Wiki Posts
Search

Using comm cutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Using comm cutter

I am new to rc car racing and I just bought a comm cutter. I understand the jist of it. The only thing I have questions on is how many volts do you suggest I run to the motor turning the armature. Also what does zapping the engine mean? Finally how do I break the engine in with new brushes?
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

i usally cut a comm at 2.5 volts, In my poinion any faster and copper flakes end up every where

zapping the can is remagnetizing the can, at times giving more power. poor analogy, it's like recharging the magnet power which you might have lost over time.

breaking in motors... everyone has a different way so get ready to take notes. I use a fan a 2volts for about 2 min after that i relube and race

good luck with the cutter
Old 11-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

what exactly do you mean use a fan?
do you mean hook a prop to the end and run it or what?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

exactally it a little plactic fan (like a prop) pushed on the armature. when the motor is running it adds a little resistance and cools the motor at the same time
Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Okay, this is what I imagined. It's similar to breaking in a nitro on a bench.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

i personally don't use a fan, especially during the first minute or so. too much arching.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

After cutting the comm i like to clean the slots with an exacto knife to get any copper cuttings out. Then i take a ball point pen and run it along or in the slots to help round out the slots.
What motor are you going to be breaking in anyways? I usually break my motors in at 2.0 volts for about 5 minutes. That with a fan on. I also lube the bushings before i break it in and about half way i put a little more lube. Some guys at my track break in their 19T motors with silver brushes at 1 volt for about 10 minutes.
You want to break in the motor enough to set the brushes in place and get rid of minimal arching. People have many different ways on how they do things, which means you will get different replies.
I hope this helps you out. Good luck racing.

Chris
Old 11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

I am doing this on a 19t motor. That makes sense with the fan. So you guys normally build a stand to break in the engine then? Now that I know what zapping means, how do you do it? Thanks for all your guys help. I appreciate it. And Alberto, the comm cutter is working great so far! Took me awhile to get used to it, but it is awesome!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

in order to zap the motor (not engine), you gotta have a magnet zapper. what it does is it zaps the magnet with a high voltage to recharge the magnetic field. the stronger the magnet, the powerful the motor.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

zapping is done with a large $500 machine lol you few people have them. as for the motor stand rpm has one for like 10 or 20 bucks like this
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

JESUS! That is way out of my price range to zap my can then! Is it really that necessary to zap the can? That noticable? Thanks for the link for the stand
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Well you can build a meter to read the magnetizum of the can. It's called a GAUST METER (might be spelled wrong) anyway that can be built from a multi meter for a couple of bucks. In my opinion most new motors dont really need to be zapped . and it takes a while for an old motor to lose it magnetic field. By all means it's nice to have but not needed.. I rather give someone a few buck and have it done when needed.

zapper
Old 11-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

ok... good to know. But, how do you tell when your loosing your magnets and you nned to zap them? Sounds like it would be easier to buy a new motor for $30 instead, but for curiousity sake would be nice to know. thanks!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by miniczar
ok... good to know. But, how do you tell when your loosing your magnets and you nned to zap them? Sounds like it would be easier to buy a new motor for $30 instead, but for curiousity sake would be nice to know. thanks!
with a gauss meter. ( spelled correctly lol )

Old 11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry, I didnt clarify, is that the only way to tell, or is it noticable with the motors performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.