Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Boss 25.5 VTA noisey and ratchets

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Novak Boss 25.5 VTA noisey and ratchets

I just bought this motor for Cleveland and it is noisy and rachety sounding I thought my diffs were bad, went through the whole car replaced all bearings and then I went to the motor and compared it to my older 25.5 motors they are smooth and quite.
Has anybody experience this and is there a solution other than sending it to Novak?

Thanks Chris
Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigcracing
I just bought this motor for Cleveland and it is noisy and rachety sounding I thought my diffs were bad, went through the whole car replaced all bearings and then I went to the motor and compared it to my older 25.5 motors they are smooth and quite.
Has anybody experience this and is there a solution other than sending it to Novak?

Thanks Chris
First thing I would look at is the sensor wire and a possible stray wire from the A/B/C wires to the motor.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

I did that if you spin the motors free hand you can tell there is a differance my older novaks spin smooth this one is rough. The bearings feel ok it feels like really strong magnets. When you run the motor it sounds real loud like I put a playing card in my spokes when I was a young kid riding my bike down the street

I tried new and old sensor wires spur gears and pinion. I don't know
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Make sure the timing board is snug. I one time forgot to tighten the three screws on the back of motor. The motor was significantly louder. Now don't reef on the screws, gently snug will do.

If this is still an issue come Friday, please see me and we will get it resolved. I will be at the indoor champs.

Snowy.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigcracing
I did that if you spin the motors free hand you can tell there is a differance my older novaks spin smooth this one is rough. The bearings feel ok it feels like really strong magnets. When you run the motor it sounds real loud like I put a playing card in my spokes when I was a young kid riding my bike down the street

I tried new and old sensor wires spur gears and pinion. I don't know
I gotchya, the new never run Boss I have here is a little louder when free spun compared to my other motors.

Either way, see Snowy or RJ when you get there. I am sending a new motor, with "dyno" numbers with RJ, in case it needs to be swapped out.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My car is smooth as butter, but it's a dog. Borrowing a really good battery helps some and the chassis is really free. I don't know if the motor is a dog or if I just can't find the right mix of time and gear.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks I will look for ya there thanks. I put in my 17.5 and it ran a lot quiter so it is the motor. I will let you here on Friday and see what you think.

Thanks for the quick response and a so lotion

Thanks chris