GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

So I went to the track yesterday and made alot of changes to the car overall.

I raised the roll centers...
changed the the camber to 1mm in the front and 2mm in the back..
Ride hight ended up being 9mm FRNT.. 12mm in the back
Frnt droop is about 2mm..
Rear is 4mm...

Sweep tires
I used the 50's
temp was a cool 65 deg's
These tires really needed to warm up.. it would not steer until I got some heat in them.... After that, they were great! Car was predictable and as long as you didnt drive it like a idiot they stayed pretty consistant....
We ran 3 tanks thru the car.. just to see how they would hold up in race conditions... seem fine...
Oh... And the brakes are great!! I no problem geeting the car shut down... I did have someone full my car and they must have got fuel on the brakes... yea..I barely made it thru turn one...

Overall the car is great.. easy to drive... 19-20 second laps.. I see these going down by a full second to two seconds with warmer weather, better track conditions and a taller second gear...I am running out of motor about 2/3 down the straight..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Clete, did you get premounted tires from Mark? Or do we have to glue them?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Clete, did you get premounted tires from Mark? Or do we have to glue them?
The tires from Sweep are pre-mounted ...
the ones in the kit you need to glue..I can help with this.. it's kinda a pain but I have a method that works...
I glue the foam insert ends together, and insert the tire and foams to the rim...then I spin, on/off on the tire truer...to get the foam even on the inside of the tire.. then use a rubberized tire glue... and FU with a thin.... sounds like a pain.. but it works out well.. But you dont NEED to mount them.. Mark has tires in stock....50exp..
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

For 65 degree temps you would really love to be running on 35 or maybe 40 shore rubber. You'd be surprised.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
The tires from Sweep are pre-mounted ...
the ones in the kit you need to glue..I can help with this.. it's kinda a pain but I have a method that works...
I glue the foam insert ends together, and insert the tire and foams to the rim...then I spin, on/off on the tire truer...to get the foam even on the inside of the tire.. then use a rubberized tire glue... and FU with a thin.... sounds like a pain.. but it works out well.. But you dont NEED to mount them.. Mark has tires in stock....50exp..
How much for the set? Im not gluing anything I dont have to.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
For 65 degree temps you would really love to be running on 35 or maybe 40 shore rubber. You'd be surprised.

This is something that i learned from Jeff and i apply when i race GT with Alpha RC Tires too ... with good setup on your car and lower shore (softer tire), the performance is AMAZING ... and as you will not have too much drifting due to good setup, the car will be glued to the track ...

I remember when i tested Ipanema's and was trying to use medium-hard compounds based on weather and Jeff told me to go lower shores and WOW, grip came as a slap on the face, then i had to setup my car to have less grip ...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Its all about really knowing the different rubber shore options available to you and how they manage surface heat. Not hot enough or too over heated = slip & slide. Get it correct & nobody can touch you.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

The cost is $ 56 a set and they should last about 3 races.. or so I am told... each surface will be differnt..

As far as shore....how long are your mains? we run a 30 min main... The 50's came off warm and worked really well, after I got a lap or two on them.. I am open to try softer tires... just trying to gather as much intel as I can ..this track is not baby butt smooth either, kind of coarse...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

At our GT only events we run 45 minute A mains and 30 minute B's.

All I was saying is that 50 shore in 65 degree weather is kinda too hard to perform at peak; just imagine how 80 to 90 degree heat would react to the same rubber material?

Heat management is everything in GT racing, its something you'll just pick up on as you get deeper into it.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jspeed
At our GT only events we run 45 minute A mains and 30 minute B's.

All I was saying is that 50 shore in 65 degree weather is kinda too hard to perform at peak; just imagine how 80 to 90 degree heat would react to the same rubber material?

Heat management is everything in GT racing, its something you'll just pick up on as you get deeper into it.

100% agree with Jeff on this one (wow Jeff, take a picture of this paragraph and frame it lol !!) ... but if too high shore numbers are needed, maybe the shore-numbering method is not the same for all brands.

At the end, Heat Management is the main thing on GT as you are racing on rubbers just as real cars.

cya !
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Patricio, come on, you & I have agreed many times before, just sometimes your wrong, lol just kiddin'

I always laugh when someone says that this or that rubber shore works from 50 to 100 degrees, its total bs, like they're made out of "spandex" or something, lol
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Engine rules

I have been debating going with either the RTR .28 from the DM1 or buying a less than $200 .21 engine. Locally a few of the guys including Clete have gone with the Novarossi N21R limited (Amain $144 but out of stock). It has proven to be hard to find in stock.

I have seen a few different motors out there that seem to fit the bill:
RB Concept Sport 10 .21 3 port $161.99
OS .21VG 3 port $159.99
Novarossi .21 P3XS $159.99 Absolute, $199 Stormer, $209 Amain.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone out there have experience with any of these?
2. How do you address the pricing rule when some sites are over $200 and some are below?
3. Has anyone put together a list of "SPEC" .21 motors that compete well with the .28 RTR?
4. In general what are faster the .28 RTRs or the .21 3 ports or are they a good match?
5. Have any .21 3 port motors under $200 been outlawed?

Thanks,

Troy
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

my opinion the 3 ports not enough if you go the .21 route..i perfer 5 or 7 port .21 for all track condition plus the dm-1 is little weight(heavier) than other gt cars you will need the torque
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
I have been debating going with either the RTR .28 from the DM1 or buying a less than $200 .21 engine. Locally a few of the guys including Clete have gone with the Novarossi N21R limited (Amain $144 but out of stock). It has proven to be hard to find in stock.

I have seen a few different motors out there that seem to fit the bill:
RB Concept Sport 10 .21 3 port $161.99
OS .21VG 3 port $159.99
Novarossi .21 P3XS $159.99 Absolute, $199 Stormer, $209 Amain.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone out there have experience with any of these?
2. How do you address the pricing rule when some sites are over $200 and some are below?
3. Has anyone put together a list of "SPEC" .21 motors that compete well with the .28 RTR?
4. In general what are faster the .28 RTRs or the .21 3 ports or are they a good match?
5. Have any .21 3 port motors under $200 been outlawed?

Thanks,

Troy
At the big race in Mexico apparently the little OS .21 VG did very well...with the stock pipe. I would stick with the OS or Novarossi engines. JMO
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

i race for GO Engines ... very good 3 and 5 ports for GT, awesome the 7 ports and they are all around US$ 250 ... US$ 200 seems to be too low for having alternatives.

My personal opinion is limit by US$ like "300" but no number of ports or one-brand ...

cya !, go burn some nitro !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.