Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire prep help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default tire prep help

Do you guys clean your tires every round and if so what with?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Most people dont but ive definitely noticed a difference since cleaning tires. I use brakleen and sauce immediately after. Alternately you could use rubbing alcohol but i find that drys everything out a lot. Some say brakleen does too but the tires dont last long enough to see a difference i think.
Really depends how dirty the racing surface is. I find bathing the tire in water works better against sugar water solution outdoors.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I use Simple Green to clean my tires after each race. Works great, inexpensive to buy and non-toxic and bio-degradable too.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lighter fluild also works well as a cleaner for both foamies and rubber tires. It's cheap, and I havent seen any real drawback. The only tip I could give would be to let the lighter fluid tire dry for a while before re-applying your sauce, or dab some sauce on a rag/paper towel and wipe off the lighter fluid residue before saucing.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For on road we use goop hand cleaner for cleaning use micro fiber to wipe off then use tire sauce of your choice On carpet VTA after frist round we just clean with goop no other tire prep need
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use liquid tire buffer and wd40. I first wipe the tires with the liquid tire buffer, was told it opens the pores in the rubber, then I apply the wd40, which softens and condtions the rubber, or so I've been told. I use a separate rag to apply each. I then heat the tires with my MuchMore tire warmer.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Tire prep varies a lot. Ask 1000 people and you will likely get 1001 different answers. I clean my tires with motor spray usually, and I do it between each round. I only run indoors on carpet.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
I use Simple Green to clean my tires after each race. Works great, inexpensive to buy and non-toxic and bio-degradable too.
simple green has worked for me until now too. may have to try some of these methods now too though. Hmmm