Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

finally got to convert my xv-01t asterion to a rally car! no upgrade for parts since i haven't broken anything yet and ran it only on tarmac. but i'm really itching to run it on some dirt.

while deciding for the body i painted some parts

chose the subaru team arai but went with my own color scheme

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

That's certainly an... interesting look
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by metalnut
That's certainly an... interesting look
yeah, i decided to go for something different. i'm thinking of going for white rims for a better match.

how's your xv-01 doing, metalnut?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bangkay
yeah, i decided to go for something different. i'm thinking of going for white rims for a better match.

how's your xv-01 doing, metalnut?
I'm sad to say the XV has been sitting on the shelf for a little while. I've been focusing on honing my skills at the local offroad track with a buggy and an SCT, as I realized my driving was pretty bad. But.. I just had a few parts come from RCMart and the XV will be making a comeback soon. I'm also going to try turning it into a basic drifter, I have the wheels/tires and body already. Just to scratch up some hardwood floors
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm sad to say the XV has been sitting on the shelf for a little while. I've been focusing on honing my skills at the local offroad track with a buggy and an SCT, as I realized my driving was pretty bad. But.. I just had a few parts come from RCMart and the XV will be making a comeback soon. I'm also going to try turning it into a basic drifter, I have the wheels/tires and body already. Just to scratch up some hardwood floors
that's not so bad. at least you still have parts when you decide to convert it to a drifter. post some pics when you're done!

have fun with the buggies and the SCTs.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bangkay
finally got to convert my xv-01t asterion to a rally car! no upgrade for parts since i haven't broken anything yet and ran it only on tarmac. but i'm really itching to run it on some dirt.
Nice!

Did you have to do any modifications, or was it just a matter of switching wheels and body?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bakoo
Nice!

Did you have to do any modifications, or was it just a matter of switching wheels and body?
Looks to me like just wheels and body. Many 190mm bodies will fit, as long as there is room for the motor up front and the length is in the ballpark. Same way, 26mm TC wheels/tires just bolt right on as well.

I really should take some pictures of my XV in the various looks. Now I have a TODO
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bakoo
Nice!

metalnut is correct - wheels and body plus the bumper (PN 51502) and urethane foam. at that time i took the picture, my LHS didn't have any foam so i just made one from rubber lying around the house.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Looks to me like just wheels and body. Many 190mm bodies will fit, as long as there is room for the motor up front and the length is in the ballpark. Same way, 26mm TC wheels/tires just bolt right on as well.

I really should take some pictures of my XV in the various looks. Now I have a TODO
Many but not all unfortunately, since I would love to run one of those low front vintage Porsche bodies. The motor up front is big plus when it comes to handling and fun, but just like real life cars, it limits the front body profile.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stormridersp
Many but not all unfortunately, since I would love to run one of those low front vintage Porsche bodies. The motor up front is big plus when it comes to handling and fun, but just like real life cars, it limits the front body profile.
Yeah, I wanted a Porsche body as well actually, but sadly that doesn't work. Still, there are a lot of nice options out there. For now I'm running a BMW E30 body and that looks pretty sick.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

The picture is up, shouldn't take much longer now!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54514
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

This has been the longest I have every waited for stabilizers to be released lol. They announced these in April ad we still don't have them
Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

I'm definitely getting these. It'll be nice to be able to run softer springs and still be able to reduce body roll!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Are there any good tips in installing the slipper clutch? I installed mine and followed the procedure (leave 3.5mm exposed screw), but the slipper keeps on slipping even on low pile carpet only. I adjusted it a bit to 5mm but when I run it, the locknut got tightened causing the spur gear to lock/bind. I tried to install it twice, same thing happened...

Any common mistakes that a newbie like me can make so that I can look out for it when I'm doing the slipper clutch install? Anybody willing to make a good youtube video about it? Thanks

Last edited by archerwin; 08-17-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Remove the slipper entirely and start over. First install back pressure plate, make sure it sits properly on shaft, then disk and spur. Make sure the disk stays inside the groves of spur. Install front disk and pressure plate. Install washer, spring and washer (I think that's the sequence) then lock nut. Turn lock nut till tight, do not over tighten. Back out a full turn and half.

Turn radio and car on. Hold car down with one hand and pull trigger to check slip. If there is no slip, loosen still 1/4 turn. If it slips a lot, tighten 1/4. Then test car on carpet without holding it.

You want the slipper to slip for 2 to 3 seconds when you pull the trigger to full throttle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.