Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Don't you mean higher?
Old 12-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Sorry, my bad.
Yes, higher. I keep thinking of adding or removing teeth from the pinion, rather than increasing or decreasing the gear ratio.
Old 12-25-2001, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I think my track is bit tighter than yours, and with a P2K I'm at a 7.0 FDR. The P2K is supposed to be similar to the MVP in terms of torque and power, so I'd say I'm about right.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Really?.....I always thought the MVP Motor was an RPM motor like the Rage but with just a little more bottom end. Should I run it like a P2K? I run the MVP in my RC10L3T Pan car and I gear it the same as a Rage (pretty much).
Old 12-26-2001, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Futureal..... Wow you gear in the 8.0 range? I run Trackside with my Losi and a GM3 and run 7.0-6.9 fdr. If I gear higher than 7.1 I cant keep up on the Long straight that they always seem to have. I only ran Madison once and I dont remember it haveing any long straights, do you think your ratio's would work at Trackside?
Old 12-27-2001, 03:00 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Just for kicks try going down a few teeth at once, all the way to a 8.something and see how the car holds up. There is a middle ground where the car will suck (like between 7 and 8). Then again, the tracks might just be too different or I might be running motors that rev higher with less torque. But I have had good results.

Scotty's track has a straight that is just about as long as ours in Madison. In fact I think his track is about the same length as ours, but about 10 feet deeper in the infield. Could be wrong about that though, I haven't been over there since late September.

Somebody asked about the P2K2, it is closer to the GM3 than to the P2K, I would definitely gear it a couple teeth down from the P2K. You can gear the P2K super tall and it will respond. In a lot of aspects I like the P2K the best, but if you get the Green 3 working just right, I think it's the fastest guy out there right now.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:46 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Problem

Hi guys...

my friend got my 03 together with the Orion Team Stock motor. Now hes having problem with the motor but I cant take a look at it because he's 100 miles away...

Anyways heres what he told me.

The motor sometimes wont run at all...then after a while it will...then when he turn it off it wont run again. He said theres a smell like something is burning...I asked him to feel the ESC (Novak Duster 2) and he said its cold and the smell is not coming from it. I also asked him to check all the conections and he said its okay, solder was in place too. He's like 80 percent sure its the motor. This is first RC so he cant seem to figure out the problem and on my part I need to see the RC personally before i can tell the problem. I was wondering maybe some of you here might help him...

Thanks
Old 12-27-2001, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

futureal.... I am planning on practicing at Trackside on new years eve during the day so I will give it a try. I have the Orion lap counter and its great for comparing setups.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I usually end up gearing @ 7.0 -7.2 FDR on a Rage/MVP, and 6.5 - 6.8 for P2K/P2K2. You do have to pick a good line thru the infield, but you will be rewarded.

I am weary of the "smoking motors", but have seen some impressive numbers produced from those that bench race on their dynos.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Rich, you gonna practice on Monday? I know what you mean about the "smoking motors" I only smoked one so far. I guess i'm due I got a couple of MVP's laying on my bench maybe I will start playing with them again.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by futureal

Somebody asked about the P2K2, it is closer to the GM3 than to the P2K, I would definitely gear it a couple teeth down from the P2K. You can gear the P2K super tall and it will respond. In a lot of aspects I like the P2K the best, but if you get the Green 3 working just right, I think it's the fastest guy out there right now.
futureal said it in a nutshell. my flavor(motor) of the month right now is the p2k2, and i have had more success treating it like a gm3 versus a p2k. maybe they should've named it gm3-2? but then again, p2k2 sounds more catchy.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure about practice on Monday, but I will race the NewYears day race, and try to make it down on Sunday to "practice".

I need to do some stock motor work, and will probably tote the dyno down for a look at some of my old race motors.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Rich.... Ok we will see you Sunday, I am not sure if I will be a Trackside on Mon. either, I have a feeling it will be pretty crowded and I can have the track in town to myself all day for $4.00. Its a lot smaller but I want to work on some setups for my mission and try a couple of new motors that show some good numbers on the dyno.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default Switching armatures in different set-ups

ok,give me some input on this.if you take a gm2or3 setup an put a p2k armature in it what did you find?my experience with slot car racing with gp 7 class you could make hi-rpm setup pretty torquey with a armature blank that has more mass to it.example;the gm3 arm has less mass because of the 3-rotor thing versus the 2 rotor setup on the p2k armature couldn't you make a torquer motor out of the gm3 if you did that.NEED INPUT.PLEASE.Thanks,Mike Hamrick.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Mike, I have tried that, and it does yield a little more torque, but really not much. Keep in mind the cans are different, the GM3 can has less mass than that of a P2K/P2K2, so really it's not much different from a GM3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.