Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires for low grip carpet(non-Ozite)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sorex 24 thru 28 provide incredible traction. Another good choice would be one of the Sweep tires in a very soft compound.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My low grip tires are Sweep R24. These work great for lower grip carpet. Also use a ball/gear diff in front with thin oil (1000 - 4000cst) to give the car overall more cornering.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

I'd agree with some of the the above about trying Sorex 24 or 28's.

It would appear the only real way to find out what's best is to get a few different sets of tyres and test.

Skiddins
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I have an idea where to start now.

Thanks for the info on the ball diff on the front I would have never thought of taking my spool out.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

something not a lot of people tend to look at, but tamiya type c tires work wonders on low grip carpet.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I always hear this argument and it never adds up. For one no one around here owns a truer, so someone is going to buy a truer or we all chip in and get one. Then it becomes a battle of truing tires to the best size handling wise and keeping them there. I have never seen someone being serious about racing not go through tires and always truing them. Not something you want to be doing when you are trying to attract new racers. Just getting them to do setup work on their car can be a challenge.
Depends on the personalities of those involved. I race 12th scale and I had my truer out only twice in 2012. I could easily have done without it. We have plenty of guys who don't bother with a truer, and others who are happy to lend theirs out to the others.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would use sweeps
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I always hear this argument and it never adds up. For one no one around here owns a truer, so someone is going to buy a truer or we all chip in and get one. Then it becomes a battle of truing tires to the best size handling wise and keeping them there. I have never seen someone being serious about racing not go through tires and always truing them. Not something you want to be doing when you are trying to attract new racers. Just getting them to do setup work on their car can be a challenge.
You are looking at foams from the point of view of a serious racer, not a beginner. Beginners are the people you are trying to attract and you should consider them. Beginners will just bolt on foams, get instant grip and be very happy to keep on racing. Tell them they have to use rubbers and unless they have the right tyres and they buy tyre warmers as well, they will slide all over the place at the start of the race and will get frustrated very quickly.

If you keep the attitude of the club as a friendly, social event with racing attached rather than winning is everything then the beginners will just bolt on the foams as new and run them until they are badly chunked or worn out. If they aren't looking at setup work then they aren't going to be interested in truing new tyres down. We make sure the priority at the club is for people to enjoy their club nights no matter how fast or slow they go and as a consequence only the top heat really sees results as being so important.

My club has run foams ever since we started running touring cars in the early 90s, because we were running foams on buggies before that and rubber tyres back then were useless. In all that time I have seen 3-4 tyre truers at the club, and all used just to refresh the tyres to get them the same diameter, not turn them down to a particular size. I used to take my truer to the club but no one ever borrowed it. If racers don't see others truing tyres they don't think about doing it themselves.

Our top drivers run rubbers out of choice, as they race elsewhere they choose to run rubbers over foam to save compromising setup or having two cars. Considering their decision was because rubbers are cheaper with less work while the novices just charge their cars and go with foams and no or little additive, our top drivers are cleaning their rubber tyres with brake cleaner, coating with additive then adding tyre warmers.

We find that once the novices get the hang of things and start upgrading from their basic gear they change their foams for rubber because those are what the fast drivers are using so they think rubbers are faster.

For those who have to tune and tweak their cars to be perfect for every single race, even at club nights with nothing at stake and whether they enjoyed their evening depends on where they finished in the final, to keep them from using foams only let the beginners run foams with the silver can motor that comes with the cheap kits. Makes them easy to drive so they can have fun and gets them into the hobby, and the one thing that sustains clubs long term is a regular supply of new racers to replace the ones that leave.

Of course if you just want to attract experienced drivers from off road and not bother about getting total newbies into the hobby then don't have a basic run anything beginners class, but don't be surprised when all the offroaders go back outside in the summer. Been there, done that, and ended up with a handful of racers in the summer. We now concentrate on those who want to race on road as their main class.

With low grip carpet and no additive, if your drivers are the ones that 'need' tyre truers for foam, the same drivers will 'need' tyre cleaner and 'need' tyre warmers, and they do make a lot of difference from untreated rubbers.

Tyre of choice on our low grip carpet are Sorex 24s for the extra grip, Sorex 28JBs easily the best if you have the grip.
And throw away your spool, all it will do is take away steering and you will have enough problems getting the car to turn in as it is. It might help traction once you are out of the corner but if you are scrubbing off so much speed into and through the corner, having to accelerate from a much lower speed doesn't help lap times.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Of course if you just want to attract experienced drivers from off road and not bother about getting total newbies into the hobby then don't have a basic run anything beginners class, but don't be surprised when all the offroaders go back outside in the summer. Been there, done that, and ended up with a handful of racers in the summer. We now concentrate on those who want to race on road as their main class.
This is an off road club, we are lucky enough they pull the jumps of the track so we can also run a touring car class during club races. This is a very beginner club. The majority of the members do not even know what traction compound is or how to use it. Come summer time no one will be using this track besides maybe me and one or two others. Especially since the outdoor off road track is 100% free practice and racing. The fact we also have to now pay to race($10) on the indoor track has cut the number of people racing by over half, only seven of us at the last race. There are plans to be laying asphalt for an outdoor on road track next to the off road track.

As for beginners running foams that would be something else they would have to buy when getting a new car. Right now the rubber tires that come on the RTRs are not proving slower then the slicks I have. I won Saturday by only .6 of a second in a six minute main over a car with the Team Associated RTR tires. The tires I was using actually lost grip and my lap times slowed as the race went on the RTR tires remained consistent.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Try Tamiya M2 radial(R only or R+F) and slick(F) combo.
Waaaay in the past that used to work quite well, at least for stock because these are non-belted.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to run at a track that did not allow traction compound also. We were allowed to use Simple Green. If the owner is worried about odor, you should look into Sweep X-2 or Sticky Fingers. Neither of these compounds will smell the joint up.

As far as tires on an unheated floor in a cooler building I have had good results with both the Sweep Kitty Rug(EXP30) and the EXP36 tires.