Looks great!
Very clean job.
congrats.
--Glenn
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 AM
abi
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by authorjim
Thanks, that's what I was trying to do with the bigger spur. Any reason to use the smaller pinion instead?

I believe it has a 51/20 stock for a 2.55 ratio. I was going to go all the way to a 52/19 for 2.74 ratio or maybe even more 52/18 for a 2.89 ratio. I know the spread to second is big but the engine seems to wind well and the track has only one good straight away. What are your thoughts?
What type of two speed is in this car. Is it a pawl or a clutch type?

How about replacement tires, what brand and where to get them, both rubber and foam.

Thanks
Jim
It will depend on your track layout but for my tight, low grip track I run the 18/51 1st and 24/46 2nd, the SH will not bog on the shift with these gears. Tyres can be had from any hobby store.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default G4S gearing

Originally Posted by abi
It will depend on your track layout but for my tight, low grip track I run the 18/51 1st and 24/46 2nd, the SH will not bog on the shift with these gears. Tyres can be had from any hobby store.
Thanks Abi. That is almost the same gear ratios that I was looking at.

The reason I was asking about tires is that I am a bit of a stylist. I want good foam tires but I want them on nice chrome wheels.

I have both 190mm bodies and 200 mm bodies. So I could use 30 mm tires on 0 offset rims for the back of the 190 car or 6mm offset wheels with 3mm offset rims for the 200 mm bodies. Where can i get such wheels and the tires for them?

Jim
Old 10-18-2009, 04:26 AM
abi
Tech Adept

Thanks Abi. That is almost the same gear ratios that I was looking at.

The reason I was asking about tires is that I am a bit of a stylist. I want good foam tires but I want them on nice chrome wheels.

I have both 190mm bodies and 200 mm bodies. So I could use 30 mm tires on 0 offset rims for the back of the 190 car or 6mm offset wheels with 3mm offset rims for the 200 mm bodies. Where can i get such wheels and the tires for them?

Jim
err..... hmmmm... actually I have not yet seen chrome wheels on a nitro 1/10 scale before.

With the bodies, a guy tried 190mm bodies on his 200mm car at my club with little joy, went back to a 200mm body the next week. Thing is the tyres rub badly unless you do the surgery to narrow the car ie file back the wishbone ends and shorten the ball studs etc.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default I'm not nuts, I just seem that way.

Originally Posted by abi
err..... hmmmm... actually I have not yet seen chrome wheels on a nitro 1/10 scale before.

With the bodies, a guy tried 190mm bodies on his 200mm car at my club with little joy, went back to a 200mm body the next week. Thing is the tyres rub badly unless you do the surgery to narrow the car ie file back the wishbone ends and shorten the ball studs etc.
I can tell by your errrr--- hmmmmm that you think I'm a bit nuts. I bought some beautiful bodies for the car and plan on painting them very nice this winter. I just thought if somebody had nice chrome wheels that I could mount good tires on, I would have speed and style.

I've done this on my DM1 and my GT2 without compromising performance.

Irrelevant of the wheels, what's a good brand of tire and where to get them.

Thanks for the patience
Jim
Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default Getting out of rc

Hey fellow G4 racers.

I used to post here many times a couple years back but now I'm moving on to rc planes. After two kids, don't have much time to spend weekends at the track. I thought I'g give you first crack at some of the items I'm selling:

-IDM Evo3 (Picco JL) - 1 gallon thru, still tight pinch and very fast, 6 minute run time. - $100

-VR12+ 1/10 exhaust almost new - $20

-Futaba 9951 low profile digital coreless servo for steering (open box but brand new and never used) - retails for $85, selling for $55

-Futaba 9550 low profiel servo digital coreless for steering - used in good condition - $40

-Airtronics 94757 high speed digital servo - $45

-AMB transponder - $60

-Spektrum Pro Reciever - $45

-Ofna Starter box for 1/10, 1/8 with 5000mah 4cell lipo, 14.8V, ligh weight, front panel attached igniter - $50

I take paypal. Shipping is $5 for USA, $13 international.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got around to further running in my HN engine today, although I may have run the top end needle a bit lean, hopefully not too bad at only 50% throttle, this new 8% oil fuel makes very little visible smoke (I have trouble seeing it), so makes it harder to notice when you may be lean (car still felt plenty rich).

Can't do any more running in under the house, it's just picking up way too much speed now, and on the dusty concrete the grip is horrible, with not enough room for more sustained throttle now, but it should be ok for Friday afternoon/night at Brendale.

