Wiki Posts
Search

Why touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Shoot, I guess I own an appology to the parking lot racers. I've never really seen 12th scale happen on asphalt...I guess it can be done but it'd be harder
Unless the lot is a complete bag of @$$, the 12th scale cars will still be faster, but it is more difficult to drive.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Well, personally, i think BlackKat should keep his trap shut as most of what he says is, well... bullshit to be honest.

**And breathe**
TAAADAAAAA!!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!! DING, DING, DING!!!!!!!

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel.......would 1/12 suck if all of us "rich" (LMAO) towers raced it with you??????? WAAAAAAA They run two stage tires and I can only afford regular tires, WAAAAAAA they have better batteries and motors than I do, WAAAAAAA they are always at the track practicing and I can only get to the track once a week, WAAAAAAAA, WAAAAAAAAA,WAAAAAAA.......

Sorry, I was once JUST LIKE YOU! I had no money and I could not compete with my "rich" peers. You know, after it just became a toy to me I really started enjoying myself. Like I've told you in person, you take this toy car racing thing waaaaaay to seriously.......

Just enjoy the time you get to spend with your Dad at the track. He won't be around for ever you know....enjoy it while you can! This is where the importance of the BLACK KAT RACING TEAM comes in. Enjoy what you have even if it does not seem like you have a lot. There are others out there that are very envious of what you have......

He is very proud of your improvements over the last season. I know, I have talked to him. See ya at the track if I get a chance.....tell your ol' man I said HI!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FrankW
"why race TC's when you can race Pancars?"

Each time I read that sentance it just sounds more and more idiotic (no offence). I race both and I enjoy both.

Why race NASCAR when you can race Formula one?
Why race Funny Cars when you can race go karts?
Why run a marathon when you can sprint?
Why ski cross country when you can ski downhill?
Why knit when you can crochet?

Because you want to. Because it's what you enjoy...

-Frank

This time last year, I could afford to buy all the latest *stuff*, while slapping too many walls too hard. But it was fun being able to learn, regardless of the $$$. Six months ago, I had been out of work for 5 months and didn't have hardly a dime. But is was still fun and I was able to drive much better, brake less things and EBAY off all the excess *stuff* I had accumulated last year in order to pay for tires, cleaner and such. Now, I have a job and I'm able to spend more money on new *stuff* again, albeit I understand where to spend the money a bit better now. And I'm still havin fun...

...even after a DNF in the main.

I have to admit that helping the new guys out at the track to improve their consistency and lap times by more than 1 second from the 1st qualifier, to the main is very rewarding as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Unless the lot is a complete bag of @$$, the 12th scale cars will still be faster, but it is more difficult to drive.
There are many permanent TC tracks that cannot host 1/12th cars. Any dip or bump will toss the cars around. Since they don't have efficient front suspension, they can't run on the surfaces that TC can. That's what makes TC's so much easier b/c they can run on anything asphalt.

Last edited by ChadCapece; 12-13-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

TC look like scaled cars especially tamiya. Even the chassis has nice blings. Pan cars look awful like slot cars. Never appreciated the looks even 15 years ago. But if they were widely available I would try it same as when I tried tamiya f103 lemans cars. Just the tires were more expensive than standard tc cars and wear faster so I sold that direct drive. But it was fun to drive. Hoping tamiya fully supports the new tc direct drive. That I'm hoping would be cheap and ballistic on the straight.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Well, personally, i think BlackKat should keep his trap shut as most of what he says is, well... bullshit to be honest.
I try to provoke thought, I also try to get people to open their eyes and look at the options availible even if they know they don't want to change. They should know of other options that are availible. I'm not telling anyone to to anything, I'm implying that if you like what I post, follow the path I do.

You come off rather bigoted and big headed. You might be a cool person in person but its hard to get a good impression of some on the 'net. Without controversy spurred of radical opinions, how else would you get your grumpiness out? Even if you don't agree, I ask you to admit that I atleast have my points.

