Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes but even if the arms are being held up that would cause the ride height to be lower. If the arms are lower, that causes the ride height to be higher... right?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Unscrew the lower shock eyelets a couple turns. My shocks have about 2.5 threads of the shock shaft showing.
This solved the problem, at least mostly. I can't go below 5mm now. That's ok because I don't want to go below 5mm, but at least I have that.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nubs
Yes but even if the arms are being held up that would cause the ride height to be lower. If the arms are lower, that causes the ride height to be higher... right?
By saying that then you are still trying to use droop to limit ride height. That is causing the problems...

When the car is off the ground then the arms must be able to naturally angle down slightly or at least be level (droop).

When the car is on the ground then the arms should angle up slightly- that sets ride height, not droop. The springs must set the ride height, not the droop screws. Springs are too long if you can't get down to 5mm by adjusting the collar.

Time to take your car to the local track and get the local pro to help set up that ride height and droop
Old 07-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

This solved the problem, at least mostly. I can't go below 5mm now. That's ok because I don't want to go below 5mm, but at least I have that.
Again- unthreading the shock bottom is for droop only. If you used this to affect the ride height then it's still not right...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

The track is open tomorrow. I'll have Brian take a look if he is there
Old 07-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

CORRECT.... You should also have zero preload on the springs at full droop at all times: you should see a little up and down play in your springs at full droop...
Originally Posted by MikeR
By saying that then you are still trying to use droop to limit ride height. That is causing the problems...

When the car is off the ground then the arms must be able to naturally angle down slightly or at least be level (droop).

When the car is on the ground then the arms should angle up slightly- that sets ride height, not droop. The springs must set the ride height, not the droop screws. Springs are too long if you can't get down to 5mm by adjusting the collar.

Time to take your car to the local track and get the local pro to help set up that ride height and droop
Old 07-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The track is open tomorrow. I'll have Brian take a look if he is there
Nubs,

Here is what I notice from your pictures.
  1. The downstop adjusting screws in the lower arms could be limiting your achievable droop.
  2. The anti-roll bar connectors could be at a length and geometry where they are limiting full movement of the lower arms. The front connectors look to be angled inward too much (probably should use the inner arm studs for mounting).
  3. The aluminum damper mounts should eliminate the need to use a long upper ball stud spacer. I believe you only need a 1mm spacer, per the TB Evo 6 manual. This could be affecting suspension geometry and achievable ride height.

I'll be at Ripon tomorrow with fresh batteries in my digital calipers. We'll measure everything and get it figured out.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by B. Santos
Nubs,

Here is what I notice from your pictures.
  1. The downstop adjusting screws in the lower arms could be limiting your achievable droop.
  2. The anti-roll bar connectors could be at a length and geometry where they are limiting full movement of the lower arms. The front connectors look to be angled inward too much (probably should use the inner arm studs for mounting).
  3. The aluminum damper mounts should eliminate the need to use a long upper ball stud spacer. I believe you only need a 1mm spacer, per the TB Evo 6 manual. This could be affecting suspension geometry and achievable ride height.

I'll be at Ripon tomorrow with fresh batteries in my digital calipers. We'll measure everything and get it figured out.
1) Yup I adjusted the down stop screw to give me 2 mm of droop. The issue was never droop, it was the ride height.

2) Made the appropriate changes to the ant-roll bars
3) Made the appropriate changes to the damper ball spacer

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ouch just measured something, my rear cvd's are 44mm. May be the issue.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Disconnect your shocks and say bars. Then turn the droop screws way out or remove them altogether. Your arms should hang pretty far down. If not, it's something on the chassis preventing it. If the hang down, then the issue is with your shocks being too short for one reason or another.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Make sure your hinge pins and other rotating parts are not binding: ballcups, C hubs, Cvd's, dcj's, etc...
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some of us struggled to get to 5mm ride heights on the TB04 and had to use the -1 mm spring retainers (post 237 in the TB04 forum is one of the first references). Once I moved to the -1mm retainers then I could reach 5mm even with the stiff springs up front.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Ok guys, the best thing you can do now is go on the "Capricorn America " YouTube channel and watch Dj Apolaro's shock & droop tutorials amongst all the tutorial videos that he posted there. They are priceless !!!!
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dyingslow
Some of us struggled to get to 5mm ride heights on the TB04 and had to use the -1 mm spring retainers (post 237 in the TB04 forum is one of the first references). Once I moved to the -1mm retainers then I could reach 5mm even with the stiff springs up front.
That would explain a lot.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dyingslow
Do you know the part number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.