Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I had my maiden run with the MI5 in blinky 21.5 on the weekend at our ACT Titles. I used Chris Graingers carpet setup as the basis and modified it to suit our local conditions. The carpet was low/medium grip and no additives allowed. Luckily we can use any foam tyre, provided it is 26mm wide and max 64mm diameter.

I have to say I had some issues initially, however after changing the front setup the car was hooked up and I managed to TQ all six rounds of qualifying and win the first two finals. The car had awesome corner speed and that is where I had a big advantage over the other cars. I hope to post my setup later and a couple of pictures. I used a Blitz WRX body on my car which has handling characteristics that is between the Mazda speed 6 and the LTC-R.

I did use Yokomo springs front and rear, that being the pink front and blue rear with 40wt AE Factory oil, (500 cst). The rest was as per kit except for zero rebound in the shocks.

Car was very easy to drive hard and set the fastest lap time in the class and was the only car to complete 23 laps. In the third final I pushed too hard and hit the ag pipe used for the track and popped the steering rack out, as I hit it at full speed turning into the sweeper. Car was dialled all weekend. Because the car was working so well I did not change the car to the mid motor configuration and test it out.

That is for the future. Very happy with the car. No issues with the car all weekend.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Just started assemble my Mi5 kit, and I have a quick question.

Shall the wishbones fall down easily when screw to tha chassie ? It seems like 2 of the wishbones, are more free than the other two, and I have only lightly tighten the M3 screw with the spanner.
On my build, both front wishbones contacted the bulkheads just enough to stick a bit. I had to sand the graphite arms where they are intended to contact the bulkheads in a crash - removing a very small amount of material.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
On my build, both front wishbones contacted the bulkheads just enough to stick a bit. I had to sand the graphite arms where they are intended to contact the bulkheads in a crash - removing a very small amount of material.
I have tried to sand a small amount of the wishbones away, so they didn't stick to the bulkheads, but it made no different. The arm fall freely when I haven't tighten the M3 screw, but when I tighten the screw, then it stick. Not totaly, but enough so the arm won't fall down by it self.

I tried to put the one not rear wishbones arm on instead, but it's the same problem.

Any other surgest to what's wrong ?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
I have tried to sand a small amount of the wishbones away, so they didn't stick to the bulkheads, but it made no different. The arm fall freely when I haven't tighten the M3 screw, but when I tighten the screw, then it stick. Not totaly, but enough so the arm won't fall down by it self.

I tried to put the one not rear wishbones arm on instead, but it's the same problem.

Any other surgest to what's wrong ?
Have you added the plastic insert to the outside yet - the extra weight will make it fall normally hopefully and the inserts will free up over time I would say.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have a problem with the rear arms of m Mi5 too. When the shocks are mounted, the arm will "stick" or "tick" 3 or 4 times as you compress and release the arm. The shock by itself is butter smooth. The arm by itself (shock un-mounted) is butter smooth and falls freely. But with the shock mounted up, the rear arms go "tick tick tick tick", as you compress the arm.

Iv sanded down the inside of the arms in case there is contact with the bulkhead, but it made no difference. Can't figure out what it is.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scoyle
Have you added the plastic insert to the outside yet - the extra weight will make it fall normally hopefully and the inserts will free up over time I would say.
No, I haven't added the plastic inserts yet, hopefully they will do the trick. I will try it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I have a problem with the rear arms of m Mi5 too. When the shocks are mounted, the arm will "stick" or "tick" 3 or 4 times as you compress and release the arm. The shock by itself is butter smooth. The arm by itself (shock un-mounted) is butter smooth and falls freely. But with the shock mounted up, the rear arms go "tick tick tick tick", as you compress the arm.

Iv sanded down the inside of the arms in case there is contact with the bulkhead, but it made no difference. Can't figure out what it is.
You haven't tightened the top nut too tight by any chance? Try it with the nut and plastic 'washer' off to see how it reacts?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone tried the U4130 vented shock caps with the Mi5? And what way does building them as emulsion, vented diaphragm or sealed diaphragm make a difference.

I am asking as I was wondering what they would be like to build zero rebound shocks for indoors?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Lord

You haven't tightened the top nut too tight by any chance? Try it with the nut and plastic 'washer' off to see how it reacts?
Nope.. top nut is just there to keep the shock from popping off. If I pop off the bottom ball-cup from the arm, the shock will pivot/spin on the top shock mount free as can-be (Iv been building RC cars for 20+ years).
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Nope.. top nut is just there to keep the shock from popping off. If I pop off the bottom ball-cup from the arm, the shock will pivot/spin on the top shock mount free as can-be (Iv been building RC cars for 20+ years).
I had to ask mate, seen a few in my time with the nut too tight
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On martins carpet setup is the droop measured with shocks on the arms while on the 10mm blocks or with shocks off on the 10mm blocks?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Lord

I had to ask mate, seen a few in my time with the nut too tight
oh i know how that goes!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

oh i know how that goes!
I've heard something similar in the past and suspected creaky springs. I've never nailed it down, but in the back of my mind I've always wondered if the coils were rubbing the shock body or each other near the top or bottom.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Cpt.America, check and see if it's your piston rubbing the sides of your shock body. Maybe the shock shaft is at a weird angle when it is being compressed making the piston scrape against the side of the shock body. The shock will need to be mounted on the car to check this. Look to see if when compressed the shock shaft shifts in the shock body. I've had this happen when my O-rings are shot or when I build the shocks wrong..
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Gearing question. Medium size outdoor and indoor asphalt tracks. Will be running 10.5 mostly with the stock spur. What pinion range? I also may toss a 4.5 in it now and then just for kicks. What pinion range there also with the stock spur?

Thanks for any feedback. Soldering up the car today and didn't have time to read this whole thread.

Running reventon pro esc and sp motors.

Last edited by jackcarter3; 07-23-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Content

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.