Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Motor Torque Effect

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

An interesting experiment (once the wheels are off), as it shows that even though the drivetrain is going a lot slower than the rotor (due to the gear ratio), the fact its heavier and that the diffs have a large diameter mean the drivetrain creates a bigger force than the rotor does.
That's why I'm wondering what people mean when they say they notice less torque effect when changing from brushed to brushless. The transmission weight seems to overwhelm any rotor weight effect (brushed or brushless).

I put the belt car on 4 scales, no tires, but transmission connected. I noticed about +10gms on each rear wheel and -10grams on each front wheel during acceleration.

Will test with a shaft drive this Sunday with Cocojam.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rccartips
That's why I'm wondering what people mean when they say they notice less torque effect when changing from brushed to brushless. The transmission weight seems to overwhelm any rotor weight effect (brushed or brushless).

I put the belt car on 4 scales, no tires, but transmission connected. I noticed about +10gms on each rear wheel and -10grams on each front wheel during acceleration.

Will test with a shaft drive this Sunday with Cocojam.

i doubt the drivetrain will overwhelm the rotor weight, it's likely to be the tires. plus, not only are rotors (BL) lighter than armatures (brushed), rotors are also smaller in diameter (lower moment) which further lessens the torque effect.

with belt-driven cars, the motor is placed perpendicularly to the drivetrain. so if there's any changes in balance, it would only be from Front>Rear (motor,drivetrain, and wheels). whereas in shaft-driven cars, the motor is parallel to the drivetrain so balance is shifted from 1.) Front>Rear (wheels/drivetrain) and 2.) Left>Right (motor i.e. torque steer).

but in my experience, I haven't really noticed any significant torque steer in my shaft car with boosted 13.5.