Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12th scale help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 12th scale help

I just recently started back into racing and could use some help.Get ready,,,im gonna take you back in time.I am running an associated 12Lw with a tekin formula 10 esc,reedy 11T double and darkforce 5000 mah nimh saddle pack.Im looking to go brushless. I can easily handle what im running now so im looking for more speed but i dont want to be uncontrolable..any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlee77
I just recently started back into racing and could use some help.Get ready,,,im gonna take you back in time.I am running an associated 12Lw with a tekin formula 10 esc,reedy 11T double and darkforce 5000 mah nimh saddle pack.Im looking to go brushless. I can easily handle what im running now so im looking for more speed but i dont want to be uncontrolable..any help would be appreciated.
The first thing you should update is your chassis. You'll want a dedicated 1S car. If you try and buy electronics around your current chassis everything will be a compromise. Start with a good base and you can update everything else slowly. If you turn the saddle into a 4 cell pack you can use all of your current gear with a new car.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What do the locals that you race with use for motor wind ?

13.5 BL would be a fairly quick option for you
Practically no one races anything but 1s lipo, on link chassis now days

Check the 12th scale info link in my sig for most things 12th related
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Radio active...i plan on setting this car up as what i would call my test car..Which is why im not going lipo in this one.Im using this car as my stepping stone into lipo since ive been out of the hobby for so long.I do plan on getting the associated r5.Red bull..I race with a mix of guys.The ones who are running 12th scale are running lipo with the exception of two and they are brushless.I drive well but i just cant match the speed they are producing.and from what i understand,,kv ratings arent the same for all motor manufacturers so its hard to tell what will get me in the running.All i do know is that we clocked one lipo and one brushless non lipo and the lipo car topped out at 71 and the nimh hit 68..i also dont know what esc,s they are running or how they are tuned.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Radio active...i plan on setting this car up as what i would call my test car..Which is why im not going lipo in this one.Im using this car as my stepping stone into lipo since ive been out of the hobby for so long.I do plan on getting the associated r5.Red bull..I race with a mix of guys.The ones who are running 12th scale are running lipo with the exception of two and they are brushless.I drive well but i just cant match the speed they are producing.and from what i understand,,kv ratings arent the same for all motor manufacturers so its hard to tell what will get me in the running.All i do know is that we clocked one lipo and one brushless non lipo and the lipo car topped out at 71 and the nimh hit 68..i also dont know what esc,s they are running or how they are tuned.
kv ratings within the same wind, on different brands are meaningless, ignore that data

It sounds like open motor/esc/battery rules where you race ?
What type of track are you racing on ?

68, 71, what measurement is that in ? ? ?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

wide open modified racing..lol. we race on a new black top parking lot.Its a small club of about 9 of us.There used to be a local rc shop that we raced at years ago and it has since closed down.so for now..since everyone wants to go fast we have a 10th scale open mod class and a 12th scale open mod.I will be looking to get into more serious racing in the spring but this is what we have for now.The speeds that we recorded were in mph. The guys i race with said its easy now a days to see cars running in the 80s and 90s..It wasnt that easy when i was first racing.lol

Last edited by jlee77; 12-30-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: made addition
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

wide open modified racing..lol. we race on a new black top parking lot.Its a small club of about 9 of us.There used to be a local rc shop that we raced at years ago and it has since closed down.so for now..since everyone wants to go fast we have a 10th scale open mod class and a 12th scale open mod.I will be looking to get into more serious racing in the spring but this is what we have for now.The speeds that we recorded were in mph. The guys i race with said its easy now a days to see cars running in the 80s and 90s..It wasnt that easy when i was first racing.lol
wow.. cant even imagine what size parking lot straight you must have. I know I am really old school when it comes to RC cars.. but I dont know why anyone would want to go 1100mph scale speed.. Not to mention when running organized racing you have to focus on the car for 8mins!

Sounds like its run what ya brung! I would look at getting maybe one of those inexpensive Hobbywing combos for what your doing - 35a or 60a with a 9t 365 motor in it.. the motor will be small enough to fit in your old pod. its cheap to start with.. it will go like stink for now.. and when you update the chassis then you can look into a proper 1s brushless setup.

James
Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I was looking at the castle creations 5700 kv motor with esc.Do you think that would serve the purpose for now.i think the hobby shop told me i could get it for around $160 bucks. I think its a combo.