Nice prices dnitro, kind of a shame I'm broke for the next two weeks, spending high on my G4JS, and then just today had to spend some ouch money on my espresso machine, I hate when stuff breaks...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I can tell by your errrr--- hmmmmm that you think I'm a bit nuts. I bought some beautiful bodies for the car and plan on painting them very nice this winter. I just thought if somebody had nice chrome wheels that I could mount good tires on, I would have speed and style.

I've done this on my DM1 and my GT2 without compromising performance.

Irrelevant of the wheels, what's a good brand of tire and where to get them.

Thanks for the patience
Jim

Foam tyres will definately handle better than rubber tyres on a G4 so i would buy some cool looking rims for photos etc and then use the foam tyres when you run the car, especially if it isn't a preped track.

Try kawaharas or ATS or Ennetti foam tyres or there are some chrome plated rubber tyres made by Ansmann or even venom have some i think. They can be found at pretty much any good hobby shop or probably any on line shop.

Hope this helps you
Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Big thumbs up to rcmanufactory.com, less than a day to get my order shipped, and it showed up in 7 days, fastest I have ever gotten anything out of HK, prices and range are also fantastic for TM parts.

Also, on the issue of my engine fitting issues...

Now fixed...

The design of the carbon bracket is so obviously made to fix this issue, I'm not sure why TM don't or have not changed the alloy part, it's lucky that version of the carbon plate in not expensive, but still if I were sticking with the alloy I'd be grinding it out and living with the extra flex created.

Got a few other nice bits, some fitted and others after I see how well it goes pure JS spec, not so sure I'll get to the track now, feel like been backed over by a truck today.

Last edited by Bishop; 10-22-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

G4JS got raced last night, I thought it did very well, for something almost stock right out the box it was very hooked up, 40 shore front and rear, lots of grip going into and coming out of corners, really easy car to drive.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Bishop:

Hey Dude... Good to see you got the G4JS up and going, it sounds like you had a good run!

One question, how did you attach the centre body post on the JS? I've looked at it before, but can't remember what was in the a way of mounting the screw on the standard plastic brace.

I have finally finished my G4JR after my Bathurst trip and then with being home sick with a stomach bug for the last two days. Will see if i can get down to Wynnum this Saturday night for a run!

BB

Last edited by Bundy_Bear; 10-26-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Grammer:(
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Wynnum

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Bishop:

Hey Dude... Good to see you got the G4JS up and going, it sounds like you had a good run!

One question, how did you attach the centre body post on the JS? I've looked at it before, but can't remember what was in the a way of mounting the screw on the standard plastic brace.

I have finally finished my G4JR after my Bathurst trip with being home sick with a stomach bug for the last two days. Will see if i can get down to Wynnum this Saturday night for a run!

BB
Huge meeting with lots of top tourer drivers... see you there?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Huge meeting with lots of top tourer drivers... see you there?
Blis:

Yeah sounds good... Will have to see how i feel i guess. Do you know what time it kicks off?

BB
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey fellas, I've got a G4S that's been upgraded with the ED transmission and flying wing arms, and I'm wanting to swap over to a front diff and the speed shot front end as cheaply as possible. I already have a few spare rear diffs, so I have the gears, seals, and outdrives that I need. I plan on placing the following order with RCManufactory today, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not leaving anything out-

Part # Description
502115 G4 Diff Case (2) Diff Case Cover (1) & Gasket (2)
502318 G4RS Front Diff Pulley 30T
502341 G4JS Front X Plate
K14124-1 G4 Speed Shot Nylon Bulkhead
K14124-5 G4 Speed Shot Spacer (4)
K14124-6 G4 Speed Shot Nylon Bracket

For the front fuel tank mount, I plan on just heating up and bending a small peice of kydex to mount the front post to. Will the older G4S shock tower will fit on the new front bulkheads, or will I need to order a front tower too? So far this all comes out to around $40-50 shipped, which is half the cost of the aluminum/carbon speed shot front end..
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
4 screws to remove front diff cover/suspension mounting, pivot that forward and then pull the 4 screws that hold the cross brace in place, it then comes out, and you have the flush mount hole under for a screw to hold the 5th post.

I'm looking forward to the next Friday night, although I really will need to borrow a truer though before that, I got lucky on my first night, new rear tyres and used fronts gave me just the right gearing, pure luck there, also looking to start leaning out the new engine to get some speed now that it's run in enough to do so.

Brendale is so dusty right now, only part of Nitro I'm not so keen on all the time, the cleaning, fuel and dust makes a right mess, I get the urge to totally strip the car for cleaning whenever it gets dirty, but right now it needs to come apart anyway, I have new slightly better servos to fit, and the sway bars.

Also minor weirdness I discovered the day after my run, the self tapping screws do suck, on checking like every single one had backed off, yet the onces that had been replaced with machine screws were all fine, so a bulk order of hex screws from Tony's Screws in now high on the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.