Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Very passionate discussion going on here. Obviously their are some key issues that the racing community would like to see resolved concerning Spec/Blinky classes. Seems to me like a Locked endbell motor, spec tire, max FDR and open ESC would be the way to go. Focus on the aspects that can easily and affordably be evaluated in Tech and leave ESC's & LiPo's up to the racers choosing.
I agree with everything but the max FDR.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Or you could just hand out a LOCKED motor and go open esc........

Way easier for race management........
Great, just what we need. Back in the day when Trinity sponsored just about every stock class at every major race, and even minor races around the country...

You enter a race and buy the max amount of allotted stock motors, run them all in practice, or get one of the few people to run them on a dyno, and pray you got a fast one. Then when the race is over, you go home and try to unload the rest of the duds and not as good motors on everyone around you... not fun or cost effective. Way to keep racing costs in check. I wish I had the talent to race mod.

I am totally against locked motors.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Noone has caught up to Tekin in the Timing classes. I would venture to say that 95 percent of the top 30 in the Boosted 17.5 class at the IIC were running tekin speedos.

I tried to run an lrp stock spec and that didnt work. It wasnt fast enough and if it was it would blow up motors. Tekin still owns the boosted classes and that is fact. Good for them they did their homework and are reaping the rewards.
I mentioned other brands seem to have "caught up" in quotations because I was trying to avoid the whole "X Y Z speedo is/isn't any faster where I run" side of things.

Some guys are faster overall with a smoother speedo than the Tekin, and those that really put the time in to be fast and smooth with the RS aren't lacking power compared to anything else.

One thing I really know is when I first got back into electric, you had to gear so the motor was 185*F + or you weren't fast. As it stands now, if my motor is over 140 at the end of a run, I look for something wrong in the car [bad bearing, etc], because I'm not hurting for speed locally, and my day isn't over if my favorite fan burns up, because I don't need one!

I'm looking to finally be able to start hitting bigger national races after the new year, and boosted classes are the only way they'll get my entry fee.

Blinky hasn't changed finishing order, doesn't seem to have made anything cheaper, but multi-car pileups sure are more spectacular.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Very passionate discussion going on here. Obviously their are some key issues that the racing community would like to see resolved concerning Spec/Blinky classes. Seems to me like a Locked endbell motor, spec tire, max FDR and open ESC would be the way to go. Focus on the aspects that can easily and affordably be evaluated in Tech and leave ESC's & LiPo's up to the racers choosing.
I don't see that solving anything, as you'll still have the ESC/motor wars going strong (and growing) while everything else is a spec class.

Do you really want to do more spec racing? Hasn't every spec series ever died (sooner or later)?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaycerc
I don't see that solving anything, as you'll still have the ESC/motor wars going strong (and growing) while everything else is a spec class.

Do you really want to do more spec racing? Hasn't every spec series ever died (sooner or later)?
Don't forget fresh batts, bearings, tires. We want every advantage right? Remind me why we can't just have slower motors with boost or one cell racing for the really slow inclined?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tallyrc
Don't forget fresh batts, bearings, tires. We want every advantage right? Remind me why we can't just have slower motors with boost or one cell racing for the really slow inclined?
I guess you don't remember 6-cell racing when cars were really fast, and that the tech advances in recent years have us nearly back there.

Originally Posted by al dente
But the fact still remains the same. Any speedo that can have software loaded at the track should be banned from blinky, and there are different versions of 212.
That would do it, get rid of all the trackside fiddling and laptop shennanigans and the ESC wars would end and some sense of normalcy would have a chance of returning.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

The appeal of Blinky is the slower, more controllable speeds that appeal to a wider range of racers. Just need to find out what wind to apply to get stock speeds with an Open ESC. (21.5, 25.5) Boosted is so much easier on equipment and it places a lot less emphasis on "Top Shelf" gear.

Vote boosted in 2012 and avoid further Blinking Light, Hidden Timing drama.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Boosted is so much easier on equipment.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Its because of the size of the track you race on....larger tracks the HobbyWing or Speedpassion ESC's will be faster. On Smaller tracks here in the US its the opposite.
Re-read the first part. It is on a small indoor track with 70-80 feet straight.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I still don't understand this whole desire to go with locked timing motors. Maybe it makes sense for blinky but why would you want it for boost? In boosted, it makes no difference, doesn't make anything slower or faster. Just requires a bit of a change in speedo setting. Hell, I wish I could get LESS timing on my LRP motors in boosted.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tallyrc
Don't forget fresh batts, bearings, tires. We want every advantage right?
Yeah, people tend to forget that a lot of effort goes into ALL the areas of a race car to get the max out of it as a whole. Them bearings must spin freely, no binding anywhere, tyres prep'd correctly. That will have more of an effect than a couple of extra few rpm's from some dodgy software that might get you thrown out of a big meeting some place!

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
Yeah, people tend to forget that a lot of effort goes into ALL the areas of a race car to get the max out of it as a whole. Them bearings must spin freely, no binding anywhere, tyres prep'd correctly.
IMO, that is the single most important factor of all right there. How long before everyone starts screaming to ban sauce so organizers have to bring a spectrometer to the track to catch the cheaters like EFRA/IFMAR on the fuel side.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Larry, I only run Novak Gtb esc's and have never blown one. I also use a 3.5t in mod fttc4, and the speedo and motor are so cool at the end of the 6minute runs that I ordered a kinetic to add some timing(10°) from 45000rpm up to 50000rpm.With the gtb, I am not losing anything on the top end to the tekins and SP that I race against. I believe the kinetic will handle it well. On the bottom end though the gtb 3.5t kills everybody, and when you add the small timing(2° to 10°) at the top end with the kinetic, it will be over for tekin or Sp ! I think Novak is better suited for shaft cars with low friction bearings, and seem to smoke in belt cars ......
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

By the way, I know Novak does not recommend adding timing to a 3.5t ,but what the heck, I still think it will work !
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

He who has the most esc's wins. I knew I should have run an orca at iic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.