Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Smile GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information

Hey guys,

We are starting a new class in the Northwest for the GT's. We want a low cost nitro car for the "New to Nitro" guy/gal to enjoy...A farm class for the other 1/8 nitro class, if you will.
SO....here’s our basic rules..

1. 1/8 scale GT type cars, RTR are fine, even if a .28, pull start only.
a) We recommend .21/ 3 port motors, easy to tune and inexpensive.
2. Sweep Tires 45/50...this may change due to availability, but Sweep has been very good to us as a club.
3. Clutch modification are allowed
4. Brake modifications are allowed
5. 5 min Qualifiers with 30 min mains.
6. Racer must be able to laugh and have fun, whining and bitching is not allowed and you will be DNF’ed
Easy Cheesy!!!
If you want to share setups with us and advice, we would love to hear your input. Please share photos and Video.. and enjoy!
If you want to sell you products great, but if you start causing problems, and create a problem for other vendors, leave. We are here to have fun..bench race and share stories and information about a Hobby/Sport that we love..
Cheers,
Clete
Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good Luck and enjoy 1/8th racing.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Clete,

Wish you all the best with your new thread and GT group.

On the subject of advice:

If you want to attempt to attract many of the racers that have attend our GT Only events from around the world, you might want to consider dropping your tire rule from the start. In the end it will only lower attendance and that is years of real GT event experence talking, ok.

You might want to also think about getting on the same page with the Midwest Series GT rules too. They're the oldest racing series in America and have a solid "Spec" class right now.

We're also thinking of following the same set of rules for our "GT Spec" class. This will help put all of America on the same page.

Here's the link to the Midwest Series GT rules:

http://www.midwestseries.com/welcome.html

All the best, good luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Clete,

Wish you all the best with your new thread and GT group.

On the subject of advice:

If you want to attempt to attract many of the racers that have attend our GT Only events from around the world, you might want to consider dropping your tire rule from the start. In the end it will only lower attendance and that is years of real GT event experence talking, ok.

You might want to also think about getting on the same page with the Midwest Series GT rules too. They're the oldest racing series in America and have a solid "Spec" class right now.

We're also thinking of following the same set of rules for our "GT Spec" class. This will help put all of America on the same page.

Here's the link to the Midwest Series GT rules:

http://www.midwestseries.com/welcome.html

All the best, good luck!
JT,
Thank you for your time.. I will look up that link and bring the rules up to the rest of the racers in our group... right now we are wide open but trying to adopt a cost effective and simple format...

Thanks Again!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Mid-West Rules

Chassis : Any 1/8 scale buggy based shaft driven nitro powered car. (Any off-road conversion is OK)

Body : Any commercially available GT style body.
1. Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. Rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and can not be completely cut out.

Tires : Any commercially available rubber (No foam based tires allowed) GT style tires are OK.
1.Any insert is OK.
2.All tires must fit under the body. (No addition of wheel flares)
3.No electronics may be added to aid in vehicle stability.
4.Wide rear tires will be allowed.

Engine : Any .28 or smaller displacement “spec” style engine.
1.All factory installed internal parts with NO modifications.
2.Must be commercially available.
3.Regular price suggested to be under $200 not including tax. (Use Tower Hobbies, Stormer Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies or any other large retail store as price reference.)

Pipes : Any tuned pipe is OK.

JSpeed,

Thank you... I like the simplicity and will most likey just adopt these, until ROAR steps in .... Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
JT,
Thank you for your time.. I will look up that link and bring the rules up to the rest of the racers in our group... right now we are wide open but trying to adopt a cost effective and simple format...

Thanks Again!!!
Clete,

We all Americans, no need for anymore infighting with the established hard core GT races around our country.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, the Midwest Series rules are pretty good. We tried a spec tire and motor last year at Leisure Hours Raceway and some people might not have come because of it. We are running rules almost like the Midwest Series this year. It sounds like we have a lot more interest this year than last.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Clete, what springs are you using? Did you get the the brakes from nitrohouse, OFN36659 for the pads and OFN49009 for the disc. Anything else I need to get?

FNG
We use White in the front with 1000 diff lube....
Camber is 2deg .. reduce per tire wear pattern
ride hight of 10mm to start
Droop 1-2 mm

Red in the back with 100 shock oil
13mm ride hight
2Deg. of camber
Droop 3mm

Mike has a good system for setting the front... give me or mike a call and we can either walk you thru it.. or you can come over and I'll help you do it...
I dont know the part numbers.. I got them from nitro house... get the "special cut" disk... i have an extra if you want to save a few bucks... and get the high end pads.. $23.00!... Mikes worked really well...
Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had to be different....Ordered up the ferrari body. I figure all the RTR's are painted grey, and it looks like there will be enough of them. Subaru body looks cool and inexpensive, might be more of a draw for the younger crowd
Old 05-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
I had to be different....Ordered up the ferrari body. I figure all the RTR's are painted grey, and it looks like there will be enough of them. Subaru body looks cool and inexpensive, might be more of a draw for the younger crowd
Sweet.. I will be good to see different cars on the grid... I am heading up to TZ to do some testing tomorrow.. new brakes and new setup... let see if it all works together,..
Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

If you need better brakes you can also use RC8 or RC8T brake disks they work great. You have to have a Dremel to make them work but they are worth it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default specs

what size holes are allowed in the windshield of bodies for fueling and in the rear window for cooling or is there a set rule on a warrior are most places allowing the cuttingg of the rear of the body clear to the top or should we keep the tail lights on them how about side windows cut out or not any help thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default may i replace

hello guy i would like to know if anybody can tell me , if can put piston sleeve and con rod from os speed .21 vz-b spec to my os max vz-b spec .21 if anybody know about this please let me know thanks guy
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default gettin rdy

Just picked up the gt2/Sirio kit have diffs built and installed on chassis so far
Should be up and running by memorial weekend
I work a lot so only track ill be racing at most of summer is Leisure hrs in joliet illinois
So anyways be rdy for Dnf Don
He's BIG He's MEAN and he CAN'T drive lol
Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gomer3245
what size holes are allowed in the windshield of bodies for fueling and in the rear window for cooling or is there a set rule on a warrior are most places allowing the cuttingg of the rear of the body clear to the top or should we keep the tail lights on them how about side windows cut out or not any help thanks
There are not any ROAR rules as yet... I went ahead and put 3" holes in front and rear... I run an offroad motor in my car it runs about 212 Degs....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.