Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
NEED HELP!! Steering works for a minute then stops? >

NEED HELP!! Steering works for a minute then stops?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry NEED HELP!! Steering works for a minute then stops?

Hi guys just got my tto1-d type E up an running an i use it for about a minute then the steering acts like the batteries flat? acts really sluggy an hardly turns? i can turn the car off then on an it works for 5-6 turns an does the same thing again? the acceleration works fine evan while the steerings not?
Servo is brand new as well as the batteries

Any more info needed just ask!
Any tips or help would be appreciated
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

What kind of servo and battery? Are you absolutely sure the battery is fully charged?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

some digital servos are very power hungry and can shutdown the rx/esc. spectrum sells a capacitor that plugs into the rx battery plug to help.

maybe radio interference otherwise?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
some digital servos are very power hungry and can shutdown the rx/esc. spectrum sells a capacitor that plugs into the rx battery plug to help.

maybe radio interference otherwise?
Thats what I am thinking. If you just put a new servo in then it is probably a hot one that is power hungry. Novak also makes a Capacitor that plugs in. So does Edge racing and Tekin has some that need a plug soldered on. Any capactior with the right specs will do though. You can get one from Radio Shack and solder the plug on it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

my spectrum is a 4700uf @ 10v. if you find a similar cap at a local supplier get a few of them.
though my spectrum was only $6 from LHS
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah for that money its not worth it to buy your own plug to solder on and shrink wrap.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys i have zippy 5000mah batteries an a New Power servo XL-45hmb 88-metal gear

I think the stock esc cant handle the lipo/high torque servo

Again thanks all for your helpful comments!!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

esc wont care what is supplying it as long as the battery meets its high/low voltage cutoff.
does this happen when the car is on the bench and you give it inputs, or when its further away from you?
it is still possible your esc just cant supply the power your servo needs, so if you have an rx pack you can test with, or know a friend with one, try that, then you can isolate the problem. you might need to temperarily remove the middle wire from the esc/rx plug. or you can just get the cap.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by valk
esc wont care what is supplying it as long as the battery meets its high/low voltage cutoff.
does this happen when the car is on the bench and you give it inputs, or when its further away from you?
it is still possible your esc just cant supply the power your servo needs, so if you have an rx pack you can test with, or know a friend with one, try that, then you can isolate the problem. you might need to temperarily remove the middle wire from the esc/rx plug. or you can just get the cap.
I dont know what an rx pack is sorry.
This happens on the bench or while im tryin to use it i unplugged all from the reciever except the servo an it still does it. i also removed the steering in case it was too heavy or whatever an it still did it with no load i have 2 batteries both full as a fat ladys shoe?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Tech Rookie

bump
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on the possible over draw of power from steering servo and adding a Rx capacitor.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

a rx "reciever" pack is just a battery that goes into the b/c plug on your receiver to power it and servos. nitro cars require one as they dont have an esc to feed power to them.

do you have any friends that run planes/heli's boats or nitro cars? you could borrow one then and just unplug the esc from rx, plug in rx pack and if it still does it, id say something wrong with the servo, or tx/rx.

if you dont understand this stuff though it might be best to just take it to your hobby shop and explain the issue your having, possibly demonstrate it.

but everyone has said rx capacitor, so just get one of those before anything. they cheap and most hobby shops that sell cars should have them.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

drive the car until the servo starts to get slow again and when it does, feel the case of the servo..if its hot, you probably have a bad servo...ive had this happen before. this is probably because the end points are not set correctly and your overheating the servo motor inside the servo...this is pretty common if your new to rc..no worries tho. just turn it down and hopefully it will work for ya..if not, time to warranty the servo and have someone at your LHS help ya out on how to correctly set a servo up. happy wrenching!!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by evader-fan-69
drive the car until the servo starts to get slow again and when it does, feel the case of the servo..if its hot, you probably have a bad servo...ive had this happen before. this is probably because the end points are not set correctly and your overheating the servo motor inside the servo...this is pretty common if your new to rc..no worries tho. just turn it down and hopefully it will work for ya..if not, time to warranty the servo and have someone at your LHS help ya out on how to correctly set a servo up. happy wrenching!!
Thanks all for the help/advice im in the process of gettin it to my lhs as im at work 5 days a week ill be sure to post the problem when i know thanks again all!!