R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 6
Default 12th scale help

I just recently started back into racing and could use some help.Get ready,,,im gonna take you back in time.I am running an associated 12Lw with a tekin formula 10 esc,reedy 11T double and darkforce 5000 mah nimh saddle pack.Im looking to go brushless. I can easily handle what im running now so im looking for more speed but i dont want to be uncontrolable..any help would be appreciated.
jlee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee77 View Post
I just recently started back into racing and could use some help.Get ready,,,im gonna take you back in time.I am running an associated 12Lw with a tekin formula 10 esc,reedy 11T double and darkforce 5000 mah nimh saddle pack.Im looking to go brushless. I can easily handle what im running now so im looking for more speed but i dont want to be uncontrolable..any help would be appreciated.
The first thing you should update is your chassis. You'll want a dedicated 1S car. If you try and buy electronics around your current chassis everything will be a compromise. Start with a good base and you can update everything else slowly. If you turn the saddle into a 4 cell pack you can use all of your current gear with a new car.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee77 View Post
I just recently started back into racing and could use some help.Get ready,,,im gonna take you back in time.I am running an associated 12Lw with a tekin formula 10 esc,reedy 11T double and darkforce 5000 mah nimh saddle pack.Im looking to go brushless. I can easily handle what im running now so im looking for more speed but i dont want to be uncontrolable..any help would be appreciated.
What do the locals that you race with use for motor wind ?

13.5 BL would be a fairly quick option for you
Practically no one races anything but 1s lipo, on link chassis now days

Check the 12th scale info link in my sig for most things 12th related
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 6
Default

Radio active...i plan on setting this car up as what i would call my test car..Which is why im not going lipo in this one.Im using this car as my stepping stone into lipo since ive been out of the hobby for so long.I do plan on getting the associated r5.Red bull..I race with a mix of guys.The ones who are running 12th scale are running lipo with the exception of two and they are brushless.I drive well but i just cant match the speed they are producing.and from what i understand,,kv ratings arent the same for all motor manufacturers so its hard to tell what will get me in the running.All i do know is that we clocked one lipo and one brushless non lipo and the lipo car topped out at 71 and the nimh hit 68..i also dont know what esc,s they are running or how they are tuned.
jlee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee77 View Post
Radio active...i plan on setting this car up as what i would call my test car..Which is why im not going lipo in this one.Im using this car as my stepping stone into lipo since ive been out of the hobby for so long.I do plan on getting the associated r5.Red bull..I race with a mix of guys.The ones who are running 12th scale are running lipo with the exception of two and they are brushless.I drive well but i just cant match the speed they are producing.and from what i understand,,kv ratings arent the same for all motor manufacturers so its hard to tell what will get me in the running.All i do know is that we clocked one lipo and one brushless non lipo and the lipo car topped out at 71 and the nimh hit 68..i also dont know what esc,s they are running or how they are tuned.
kv ratings within the same wind, on different brands are meaningless, ignore that data

It sounds like open motor/esc/battery rules where you race ?
What type of track are you racing on ?

68, 71, what measurement is that in ? ? ?
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 6
Default

wide open modified racing..lol. we race on a new black top parking lot.Its a small club of about 9 of us.There used to be a local rc shop that we raced at years ago and it has since closed down.so for now..since everyone wants to go fast we have a 10th scale open mod class and a 12th scale open mod.I will be looking to get into more serious racing in the spring but this is what we have for now.The speeds that we recorded were in mph. The guys i race with said its easy now a days to see cars running in the 80s and 90s..It wasnt that easy when i was first racing.lol

Last edited by jlee77; 12-30-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: made addition
jlee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Bikerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Bikerbob Send a message via MSN to Bikerbob Send a message via Yahoo to Bikerbob
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee77 View Post
wide open modified racing..lol. we race on a new black top parking lot.Its a small club of about 9 of us.There used to be a local rc shop that we raced at years ago and it has since closed down.so for now..since everyone wants to go fast we have a 10th scale open mod class and a 12th scale open mod.I will be looking to get into more serious racing in the spring but this is what we have for now.The speeds that we recorded were in mph. The guys i race with said its easy now a days to see cars running in the 80s and 90s..It wasnt that easy when i was first racing.lol
wow.. cant even imagine what size parking lot straight you must have. I know I am really old school when it comes to RC cars.. but I dont know why anyone would want to go 1100mph scale speed.. Not to mention when running organized racing you have to focus on the car for 8mins!

Sounds like its run what ya brung! I would look at getting maybe one of those inexpensive Hobbywing combos for what your doing - 35a or 60a with a 9t 365 motor in it.. the motor will be small enough to fit in your old pod. its cheap to start with.. it will go like stink for now.. and when you update the chassis then you can look into a proper 1s brushless setup.

James
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 6
Default

I was looking at the castle creations 5700 kv motor with esc.Do you think that would serve the purpose for now.i think the hobby shop told me i could get it for around $160 bucks. I think its a combo.
jlee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T.O.P Racing's Rebel 1/12th scale Owen RaCing Electric On-Road 1373 12-01-2017 03:21 PM
12th Scale Racing is Alive and Well in So Cal RedBullFiXX California Racing 567 11-20-2017 04:06 PM
M&M Hobbies 1/10th and 1/12th scale touring car track in Houston, TX CristianTabush Texas Racing 953 05-04-2013 05:06 PM
12th scale help Breeze Electric On-Road 6 09-01-2008 10:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:05 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net