Wiki Posts
Search

1/12th Stock Motor Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/12th Stock Motor Suggestions

So I'm finding myself in the stretch of the on road season right now... any more serious event I go to I'm off pace a good .3-.4 sec a lap. I'm running a Fantom version D3. Now I know stock 1/12 you really got to pay to play... but I don't know what to buy...

The D3.5 will be illegal before I know it. Read, wasted money.

I don't really want to run a kill shot, nobody is hot on them.

And nothing else seems fast...

Any suggestions? Any word on the lesser known motor makers... schurr speed... or?

I'm losing my interest in on road because of this.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wade....
So I'm finding myself in the stretch of the on road season right now... any more serious event I go to I'm off pace a good .3-.4 sec a lap. I'm running a Fantom version D3. Now I know stock 1/12 you really got to pay to play... but I don't know what to buy...

The D3.5 will be illegal before I know it. Read, wasted money.

I don't really want to run a kill shot, nobody is hot on them.

And nothing else seems fast...

Any suggestions? Any word on the lesser known motor makers... schurr speed... or?

I'm losing my interest in on road because of this.
You don't want waste money, but you hit the nail on the head with "you got to pay to play".

As long as the D3.5 is legal, you should be on it... period. Otherwise, you will find yourself a little off pace. Obviously it isn't going to make up a 3-4 tenth gap, but it will put you in a position to objectively evaluate the rest of your 12th program... as you will know you are in the ballpark, power-wise.

D3.5 aside, after having run a couple of other motors in preparation for IIC last fall(where the D3.5 was not allowed), I would probably be on the ORCA in 17.5 12th.

Of course, Trinity is obligated to produce a new motor(D4, etc) by the end of March this year. So expect another variable to be thrown into the equation here in the next couple months.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Our club has a consistent 1/12th Stock field, and it's competitive. I call most of the races and have a good feel for the equipment on the track. We also banned the D3.5 last season when it originally went down, and we have kept the ban in place this season. I see a good mix of motors on the track.

The top four at the front this season, in no particular order:

1. Killshot
2. Revtech
3. Reedy Sonic (original and Mach 2)
4. Thunder Power

The one thing I will say, is that when it's game on and the fastest guys are out to prove a point, they are rolling with newish batteries and charging with an iCharger. They're not doing high amp charges, but that charger seems to have a really effective charging algorithm that gets the most out of the batteries. It seems to be an essential piece of equipment for running at the front. (I don't own one myself, I don't sell them, represent them, or in any way benefit from saying so.)

So, don't chase motor if what you're really lacking is a great battery and the tool to get the most out of it. Stock remains what it has always been, a game of millivolts and perfect setup. 1s 1/12th maybe more than ever.

A good charger is no less essential today than it has ever been. Any of the above motors should get you in the game.

The fastest guys at our club are also working relentlessly on their corner speed: Caster, camber, sauce, tire compound, body, track width, springs, battery position, side springs, droop, etc.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I agree with above statement.

I can not get any others to run with them, and the orca seems really really close from what I have seen, Tony and Dave.

FYI wade your fast lap was .005 off of my fast lap in the A main sunday.
http://jlaprm.com/PC/Molzer/01_19_20...th%20stock.HTM

I am finding with todays bats we are running the larger rotor and higher rollouts and the batts will hold on with less fade through the run.

Where last year we running 12.3 rotors with less gause and rolling 90 or lower.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
You don't want waste money, but you hit the nail on the head with "you got to pay to play".

As long as the D3.5 is legal, you should be on it... period. Otherwise, you will find yourself a little off pace. Obviously it isn't going to make up a 3-4 tenth gap, but it will put you in a position to objectively evaluate the rest of your 12th program... as you will know you are in the ballpark, power-wise.

D3.5 aside, after having run a couple of other motors in preparation for IIC last fall(where the D3.5 was not allowed), I would probably be on the ORCA in 17.5 12th.

Of course, Trinity is obligated to produce a new motor(D4, etc) by the end of March this year. So expect another variable to be thrown into the equation here in the next couple months.
I have to agree... I've used many different motor/rotor/gearing combos trying to find an alternative to the D3.5 in 17.5 1/12th, and the D3.5 always seems to come out on top.

If you're running a spec class, and the motor specified is a 17.5, be prepared to play the "motor of the week" game. We've all come to accept the fact that the motor you're running today probably won't be the motor you're using in a month or two. It's the nature of the beast - always has been, and probably always will be...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So to summarize... right now run a D3.5... or go home and wait till March when the motor field will be more even.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

and you are only .005 off pace.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Orca. I don't get the "pay to play" thing. All roar spec motors are within $20 of each other. Strong motor important but just as strong are esc and setup. I'd say 3-4 tenths is more corner speed issue than straight libe speed.
Definitely plug for oca though. From what I've seen in our 13.5 blinky club racing its very similar to d3.5.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Well I run the orca tc 17.5 with the stock rotor(a ht rotor) and its fantastic, very very fast and smooth, (not as good as a d3.5 but nothing is) its not super expensive you might have to try a few motors to get something decent
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wade....
So to summarize... right now run a D3.5... or go home and wait till March when the motor field will be more even.

Thanks for the responses!
Don't expect the motor field to be ANY tighter when the D4 arrives. There's a reason Trinity wins nearly every spec race in the world. They are the only ones that build SPEC motors. Everyone else just winds their Mod motor with Spec class wire, and sends 'em out the door. Trinity knows where the money is made, and they do their homework......