R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator
Default Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC

Would like to hear some thoughts on what is the fastest ESC in blinky/spec mode.

Some say the Tekin RS/RS Pro, others have said the LRP SXX Stock Spec ver. 2, and have also heard that the Viper ESC is right up there. We all know that not all ESC's are built the same, so even in spec mode, there must be some variances.

Would like to hear some thoughts based on experiences. Have a big oval race coming up and want to have the best ESC for it.
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

After being at the IIC this past week i would say the Orca speedo is the fastest blinky speedo out there right now in touring car. I dont know if anyone was running it in 1/12 scale. I have a friend that bought one and it was missle compared to his Tekin. Make sure if you decide to buy one you check with sanctioning body of the race you are attending to make sure it's legal. I think it's not roar approved yet.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
After being at the IIC this past week i would say the Orca speedo is the fastest blinky speedo out there right now in touring car. I dont know if anyone was running it in 1/12 scale. I have a friend that bought one and it was missle compared to his Tekin. Make sure if you decide to buy one you check with sanctioning body of the race you are attending to make sure it's legal. I think it's not roar approved yet.
Just a question....why would a ESC thats not ROAR approved be allowed to race at the IIC in the blinky class? Is this the same Orca ESC that was banned by ROAR for what ever reason after what went down at the Carpet Nats earlier this year?

I just looked there are no ORCA esc's on the ROAR list of approved ESC's at this point.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator

I have heard that about the Orca ESC. This race is using Roar rules as guidelines for ESC's, so its gotta be Roar Legal.
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Just a question....why would a ESC thats not ROAR approved be allowed to race at the IIC in the blinky class? Is this the same Orca ESC that was banned by ROAR for what ever reason after what went down at the Carpet Nats earlier this year?

I just looked there are no ORCA esc's on the ROAR list of approved ESC's at this point.
I cant even tell you. all i can say is it's fast.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Doesn't that defeat the whole "blinky" concept and throw everyone back into the speedo wars?
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not sure about the ORCA ESC on "Blinky' mode, but the guys I know using their boosted ESC's are extremely fast. Noticeably faster than the field IMO as a spectator/marshall. I've been using Novak GTB & GTB2 for Spec class and I'm pretty sure the GTB is faster. I haven't used Tekin's but they must be popular for a reason My next ESC's are going to be Speed Passions, Boosted & Spec.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

The fastest spec speed control is the one that is in the car that is setup to carry the most corner speed in the hands of a good driver.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Locally in blicky VTA my Black diamond hasnt been beat yet, noticably more punch too! The Viper ESC or even HW had the same power also. I think the motor is more important in Blinky mode.

Team Yokomo - Racing Performer - Sweep Racing
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
The fastest spec speed control is the one that is in the car that is setup to carry the most corner speed in the hands of a good driver.
correct answer.

for technical validity to the statement above:

as i recall, ROAR specifies that a specific waveform needs to be exhibited by the output of a 'spec' esc. if this is met, i would like to know how one output is better than another. i'm not saying there aren't other variables, but i would deduce that this would be 99+% accountable for governing how the battery's energy gets to the motor.

so, if there's an intelligent discussion to take place, have at it. (and don't start down the path of completely meaningless specs like on resistance or whatever else you should know better than to believe makes a difference). too many times, though, these are the type of subjects that are fueled by ignorance, and accomplishes nothing positive for the individual or the hobby itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC-roar-brca-zerotiming.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Doesn't that defeat the whole "blinky" concept and throw everyone back into the speedo wars?
Dave this is the reason for the ROAR approval process...once its approved they are all equal. One isnt faster then the next they might each have their own "feel" but one isnt faster. If this ORCA is faster like people are claiming then this might be the reason its not ROAR approved at this point and why it was banned by ROAR until it meets its specs. I just fail to see the logic that would allow this ESC to be raced at such an event as the IIC against other ESC's that are with in ROAR specs and approved.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
Not sure about the ORCA ESC on "Blinky' mode, but the guys I know using their boosted ESC's are extremely fast. Noticeably faster than the field IMO as a spectator/marshall.
Hey Mark. Around here I think it's more a case of nearly all the best local drivers happen to like ORCA or are sponsored by ORCA. For out of the corner punch and top end in boosted classes, a Tekin RS is easily as fast, if not faster. Not as smooth as ORCA though.

I've never used my ORCA VTC mk.II for blinky racing since it's not ROAR approved and I like to keep my cars as legal as possible to minimize claims of cheating, so I use my old Tekin RS pro running vegas 212 for blinky.

Quote:
+1 Very true Rob. You proved a couple of weeks ago that you don't need the fastest car (in a straight line) to win by a large margin.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
That is true but some speedos have been known to have a little extra. The "Friend" i am talking about clearly was faster on the straight when check with a radar gun and it clearly had more out of the corners. That was same driver and same setup. If i didnt have a crap week with my touring car at IIC i would have jumped on the band wagon.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Dave this is the reason for the ROAR approval process...once its approved they are all equal. One isnt faster then the next they might each have their own "feel" but one isnt faster. If this ORCA is faster like people are claiming then this might be the reason its not ROAR approved at this point and why it was banned by ROAR until it meets its specs. I just fail to see the logic that would allow this ESC to be raced at such an event as the IIC against other ESC's that are with in ROAR specs and approved.
It was On the ROAR list for a while and they submitted new software. That new software was not approved as it had timing in it. They used it anyway at the ROAR Carpet nats and was banned from ROAR when caught.

I am not sure what software they used at the IIC but it was fast. Brad Johnson was 2nd with a speed passion and I thought he was just as fast though on the straight (where timing would show up mostly).

I have a guess as to why it was allowed but will refrain from posting.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
It was On the ROAR list for a while and they submitted new software. That new software was not approved as it had timing in it. They used it anyway at the ROAR Carpet nats and was banned from ROAR when caught.

I am not sure what software they used at the IIC but it was fast. Brad Johnson was 2nd with a speed passion and I thought he was just as fast though on the straight (where timing would show up mostly).

I have a guess as to why it was allowed but will refrain from posting.

EA
+1
________
leighton lederer
spammy is offline   Reply With Quote