I don't stay quiet, I convey what I think when I see fit. What are you gonna do about it, try and get me to conform?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
There are many permanent TC tracks that cannot host 1/12th cars. Any dip or bump will toss the cars around. Since they don't have efficient front suspension, they can't run on the surfaces that TC can. That's what makes TC's so much easier b/c they can run on anything asphalt.
Actually I've run 12th scale on lots alot of people wouldn't run tc's on, and they work just fine. The efficiency of the front suspension isn't the issue. Both popular front-ends handle bumps and dips fairly well, the key is the rear suspension, and some cars can cut it and some can't. On any surface worth racing any ON-ROAD car on, a 12th scaler will work just raise the rideheight to 4.5 mm and let 'er eat. You won't scratch your 12th scaler up any worse than your TC. Maybe I'm a purist, but if it's way too rough for 12th scale, it's way too rough to drop a $350+ TC on as well.

The biggest obstacle facing 12th scalers outside is the level of traction, but yet again, that can be overcome with smooth driving and set-up adjustments.

AND, I'm in no way bashing TC's, I run both classes. I just get fed-up with listening to touring guys say you can't run 12th scalers on asphalt.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

BlackKat - This is why I race offroad instead.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

I understand there are many reasons why TC is more popular. But i don't understand why people say you can't run/race 12th on asphalt?
We race mod 12th here on an asphalt outdoor track (no traction compound of any sort allowed) and guess what? My car handles a lot better there than at our indoor carpet track.
And our outdoor track isn't really that smooth as well as it's just part of a big carpark.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
BlackKat - This is why I race offroad instead.
Not an option around here
Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Why Touring Car?......You ask!........Well for me it is all about the competition!............Touring car is the most competetive class and I want to race the class that has the most competition! Off road use to be like Touring Car is now, about ten years ago..........just my two cents..........
Old 12-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yellow15
I understand there are many reasons why TC is more popular. But i don't understand why people say you can't run/race 12th on asphalt?
We race mod 12th here on an asphalt outdoor track (no traction compound of any sort allowed) and guess what? My car handles a lot better there than at our indoor carpet track.
And our outdoor track isn't really that smooth as well as it's just part of a big carpark.
Errrrr, I know you are our local 1/12 Mr enthusiasm, but our track is a billiard table compared to most.... Try running 1/12 at Hamilton or even Taranaki and You'll see why.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hodapp
Why Touring Car?......You ask!........Well for me it is all about the competition!............Touring car is the most competetive class and I want to race the class that has the most competition! Off road use to be like Touring Car is now, about ten years ago..........just my two cents..........
C'mon Greg! More people doesn't mean more it's more competitive! The gap from 1st to 10th in 12th stock wasn't any bigger than the gap from 1st-10th in TC stock in Cleveland. Same thing for both Modified classes w/ the exception of Dumas.

Both classes are great, I really enjoy racing both, but if I had to pick one, it'd damn sure be 12th scale.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
C'mon Greg! More people doesn't mean more it's more competitive! The gap from 1st to 10th in 12th stock wasn't any bigger than the gap from 1st-10th in TC stock in Cleveland. Same thing for both Modified classes w/ the exception of Dumas.

Both classes are great, I really enjoy racing both, but if I had to pick one, it'd damn sure be 12th scale.
I was talking about the difference between off road and on road...........it is WAY!!!! harder to win a Modified Touring Car race then it is to win a Modified Off Road race.......Trust!!!!

I guess I kinda overlooked the comparison between 1/12th and Touring Car...........my bad..........I kinda jumped in to this topic without addressing the real question.........but I would still take Touring Car over 1/12th scale.........more top level drivers competing in Touring Car.............
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 AM
B-B
Tech Initiate

Dan, Art hit it right on the head. Just enjoy what you have going when you and your dad are at the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.