Wiki Posts
Search

What HPI to Get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I personally would stay away from the Pixi and stick to RB, OS, or any other italian engine. For the track speed only matters to the extent of how well you can get around the track without crashing and maintaining a consistant lap. I honestly can say I would've managed at my track with my old trusty MT12, though the RB Rody I now have (spent quite a penny on it) has a ton of sick top end and more bottom end power. The RS4 .18 is basically the RTR 3 EVO with a .18 engine. Fast yes, but it's not race legal and still if you do plan on racing or would like something that just point blank will handle better on the track, the R40 is the choice for you. For engine, the Sirio Evo 2 is quite and engine and is under $200. The Wasp .12 is another nice engine as well as the Picco XP12RE, and the OS .12TZ. Find out more info about the track (size, type,etc) and then bring the info back here. We can go a couple steps further with that information.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I get a R40 I need an engine what goes over 50+ for sure. I would go over 200 for that.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

What would be a good Servo and Radio? For the R40 or the 18SS
Old 07-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

getting an r40 is gonna cost you a minimum if around 700 bucks, assumin you need radio starter box engine pipe and all. basically there are two classes, street and pro. with the exception of the fw05 by kyosho and ofna cd3 with are street cars that can be modded up to almost a pro car, which may be what you want. how much you willing to spend right now and what future do you want in r/c. that depicts what you should buy.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUD2&P=0 for a mixture of street and track car, i think this is perfect. it already has the push type clutch with if you needed to upgrade to this it costs around 80-100 bucks on most cars. this also has the starter box and radio. lol if i would have saw this back when i bought my 1st r/c would have gotten it. my advice, even though i love hpi, go with this kit. it best fits your wants and situation.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hummm does that have any other bodys like red or something?

Would the 18SS be good for Drifting?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

you could just other another body with the car for 20 bucks. as far as drifting, the .18ss is pretty good, but you will need slicks. but to actually get the full drift effect you would need a drift kit. hpi offers a conversion kit for any nitro 3 car to make it a drift car. the comversion kit is 190 bucks and still requires some for of the nitro 3, which i recommend the .18ss. hpi took the video of the kit off, but take my word, its damn good. to be honest the yokomo NITRO drift kit is the best ive seen from vids.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

nitro cars not good choice for drifting,
places too much stress on the engine and drivetrain.

hey rc-hpi,
you got too much time on your hands huh?
you wana drive on the street, go to track and drift?

but seriously speaking, what car you gonna get all depends on your budget.
most rtrs can get you running below $500.
r40 and other 'serious' kit only cars will set you back $600-800 minimum...

and regarding top speed, it all depends on the gear ratios...
most engines can go above 50 given an appropriate ratio and a long stretch of blacktop...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

although that may be true, i think electric drifting is"gay" for lack of better words to express how i feel about it. just doesnt have the real drifting feel ya know? can hear the revs and all. its just not the same. i dont like electric period.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I don't really like Electric plus I want a car what can Beat or match my friends 55 MPH Rc car
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm, I forgot about that Ofna CD3 Pro RTR. It's actually a pretty good buy. My friend has the kit and installed my MT12 engine I sold him and it runs really well. I think you should spend your $$ on that for now. It will get you up and going for a start and will really be sweet to mess around with it on and off the track.It will top 50mph farly good, but as mentioned speed isnt everything. I've beaten cars geared for 70mph with engines that can barely make it while mine (with a stock gearing) hits 60mph+. Gearing and other factors play a major roll. Consider the included engine something to get used to then later you can upgrade to a faster engine.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

what that guy said^^^^. even though hpi parts are more accesible, this is a damn good 1st kit in my opinion. plus you dont want ur 1st engine to be a nice somewhat expensive one since you have no experience. OFNA CD3 is the way to go oh, and if you do get it order some hpi belted slicks and 26mm mesh wheels. foams only work well on asphalt, anything else will tear them up. plus the hpi slicks are very nice, they grip way better than any pattern tires ive seen.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thx guy's I believe I'm Most likely going too go with the Ofna CD3 Pro.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by n.e.r.d
nitro cars not good choice for drifting,
places too much stress on the engine and drivetrain.

hey rc-hpi,
you got too much time on your hands huh?
you wana drive on the street, go to track and drift?

but seriously speaking, what car you gonna get all depends on your budget.
most rtrs can get you running below $500.
r40 and other 'serious' kit only cars will set you back $600-800 minimum...

and regarding top speed, it all depends on the gear ratios...
most engines can go above 50 given an appropriate ratio and a long stretch of blacktop...
Statement A: False. How can it place unsustainable amounts of stress on the drivetrain if the tires aren't gripping? Besides, the drivetrain would be just as stressed, it's the powerhouse that you would need to worry about being stressed. The engine wouldn't be affected, anyway. It would be the clutch that took the hit. It's a lot easier to replace a clutch in an RS4 3 than a mod motor for an electric car.

Statement B: Pretty much true. Almost every RTR I know will get you up and running for under 500. But if the R40 can take a pull start, then it probably wouldn't cost THAT much more than an RS4, or CD3.

Statement C: True. But how long does it have to go before it gets to 50? If you geared it waaaay up, it may take a runway (or two).

But good luck with whatever car you get. And a note from someone who's been down the nitro road and hitch hiked to the electric one whenever he could: BE KIND TO YOUR MOTOR! Take care of it, clean it, oil it, do everything you can to keep it brand new inside and out! I didn't realize that nitro engines were so tempermental. But if you do a few simple things after each run, your engine and your WALLET will thank you!
Good luck.
-Josh