Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks, G-rem. I am sticking with the TQ racing mod.

John, appreciate it, sir.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Just need to wait for my mate to paint the driver (Bottas) and it will be all done. Stickers took a long time to do but I think it's worth it =]

Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Love it
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Quantra
Just need to wait for my mate to paint the driver (Bottas) and it will be all done. Stickers took a long time to do but I think it's worth it =]
Gorgeous car Quantra!.
Stopped dead in my tracks on my FGX build. 2 spacers missing form Bag#6, M5x7x0.2mm Spacers not in the bag. Will skip this step and move on but the rear suspension cannot function without it so I am a little bummed.
I hope RCMart will sort me out quick, not your run of the mill washer you can find everywhere either. Damn
Old 06-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks =]

Those shims are same size as tamiya 53587, that is for a pack with 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm thicknesses but might help if you can't get the parts replaced by rcmart quick enough =] They are used in other places on the car like the gear shaft between spur and diff, so maybe you will have a couple spare in another bag.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks =]

Those shims are same size as tamiya 53587, that is for a pack with 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm thicknesses but might help if you can't get the parts replaced by rcmart quick enough =] They are used in other places on the car like the gear shaft between spur and diff, so maybe you will have a couple spare in another bag.
Thanks Vince, will try that. Cheers,
Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Had mine on the track for a couple of races now, it's getting there but still got some problems I need to sort out.

The main problem I ask for help with is the rear shocks. I can't get them to seal even with liberal amounts of green slime so I would like to change them but I don't know what my options are due to the very long thin piston rods. Would someone mind giving me a run down of what shocks I can use with the stock piston rods or what shocks have piston rods long enough, please.

Also I am running 1500CST oil and 2 hole pistons currently so would be great to get some guidance on equivalent oil/piston combo with the new shocks.

TIA! Having a lot of fun with this car so far =]
Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had mine on the track for a couple of races now, it's getting there but still got some problems I need to sort out.

The main problem I ask for help with is the rear shocks. I can't get them to seal even with liberal amounts of green slime so I would like to change them but I don't know what my options are due to the very long thin piston rods. Would someone mind giving me a run down of what shocks I can use with the stock piston rods or what shocks have piston rods long enough, please.

Also I am running 1500CST oil and 2 hole pistons currently so would be great to get some guidance on equivalent oil/piston combo with the new shocks.

When you disassembled the factory shocks did you make sure to cut the little burs off of the plastic spacers? I found that after I did this, they were much smoother and didn't leak profusely

I'm don't remember the exact specifics, but I remember people using the Associated RC18 shocks. Search for info about those and I'd bet you'll find something helpful.

-melon
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi,

you can use with succes team AE RC18T2 rear shocks: #21217. They fit perfectly with the genuine shock rod. But you won't have no choice to use the piston that are delivered with them, the one of the FGX are a bit too large for the AE boby shock...

I advise you to combine them with Tamiya F201 shock spring set, this will give you a good combinaison for your rear shock absorber

Best regards,
G-rem
Old 06-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks very much, I take it they are the only real option? I can't find anything else. Also looks like I can get a set of them for the front too which might be nice to have some spring options on that end of the car. Do you suggest using the F201 springs for the front too?

I'm getting quite a lot of tyre squeal with my car at the moment, this is on med grip carpet. I now have a ball diff to try so I'm hoping that's going to help but I'm also thinking about trying some other (rubber) tyres. Any suggestions? Currently using pit shimizu grooved soft tyres.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

No, this is not the only option but this is that one I choose and it works fine. You can try other shocks but you will have to find a shock rod compatible with the rear suspension of the FGX, which is not that easy...

For the front, if you use the stock top deck for IFS, you can also get the short version of the AE shocks absorber (#21216). You don't need the same as the rear because the suspension travel is much more limited.

You can combine them with the original rear kit spring and #800 oil, it will work fine. But you will have to drill two holes in the top deck and buy some 4mm ball studs to mount it.

You will also have to extend a bit the length of the front shock rod and place some bits of plastic to shorten the length of the spring and you will have to replace the little turnbuckle from the arm to the lever by a longer one to compensate (it is a bit confused like that, but I'm going to write a full step by step review of all the modifications I did on my FGX once I get my new carbon fiber chassis to turn the transmission into a belt drive one)

Some pics of mine to wait

Cheers,
G-rem
Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Nice one, thanks for your help I appreciate it.

I can't find any piston rods long enough to use another shock so I will try the AE ones as I can get them locally too.

I'll give the front ones a go too, I'm using stock upper deck so drilling holes shouldn't be a problem. Not sure what I'd use to shorten the length of the spring but I'm sure I'll find something. Perhaps it is worth ordering the plastics tree with plastic tubes that go over the rear piston rods so I can cut those down to suit.

As for tyres I think I will treat myself and get a selection to try. I've got my eye on the following...

Shimizu grooved soft front
Shimizu grooved med front
Shimizu grooved soft rear

Shimizu slick soft front
Shimizu slick med front
Shimizu slick soft rear

Ride super soft front
Ride soft front
Ride super soft rear
Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nice one, thanks for your help I appreciate it.
Thanks

I can't find any piston rods long enough to use another shock so I will try the AE ones as I can get them locally too.
And they are also very cheap

I'll give the front ones a go too, I'm using stock upper deck so drilling holes shouldn't be a problem. Not sure what I'd use to shorten the length of the spring but I'm sure I'll find something. Perhaps it is worth ordering the plastics tree with plastic tubes that go over the rear piston rods so I can cut those down to suit.
This is exactly what I did, or if you have, like me, a lot of front IFS suspension parts (that also come in a form of a tree), you can use the plastic tubes of the original little turnbuckle that links the arm and the lever. Oh, and I forget to say that you'll have to dremel a bit the upper deck to give room for the springs

For your tires question, I can't help because here in Belgium, we use handout tyres, the Ride R1...

Best regards,
G-rem
Old 06-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

I've just ordered the shocks, springs and selection of tyres. I think for me the only way to know with the tyres is to test them all. I guess we have kind of opposite situations, so far only me and 1 friend racing our F1's at the local club and we have no rules or hand out tyres or anything. So long as it looks like an F1 it's fine with us =]

Thanks again, you've been a big help and I look forward to seeing your belt drive conversion and guide.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Had the car on the track yesterday with the ball diff and new shocks. Both were great and make the car easier to drive/throw around. The ball diff kept working loose though so not sure if I need to tighten it more to start with or if a bit of thread lock on the nut will sort it so will give it a go.

I bought the exotek front hubs but had to take them off before racing as I can't get a decent amount of steering lock with them. They foul the part on the lower wishbone where the shock linkage attaches. Anyone else had this problem? I can't see how I can make them clear but perhaps someone can tell me where I'm going wrong?

Still need to do something about the rear tyres squealing, I've got some more tyres to try now but perhaps less heat/additive will sort the current ones so will give that a try too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.