R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default LRP/Reedy/Orion/thunder power lipo packs which is the best

Hi all...just need some opinion/feedback on which pack to get as there are too many good lipo packs available in the market. I will be using these for touring car racing.
Also which is better higher capacity or higher c rating, which packs do factory drivers use?
....thnx in advance to any feedbacks
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
Hi all...just need some opinion/feedback on which pack to get as there are too many good lipo packs available in the market. I will be using these for touring car racing.
Also which is better higher capacity or higher c rating, which packs do factory drivers use?
The Reedy factory team drivers use the Reedy #628 5500 55C or the Reedy #601 6500 65C
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Tech Regular

C-Rating is just marketing. Just ask yourself where do these numbers come from? ;-) They are just estimates, no real 'hard' facts.

Just get yourself some decent batteries (from a good brand) and you are in 80% of the time good to go. LRP, Reedy and Orion are good batteries. Don't know about Thunder Power since I never ran them.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Tech Master

[QUOTE=dennisV;10615939]C-Rating is just marketing. Just ask yourself where do these numbers come from? ;-) They are just estimates, no real 'hard' facts.

actually all these numbers as you call them are not estimates they are all facts about the batteries the C-rating is not just marketing its the continuous discharge rating or basically the power output rating, all the specs and everything are checked and tested before battery is sent out to be sold, just to let you know
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
all the pro drivers are going to be using the best (obviously) like the highest C-rating and MAH rating most of the time as most pro factory drivers run in mod and need the batteries to last long enough for the main and keep a consistent feel and power output through the whole race, i dont use any of these brand lipos but im sure all of them are very good and u wont have any problems with them i use venom 5000mah 40C 2s lipos for racing in stock 2wd buggy and they work awesome ive had them about a year with no problems whatsoever and they always have kept there punch and power out put consistent through races, i couldn't be any happier with venom
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

i have thunder power 6000 65C

gives more power than orion and lrp on 4.0 motor

its lighter than orion and doesn't get bigger
http://www.facebook.com/marc.gad
Marek Gadomski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Mark Rheinhard uses Thunder Power etc.

I think once you have bought a decent pack from any of the manufactures you'll be fine
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
actually all these numbers as you call them are not estimates they are all facts about the batteries the C-rating is not just marketing its the continuous discharge rating or basically the power output rating, all the specs and everything are checked and tested before battery is sent out to be sold, just to let you know
Really! , under what rating of load, what ambient temperature, what wiring/connector combination etc.

There is no standard for measuring the 'C' rating of lipo's, until there is, it is marketing BS!
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have used the Swelly LRP's , the Intellects (ok) and then Orion , these give me the best top speed of all (13.5 blinky )

Why would you need more power with a 4 turn motor ?????

I think all major manufacturers are good quality
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

I think a lot of it depends on what part of the world you are in as well. I know that all brands you listed are exceptional and some not listed are as well. It comes down to what you can get locally or easiest for the best price that fits your budget. But you cant go wrong with any listed.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thunderpower all the way baby !!! Be careful with the other ”recommended” packs ! Paul Lemieux, Marc Rheinard, and others can't be wrong...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Thunderpower all the way baby !!! Be careful with the other ”recommended” packs ! Paul Lemieux, Marc Rheinard, and others can't be wrong...
Yea...because they cant win with any others......Geez....give it a break troll

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
Prove it. Show me a battery pack that can sustain the C rating using the standard interconnection method (either bullet connectors or Deans plugs). Take a video of it and post it for all the world to see. We'll wait.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I have only use thunder power from your list and I found it holds the voltage better as you discharge them. Again, I am only comparing it with the random brands I used to have. Thunder power seems very consistent over my 6 min run
yumlailai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

As long as you buy a brand name battery you really can't go wrong. However, is you have a chance buy a battery which is supported at your local hobby shop because although these are high quality packs, puffing at the first few chargings can happen
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote