Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SRAD
Now that's what I'm talking about. Robbie and Mike.....you don't know me by name but I have been racing 1/8 at Greater LA...ProCar West....CP....and almost all the Vegas races since 1993. I race at CP when I get the chance and if not working and you would recognize me by sight and not by name. I am in on the stock motor class. I have been pretty much running this class/type motors anyway for years. I need to know exactly what engines fall into this category if you know right off hand. I would guess you might see a few cars that are collecting dust on the shelf come out of retirement!! Let's give this a chance and if it fails...then so be it. Then we can say we tried.
Hey SRAD,
Any stock 5 port off road engine will be allowed for this class. We are going to see how it go's and go from there.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

what about pull starts
Old 08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mike jones
what about pull starts
Go ahead and run it Mike Jones! Just make sure it is a five port! What car are you going to put it in?????
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

my mrx4 that going to b a sick combo a 1/8th scale with a pull start
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

my bad, Davids mrx4
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

my mrx4 that going to b a sick combo a 1/8th scale with a pull start
Who are you going to borrow the car from????
Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

i'll just put it in my mrx3 oooooh my bad thats not mine either
Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Maybe they should invest in the new RB S7C II with pipe for a spec engine. I originally was going to get one, but the guy told me it was eh...just a lil slow. Otherwise it was relaible. I got the TOP instead. Outdated, but still fast and only costed me $250 (package discount).
Old 08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

mike why u always trying to clown, just because i borrow cars it nothing to make fun of
Old 08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

mike why u always trying to clown, just because i borrow cars it nothing to make fun of
Sorry Mike!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

thank u
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If someone let you borrow a car, doesn't it means that you are a resposible person? Or is there something else?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As you are aware from being involved with the SCCA, some of the most competitive and affordable racing never receives national championship status. They are regional events only. This same thought should be appplied to the 'spec 1/8th racing'.

ROAR needs to/can/should provide a platform that racers can enjoy the class without breaking the bank on overpriced engines. It is easy, the rules are already written, just need to add a chapter for spec racing then add a paragraph for whatever the engine rule turns out to be.

There are many racers in my area that have stopped running 1.8th altogether. The engines have forced them out. Not because of the price - - but because every Tom Dick and Harry runs out to buy the latest gizllion port super trick modified running at 50k ropm with 10bhp. They rail down the track smashing everything in site. - - -- - -- - - - fbeing a victim to this is not the way the weekend warrior club race wants to spend the weekend.

So, if ROAR were to give a platform, for a control spec type racing, I think the enrolment at the local level for 1.8th onroad would increase.....it would bring me back.

As a sideline to this, ROAR is always trying to tout that cost control is an the agenda. Well, now it the time.

Originally Posted by wagnerov
Carl,

Forgive me for asking, just being the devil's advocate:

How is this proposed spec class supposed to grow 1/8th scale? All I am seeing proposed would divide what few drivers the class has already. Which, as I pointed out, should be done with driver ability without equipment differences, and only on a local level. You, yourself, just said "no one who has ton of Mugen or Serpent parts will invest in" the new class if there is a spec car (I don't think there should be a spec car or class, to set the record straight), etc....that quote implies the entries would come from people who have a 1/8th car already. And that means they probably have an engine that wouldn't be legal for this spec class, too....another $275 would need to be spent, using your engine as an example. I suppose that is good for driver retention in some ways.

Should sponsored drivers like yourself be running this class after it gets off the ground? How would the new people that this class is supposedly targeting like that? Once again, we should go back to having a separate, local-only, sportsman-driver class with the same rules as expert.

From Jamie: "We all know that skill overcomes $$$ most of the time." So why does there need to be another class? Does everyone need to be a winner in order to stay in the hobby? Granted, it's nice to be competitive. But most club races that I have been to only have a handful of national-level drivers, if any at all. The superior equipment you might have or the money you've spent does not guarantee an A-Main spot.

Hence, dumbing-down and dividing 1/8 with engine restrictions is bad. These kinds of things worked great for 235's (insert sarcasm here), although there were multiple factors that 1/8 doesn't have to face today.

Next thing you know, we'll have a 3-port class for 1/8 buggy, Pullstart-class for Monster Trucks, Side-exhaust class for 1/10 trucks, etc. In 2008, ROAR will have 206 national champions crowned.

I've said my last piece. Thanks and good luck with the new class. If it takes off, I'll stick my foot in my mouth.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Guys didn't stop running mod because of the cost of the motors...they got tired of replacing half the front of the car every time they crashed.
EXCATLY!!!!! The reason why the guy who is not interested in running his car into the ground should have the opportunity to stay way from the guy that cant handle the power. LIMRA is a perfect example of this.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Re: CP toys for tots. I'm glad someone is willing to try this out even though it is still unproven. I can't speak for everyone but i will be joining this race on december.

Also thanks to Robbie C. and Mike S. for supporting a class the would allow a lower cost of racing for the Club racers and making the rules simple, 5 port and store price limit on engines so it is practical to get it started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.