Spintec Battery Manager

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spintec Battery Manager

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Did you get your IR numbers from the or another source?

I got my second hand batman today, but dang, the physical condition of this thing couldn't be much worse. Bent heatsink + crushed aligator clips. sigh....
Old 10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Question for Eric Jonk:
I've been testing my batteries after I got the spintec to see what are my good packs. The question is with respect to Avg Voltage and Resistance to see which are the better packs. All my tests have been done with fully charged packs. The following are 2 of my 3300 packs which I have had for 4 months.
Pack #1: Vavg = 7.38V RES = 48.0 mohm Energy = 131 Capacity = 5267
Pack #2 Vavg = 7.43V RES = 33.5 mohm Energy = 107 Capacity = 4272

One conclusion is that the Pack#2 with lower RES has more punch and also because the Vavg is slightly higher (0.05v diff). Pack# has a higher Vavg because of the higher RES.
The other conclusion is that Pack #1 has been charged at lower amps (higher capacity) whereas Pack #2 has been charged at a higher amps to get more punch but lost runtime. Overall then for stock or 19T Pack #2 would be better.

What are your conclusions?

Victor
Old 10-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

Do you remebr the hot discussion about the strange number that I was having from my NiCd 2400 pack ... my BatMan was stating around 4800mAh capacity ... more then what I could see from my GP3300 and GP3700.

I finaly got an hold over a nice power analyzer, and I did monitor the volt and current that the BatMan is getting out of a Pansan3700+ and my Conrad2400.

Here are the included pictures of a short sample. The power analyzer is oversample at 5000 input per second, but only 50 per second can be stored and display ...

What is visible it is that BatMan is discharging with a burst around 12 times per seconds.

What it is interesting it is that the avarage discharge is around 1.25amps (with a Pansan3700) and 0.5amps with NiCd2400. Ok the voltage in the two paks was different, Pansan3700 was 8.5 and in the NiCd2400 was 7.1v.

The big difference in the current, explain me why the BatMan think that there is more capcaity in the NiCd2400 then the reality, this also show me that BatMan has or a bug in the firmware, or it has not enough input data for estimate how many mAh have been taken out from the battery.

SO I guess that Eric did just put in the BatMan an euristic model for calculate the capacity that it is reasonabily good for a limited set up cells and condition ... like GP3300 after a 5min race.

e_lm_70

P.S: Take the number from the BatMan as a fancy gadget ... don't realy use for make decisions ... the BatMan is mainly intendent for refresh old battery ... not for analyze.
Attached Thumbnails Spintec Battery Manager-pansan3700.gif   Spintec Battery Manager-conrad2400.gif  
Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by e_lm_70
... the BatMan is mainly intendent for refresh old battery ... not for analyze.

how about for new packs? do you think its helping it maintain it?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

sanman-G35sc, your conclusions are right, I can not add anything to that. Pack 1 is for runtime, pack 2 for power! The cause of this difference can be lots of things (charge current, peak detection settings, age of the pack...)
Old 10-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Erik,

I am really unlucky with your product, bought it, tried it, discharged it once and the batman died during discharge mode...
I hope that I will be luckier with the new one.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ralf
Erik,

I am really unlucky with your product, bought it, tried it, discharged it once and the batman died during discharge mode...
I hope that I will be luckier with the new one.
not sure this applies but i had one flickering on and off then would not work.... ended up that the wires on the clips were no longer connected and one was loose - tighten up and all has worked fine since. maybe - just maybe yours is the same
Old 10-16-2005, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Ralf, sorry for the problem with your unit. As Rocketron says, you can check the connection between the alligator clips and the wires. But probably something else is wrong, and you should get a new unit as soon as possible. Please see your PM box for details!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Dear Erik,

Few question:

1. Will it harm the BatMan if a sudden cut-off of the supply during the discharge process?

2. Which is better? Discharge the pack before charging or after a race? I've tried to connect the pack to the BatMan before charging, it just show some very low figure and do nothing. I guess the battery have nothing left for it to discharge after the previous process.

3. Do I need to worry about the Equalizing of individual cell? I think someone may have ask the same question before.

4. Any procedure? Which cable connect/disconnect first to the battery? I.e., red first before discharge then black first after discharge?

Many Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MIKA
Dear Erik,

Few question:

1. Will it harm the BatMan if a sudden cut-off of the supply during the discharge process?

2. Which is better? Discharge the pack before charging or after a race? I've tried to connect the pack to the BatMan before charging, it just show some very low figure and do nothing. I guess the battery have nothing left for it to discharge after the previous process.

3. Do I need to worry about the Equalizing of individual cell? I think someone may have ask the same question before.

4. Any procedure? Which cable connect/disconnect first to the battery? I.e., red first before discharge then black first after discharge?

Many Thanks.
Answers:
1) No. Just reconnect and process resumes. But data will be calculated from restart.
2 & 3) Discharge immediate after race. And equalise just before charging.
4) No difference. THe proces just starts after both cables are connected.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had a solder joint on my alligator clip that had come loose, I soldered it and no more isssue. I can't believe how good this unit works, my old packs are much better now.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Mika, Joep has already answered your questions I hope?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Erik Yonk, Do you know when you are going to come out with the 4-cell version?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey Erik Yonk, Do you know when you are going to come out with the 4-cell version?
Indeed, the winter season is beginning....
Old 10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Just purchased one!

Erik -

I am looking forward to getting my Spintec Battery Manager in the mail shortly. I was actively comparing the Spintec one to the Trinity model. The customer service and the way you show the specs on-line of the system won me over. Makes you wonder why Trinity does not list specification as detailed as your product?

I will be testing out some older 6 cell packs and see if there is a difference. I have 4 new packs that I am going to be assembling shortly and see if it helps maintain their "freshness" I have been holding off assembling them until I got the

A guy at my local track in Minnesota has one and the quality and look of it is top notch! It is amazing something the size of a credit card can pull 35 amps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.