Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Makes sense, if it's getting air in from where the carb couples with the case, it will suck the WD40 in. Gonna check mine out today. I refuse to believe this engine is that damn difficult to get working correctly.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by gonzoY5
Makes sense, if it's getting air in from where the carb couples with the case, it will suck the WD40 in. Gonna check mine out today. I refuse to believe this engine is that damn difficult to get working correctly.
come to your senses and be a believer!!!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

OH I am, getting the JP ready again in case I need to take it out at Regionals
Old 04-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by gonzoY5
OH I am, getting the JP ready again in case I need to take it out at Regionals
eric
i have an arsenial if you need engines... i have a couple x12 mod jp and just got a max, also got two jp fxt03... so if you need help with an engine, you can borrow one of mine... i got the reservation for the hotel as well... it should be a good race.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Two piccos blow their conrod yesterday. One during A Main practice, and one after 15-20 minutes of racing. Maybe the 1 gallon 1 conrod rumour is true

One thing strange happened, after 1st refuelling on A Main, suddenly my friend's Mega is faster and scream more on the straight. And after another refuelling, it even more faster with a blistering sound and easily put more gap on other's car. 3rd refuelling, and again speed improved by putting best lap time a couple times and then stalled at the end of the straight with a broken conrod. Don't know what went wrong. Maybe carburetor, plugs or fuel problem?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by daniz24
Two piccos blow their conrod yesterday. One during A Main practice, and one after 15-20 minutes of racing. Maybe the 1 gallon 1 conrod rumour is true

One thing strange happened, after 1st refuelling on A Main, suddenly my friend's Mega is faster and scream more on the straight. And after another refuelling, it even more faster with a blistering sound and easily put more gap on other's car. 3rd refuelling, and again speed improved by putting best lap time a couple times and then stalled at the end of the straight with a broken conrod. Don't know what went wrong. Maybe carburetor, plugs or fuel problem?
i dont think it has anything to do with the carb, fuel, or plug. this engines just has bad conrods. i have seend 4 break in just the few times i have seen people drive them.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nothing wrong with carb, plugs or fuel. This has been a common Picco problem with not using the right alloy for as long as they have been going. Serpent recommend changing the conrod after every hour of use. So effectively after each race meeting if you do a lot of practise.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Quoted instead of editing.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Ive been advised on changing rod every 2 hours of run time. I did about 2 1/2 hours on mine and have now changed it. Good job they are cheap.They do have loads of power . 1 hours is only about 9 tanks which seems abit extreme to me.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So, even thought these engines are "cheaper", you pay more in the long run. IF you have to replace the conrod every 2 hours, thats about $50 a month for me. You're basicaly paying for the life of the engine. Its better to buy an engine that is more expensive now, but you wont have to keep shelling out to buy conrods for it. Pay a little now, or a lot later.

Also, you're paying for their R&D.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Tech Addict

oh no.. which is it 1hour or one gallon of fuel per rod...? the time frame keeps getting shorter here maybe we need to replace them after we look at them out of the box!

on a serious note, i have put roughly a gallon through mine which would work out at how many litres roughly in the vacinity of 4.5L? i dont have a converter ready at hand atm...

is the problem that the alloy the conrod is made out of simply lets go and gives up the ghost? or are we talking about wear on bushes which in turn causes premature engine "pop"?

all internals are wearing nicely - what you would expect anyhow for the time running, so i am interested to know where they "let go" if anyones got photo's etc. might have to become a regular maintainence item if i intend to run this engine more often.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It always been like that regardless brand. I mean right before conrod blew up engine start generating a lot of power, much more then usualy. I have never heard any scientific expalnation for this mistery, but saw many many times in my expirience in the past and lately. Because it always happenning almost instantly we never been able to catch that moment. Just to be more caution, if you see engine start generating a lot of power without good reason, try to stop it right away and check conrod, most likely it will blew up very soon.
Edward
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
It always been like that regardless brand. I mean right before conrod blew up engine start generating a lot of power, much more then usualy. I have never heard any scientific expalnation for this mistery, but saw many many times in my expirience in the past and lately. Because it always happenning almost instantly we never been able to catch that moment. Just to be more caution, if you see engine start generating a lot of power without good reason, try to stop it right away and check conrod, most likely it will blew up very soon.
Edward
you are correct, conrods go bad in all engines. but a novarossi will last atleast 4 gallons of fuel. they recommend to change after break in, i have never done this and never broke a conrod in a novarossi.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by joemugen
you are correct, conrods go bad in all engines. but a novarossi will last atleast 4 gallons of fuel. they recommend to change after break in, i have never done this and never broke a conrod in a novarossi.
I saw conrods blew up on every single brand, including airmodeling and boating-no one brand has insurance. Some of the brands is better, some of them really bad, but again it does happened to every single brand-no exceptions. I think it depends of price-more expencive last longer, due the high cost of materials. Not every bronze will work there, not every Al alloy will stay on conrod. If something cheap-it means cost of production is cheap, materials are cheap, so low quality.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I saw conrods blew up on every single brand, including airmodeling and boating-no one brand has insurance. Some of the brands is better, some of them really bad, but again it does happened to every single brand-no exceptions. I think it depends of price-more expencive last longer, due the high cost of materials. Not every bronze will work there, not every Al alloy will stay on conrod. If something cheap-it means cost of production is cheap, materials are cheap, so low quality.
does your BRB sets include a conrod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.