt01
I'm considering to buy one of those. My concern right now is the polarity issue.
It seems on the pictures that both the + and the - side have the same connector. How do you guys avoid to connect it to the speedo reversed?
I don't mean this in an arrogant way....if you just pay attention to what you are doing its not an issue.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Its basically the same as any normal Nimh packs using Corally connectors. They actually come with Tamiya style plug which can be replaced by Deans if thats what your after.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

So what about saddle pack cars? Sure none of the current top cars run saddles anymore but there is still pan car and some of us running older cars. What happens when the touring car trends go back to balanced cars and saddle config. Will there be an orion saddle lipo? Right now i could just use 2 smaller packs..
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Might be worth sending an email direct to Team Orion regarding your question. I would consider upgrading my car before even thinking of buy a $140+ pack
Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I do the converstion... changed the Tamiya style plug with a Deans.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I don't mean this in an arrogant way....if you just pay attention to what you are doing its not an issue.
On a club race I'm always in the hurry and anything can happen to me (once I wanted to try an adjustment real quick between two runs so I rushed out of the pit, threw down my car run up to the stand only to realyze that I have only three wheels on the car ).
So foolproofed design is for me... maybe because of my background (automotive mass production) maybe because I'm a mess.
I use corally type plugs but the "mother" on the (+) and the "father" on the (-) side so it cannot be connected in reverse. I don't even think about soldering packs...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by cvt01
On a club race I'm always in the hurry and anything can happen to me (once I wanted to try an adjustment real quick between two runs so I rushed out of the pit, threw down my car run up to the stand only to realyze that I have only three wheels on the car ).
So foolproofed design is for me... maybe because of my background (automotive mass production) maybe because I'm a mess.
I use corally type plugs but the "mother" on the (+) and the "father" on the (-) side so it cannot be connected in reverse. I don't even think about soldering packs...
this is why i say only experience racers use these li-po`s

Adrian i can see he`s point though
if you connect up the pack the wrong way the speedo up in smoke would be the least of he`s worry`s , the whole car will go
you don`t get a second chance with these li-po`s , you do with c-cells odd spark then it slowly (compared to li-po) get`s fizzing, li-po`s will go `BANG` ,so much more power in them li-po`s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.