R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Attending the Worlds as a Privateer?

Hi,

Just hoping to get a little info and guidance from people who have attended the Worlds without being a sponsored driver.

Is there any tips or advice that you could give? What sort of costs are involved? What sort of parts/spares do you take? What things did you do to prepare prior to the event? Any unexpected things that occurred?

Thanks

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Practice.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I raced in both classes in 2006 with absolutely zero sponsorship. TC was/is my main interest, 1/12 I just did for something to do and ended up making the worlds team!

What sort of costs are involved?

The same as any other race meeting, but more, the biggest costs are still travel, accommodation and tyres, these are all things you can't sell on afterwards so it's 100% dead money.
We drove across europe so didn't have to think about flights.

What sort of parts/spares do you take?

Again, just like any other race meeting. Remember there are a few days of running so if there is something you break often you may need a few more. For some reason in TC I got through a few rear belts, maybe the track was harder on drivetrains than the tracks at home?

What things did you do to prepare prior to the event?

Just rebuilt the cars and tried to pack intelligently, obviously you want to pack as little as possible but still not need anything win you get there. The information pack was good, it told me exactly what mains plug adapters I needed, what power was available, tables and chairs etc.
Some of the top drivers didn't have touring cars until the day before the TC event started. Their sponsors brought them along as a big bag of parts!

Any unexpected things that occurred?

Made the E main in 1/12, which I thought wasn't bad for a privateer at an IFMAR worlds.
The atmosphere changed a lot for TC. People changed from pitting with friends to pitting with team mates and information and help was very hard to come by.
I had the wrong additive but couldn't get the right one so my TC result was not really what I wanted.

Also wasn't half as well organised as I'd hoped/expected. They didn't get round to the opening ceremony until 1/12 was done and dusted and half of the 1/12 drivers had gone home!
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I have never attended a race meeting over seas but I have done mayjor fish events so can give you my insight.

Travel costs, accomodation and car hire/transportation are the biggest expence, food is another, no point in paying "all inclusive" if your wont be in at the set meal times. Luggage allowences on most air travel is minimal so you will need to prioritise what you need, leave out heavy items that are low cost, buy them when you arrive. Personnally I take lightwieght hiking clothing, easy to was and dry I dont want to be spending my time shopping for clothes, I will however go to a tackle shop so I buy the stuff I need there.

Items I would not take are tryes, addatives, cleaners, batteries, I would limit what spare, tools and set-up guages I would take.

At any event it is likely that you will meet new friends so before I travel home I either give my stuff away or sell off to recoupe some of the money.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Tech Elite

On thing to remember is that IFMAR has its own motor and battery approval lists so be sure that the equipment that you are using is IFMAR approved. It may be legal where you race or even approved by EFRA and ROAR, but may not be IFMAR approved.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks everyone who replied, appreciate you taking the time. Lot of thinking and planning to be done

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

good luck at the races!
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck.

I would build 2 brand new chassis that you intend to use and have a good selection of spares.

I would also find out about the track conditions grip levels expected at the event and practice/setup the cars to suit.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Hi,

Just hoping to get a little info and guidance from people who have attended the Worlds without being a sponsored driver.

Is there any tips or advice that you could give? What sort of costs are involved? What sort of parts/spares do you take? What things did you do to prepare prior to the event? Any unexpected things that occurred?

Thanks
For EP Onroad i dont think i would bother, i have had friends go to worlds events and they all said they have had more fun at other large regional races like ETS or TITC.

There is too much politics and bullshit that goes on with a IFMAR event. Look at the tire debacle so far, allocating a tire thats not even on the market yet.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
For EP Onroad i dont think i would bother, i have had friends go to worlds events and they all said they have had more fun at other large regional races like ETS or TITC.

There is too much politics and bullshit that goes on with a IFMAR event. Look at the tire debacle so far, allocating a tire thats not even on the market yet.
I want to go to a worlds as it's an event I want to tick off my 'bucket list'
I want to go to THE event and race against the best in the world.
Before everyone starts telling me that the ETS or TITIC or Snowbirds, IIC etc are the best, they aren't. They might be better organised and possibly have a friendlier atmosphere etc but they NEVER have all the top drivers, there are always a few of them missing which detracts slightly.

It may end up being a bit chaotic or a complete nightmare, but at least I can say I was there.

Skiddins

P.S. Also hoping to making a round of the ETS this year.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I want to go to a worlds as it's an event I want to tick off my 'bucket list'
I want to go to THE event and race against the best in the world.
Before everyone starts telling me that the ETS or TITIC or Snowbirds, IIC etc are the best, they aren't. They might be better organised and possibly have a friendlier atmosphere etc but they NEVER have all the top drivers, there are always a few of them missing which detracts slightly.

It may end up being a bit chaotic or a complete nightmare, but at least I can say I was there.

Skiddins

P.S. Also hoping to making a round of the ETS this year.
Same as you. I would love to go to the worlds and get a feel for it all. It would be great to see people at the top of their game battling it out.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I dont gt going to the worlds without a sponsor. How are that good of a driver to be even close to competing with the top tier and NOT already have a sponsor? If your that good that you wont be a moving road block to everyone else, someone sjould have picked you up by now.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I dont gt going to the worlds without a sponsor. How are that good of a driver to be even close to competing with the top tier and NOT already have a sponsor? If your that good that you wont be a moving road block to everyone else, someone sjould have picked you up by now.
Being sponsored just means somebody has noticed your driving, and you get free or reduced price stuff. There are plenty of people who can be highly competitive at a world level, they just have to lug it out without the sponser. If you are truly that good, a sponser shouldn't really matter.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #14
Tech Champion

I mean, you bought all your own stuff before, what really changes with a sponser.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
To improve, you need to race against the best, not just get good results at your local clubs, which means nothing.
Why are the US drivers so obsessed about sponsors (in stock classes etc as well), I can buy their equipment off the shelf anytime I want and the TC drivers i talk to have always been willing to help out with queries I had about their driving techniques and technical info.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote